U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM

329 posts, read 399,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
I'm not interested in working for Toblerone or in a cuckoo clock factory.
guys at Toblerone make probably 4000$ to 8000$ a month. one job, 42hours a week, retirement, 5 weeks paid holyday and 2 years unemployment security.

enjoy ur mac do job guys...

i tell u there is better out there... but u guys are stubborn...
after summer I m moving to the east. got job offer.

why I don't stay in my country? , not because there is no job, it s because I don't like winter so much and I like to work in foreign countries... but no fast food.

the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 PM

27,328 posts, read 15,780,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think their suggestions are outdated and irrelevant. And I was laid after my company shut down in 2010, it took me a couple months to get a job, but I did get one. Yes, you usually do apply to jobs online anymore. Many still do take resume's. (Actually, I got a job in 2010 worked for the company for a year,
I didn't like it or the hours, so applied and got another job 2 years ago, that is working out much better.
I know that decent jobs are hard to find out there, especially if you don't possess a degree...but if you hang in their, you will eventually find your niche.
Thank you for your kind words. I think the issue is that we have expectations that may be outdated due to no one challenging the heuristics. Whether it is "jobs exist", "something is better than nothing", ect. We have all seen these ideas shaken up by the past 4/5 years.

I have the reverse problem (one many millennials have.) I have the degree but "no (relevant) experience." It use to be degree was king, experience was queen. Now it seems experience is King and the degree is an Ace that can both ways.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
This happens far too often on this forum as well. People post comments who have clearly been out of the job hunt for quite some time.

I guess that's what you get with a public forum. There are no rules against ignorance in the TOS.
We see these same posts I take it. Ones that say job fairs are worth while mean while it is go online and we rarely take resumes (even though you are told to print out 30 or so (let alone making them job specific.) In closing, you can only fix ignorance to a point. Then it becomes a mental block or stupidity.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So you turned in your green card and went back home. Ergo, since life is so much better for you now why are you so obsessive about finding every possible thread you can on different forums to knock the USA? You've broadcast your opinion far and wide. Don't you think it's time to give it a rest and apply yourself to more important issues now you've made your move?
I'd go so far as saying that he should drop more knowledge on us. This is the first I'm reading of his venture. I'm sure there are other people who'd like to read more as well.

There probably are countries out there that are better than the U.S. in terms of job security and living standards. I don't doubt it one bit. I'd even be open to moving if the right opportunity came up. I don't mind people sharing their stories. There aren't any rules against posting blatantly false information on here right? So why not read about what's going on outside our borders.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We see these same posts I take it. Ones that say job fairs are worth while mean while it is go online and we rarely take resumes (even though you are told to print out 30 or so (let alone making them job specific.) In closing, you can only fix ignorance to a point. Then it becomes a mental block or stupidity.
Absolutely. I left this forum for a few months because of how outrageous it gets. Funny thing is, this is supposed a diversion from the crap we deal with in our regular lives, while a lot of times it ends up pissing us off even more. A lot of times, the only people who get satisfaction from this forum are those that get joy out of ruffling feathers. Those members know who they are. They're in a good place in life, not much to worry about. They see these people complaining and they do everything in their effort to shoot them down and destroy their spirit all under the guise of "we're trying to advise you, but you're just not listening".

Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I'd go so far as saying that he should drop more knowledge on us. This is the first I'm reading of his venture. I'm sure there are other people who'd like to read more as well.

There probably are countries out there that are better than the U.S. in terms of job security and living standards. I don't doubt it one bit. I'd even be open to moving if the right opportunity came up. I don't mind people sharing their stories. There aren't any rules against posting blatantly false information on here right? So why not read about what's going on outside our borders.
Nope, judging by what you said in your last post about the ignorant posters on here.

Here's the issue whether it is a US citizen, someone in the process or on a visa, they may be able to make the move to another country (whether or not it is home.) The juice has to be worth the squeeze. It sounds like it may be for charly but if the normal answer isn't that, it is maybe not a good idea to move. Maybe he just had the best case to go for the move. I would like to see him explain himself.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
It sounds like it may be for charly but if the normal answer isn't that, it is maybe not a good idea to move. Maybe he just had the best case to go for the move. I would like to see him explain himself.
It's not complicated and you can read all about it by going back on his posts as they're all about the same issue. He allegedly came to the US on a green card and I believe he was only in the country for a relatively short time before deciding that he totally disliked everything about it and allegedly "turned in" his green card and left. Or so the story goes.

Moving to a new country/a new culture is a very big deal and adjustment to a new way of life takes different people different lengths of time. Charly didn't find the USA to his liking and Charly has for some reason embarked upon a campaign to infiltrate as many CD forums as he can to express his total disregard for the country. Just my opinion that it seems a bit of a waste of time and energy. He came, he saw and he didn't conquer.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,857,601 times
...I don't get why parried is being picked on. Someone mind filling me in? He's not far from the truth. It's hard to get even a low paying job these days, combined with the fact that you have folks who have tons of experience competing for those jobs just to stay relevant in the workplace.

I just had a really good interview with Indeed Inc. and I did land a part-time job at a call center (training starts the 29th). I'm just crossing my fingers and toes that I got the better deal.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM

827 posts, read 943,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
...I don't get why parried is being picked on. Someone mind filling me in? He's not far from the truth. It's hard to get even a low paying job these days, combined with the fact that you have folks who have tons of experience competing for those jobs just to stay relevant in the workplace.

I just had a really good interview with Indeed Inc. and I did land a part-time job at a call center (training starts the 29th). I'm just crossing my fingers and toes that I got the better deal.
He's a troll. He's on his 3rd username here over the last few years and all of his threads consist of the same complaining. He's been giving plenty of good advice over the years, but refuses any of it.

Basically, people are tired of his schtick.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
I was talking with my parents and I notice that suggestions that they offer such as going to job fairs are out dated and irrelevant. I want to know why is it that many people do not have a clue either how tough it is to be looking for work, the new processes and/or the way companies handle the processes. As I said to them, with my experience in retail and getting a customer service degree I should not "fail" a retail assessment (and yes I did just strongly agree/disagree except one in that portion.)

I was so impressed when one of the guys I help find jobs for came to me today and said........."I didn'tgo any where near that job fair yesterday because it's nothing but a cattle call"

LOL, I was so impressed that I decided to forward him atleast 1 job lead a day because he was able to see that Job fairs are a joke and outdated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search