Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,376,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I was so impressed when one of the guys I help find jobs for came to me today and said........."I didn'tgo any where near that job fair yesterday because it's nothing but a cattle call"

LOL, I was so impressed that I decided to forward him atleast 1 job lead a day because he was able to see that Job fairs are a joke and outdated
Nice to know you selectively help people, looking down on those who are trying everything they can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I am losing faith in america every day. The years 2010-early 2012 were rough, dark times for me. I burnt myself out trying to find a job, and it was annoying to see the same fast food positions reposted, and being told by an overweight manager to check back in a few months, to no avail. This is practically the first time in history where you can apply for a fast food job, and never hear a word on wether your application is being looked at or considered for an interview. Not to be hired, but for an INTERVIEW. It just blows my mind.

Most of the time you have to know someone to get a fast food job. People who work there get their friends and family hired

Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Nice to know you selectively help people, looking down on those who are trying everything they can think of.

He was actually added to the list of people I focus on finding jobs for the most because of their experience.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 PM

29,635 posts, read 24,648,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
This happens far too often on this forum as well. People post comments who have clearly been out of the job hunt for quite some time.

I guess that's what you get with a public forum. There are no rules against ignorance in the TOS.
Sounds like a sweeping generalization and also a general assumption.

I decided to change jobs about a year ago. Last I checked, people were complaining in 2012 just the same. Matter of fact, I believe people were complaining even more. When I decided to start sending resumes and making phone calls, I had a job offer after about 1 week. The advantages that I had were 4 years of related experience, a low unemployment rate in my particular occupation, and I was working 2nd shift so I could interview in the morning.

While my experience was positive, I can understand the challenges for young workers with little/no experience. In good times, a college degree can be an adequate substitute for experience, but not so much in down times. This has always been the case, so expecting things to change is wishful thinking. It doesn't mean employers are evil and it doesn't mean the system is broken. It just means that a fair number of people are going to have a rather difficult time entering the workforce, and those that do may have to work for less while they get experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
...I don't get why parried is being picked on. Someone mind filling me in? He's not far from the truth. It's hard to get even a low paying job these days, combined with the fact that you have folks who have tons of experience competing for those jobs just to stay relevant in the workplace.

I just had a really good interview with Indeed Inc. and I did land a part-time job at a call center (training starts the 29th). I'm just crossing my fingers and toes that I got the better deal.
Because he/she is an unapologetic thread hijacker. Every post of his/hers is the same thing over and over again... The world is unfair and I am entitled to a job. Eventually, it get's very old. This poster has been offered a plethora of advice. At every turn, this poster has a response for why the advice is invalid. It appears as those this poster is simply here to complain and berate employers.

The poster is chasing low skill, low paying service sector jobs where anyone can do the work. They feel these employers should be handing jobs to folks right off the street in great numbers, which was the case before the recession. Things are different now, and they don't quite understand this.

And another thing... This poster clearly hates employers, yet he/she wants employers to offer him/her a job???

And this is not even touching on the wide range of disabilities this poster claims to have, and also claims employers must accommodate for. If the poster spent less time here and more time working towards finding employment, while acknowledging the fact that the world will not conform to their demands, chances are much better that their fortunes would change.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,400,807 times
Wide range of disabilities? You mean the other things I told you about? I never said those were disabilities for me, just nuisances. I just have a case of aspergers syndrome that I've learned to cope with and deal with.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Wide range of disabilities? You mean the other things I told you about? I never said those were disabilities for me, just nuisances. I just have a case of aspergers syndrome that I've learned to cope with and deal with.
You have claimed that employers must furnish employees who will provide you with words of encouragement, and never critique anything about you or your performance. You have claimed that you cannot stand for long periods of time because you are too tall.... Apparently, this is a disability and it effects your spine. I'm no doctor but that sounds outrageous. It also severely limits the number of jobs you can apply to. I have seen overweight middle aged folks stand for hours on end without displaying any signs of discomfort.

You have a number of greatest hits floating around, which is why many, if no most, take your complaining with a grain of salt.

I would wonder how your admitted hatred for employers effects your conduct and tone during interviews, and if potential employers pick up on this. You might claim one thing, but reality might be quite different. I thought you blocked me since you did not like my advice and critique???

Quote:
Most of the time you have to know someone to get a fast food job. People who work there get their friends and family hired
Yup, because fast food work is right up there with union jobs. Everyone is dying to get their family in there!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,417,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sounds like a sweeping generalization and also a general assumption.

I decided to change jobs about a year ago. Last I checked, people were complaining in 2012 just the same. Matter of fact, I believe people were complaining even more. When I decided to start sending resumes and making phone calls, I had a job offer after about 1 week. The advantages that I had were 4 years of related experience, a low unemployment rate in my particular occupation, and I was working 2nd shift so I could interview in the morning.

While my experience was positive, I can understand the challenges for young workers with little/no experience. In good times, a college degree can be an adequate substitute for experience, but not so much in down times. This has always been the case, so expecting things to change is wishful thinking. It doesn't mean employers are evil and it doesn't mean the system is broken. It just means that a fair number of people are going to have a rather difficult time entering the workforce, and those that do may have to work for less while they get experience.
Great post, makes sense, but it has nothing to do with my comment. These are two completely different subjects we're talking about.

I'm referring to the harsh criticism and, at times, ruthless terrorizing that occurs on this forum; or the utter lack of empathy often on display. It's absurd, it's harmful, and it's unnecessary. Fortunately, on sub-forums such as this, we have good, responsive mods who are typically quick to put out any fires. Elsewhere, I can't say the same. People post some outright stupid or spiteful comments and it goes unnoticed or completely void of accountability.

Last edited by Tekkie; 07-19-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Great post, makes sense, but it has nothing to do with my comment. These are two completely different subjects we're talking about.

I'm referring to the harsh criticism and, at times, ruthless terrorizing that occurs on this forum; or the utter lack of empathy often on display. It's absurd, it's harmful, and it's unnecessary. Fortunately, on sub-forums such as this, we have good, responsive mods who are typically quick to put out any fires. Elsewhere, I can't say the same. People post some outright stupid or spiteful comments and it goes unnoticed or completely void of accountability.
We have know it alls on both sides of the table. There's a couple in particular that fill every thread with perpetual complaining about their misfortune, along with their personal vendetta against employers. They seem to feel that their misfortune is entirely the fault of outside forces, and if they can't make it, the system is obviously broken. These excuse makers will be in the same situation for months, possibly years. Instead of making an effort to change, they convince themselves that any painstaking effort is not worth the trouble because it obviously won't do any good.

We also have the types who feel that everyone down on their luck is there due to their own poor choices or lack of effort. These folks are often times filling the voids they have in their own lives with one uppery and the belittling of internet dwellers.

Usually, career success, or lack there of, is influenced by a combination of factors. Personal effort is important, but if opportunities are few and far between, only a limited number of candidates will have the opportunity to capitalize. The rest will be left to roam internet forums like these, spreading their views regarding the private sector. The guy or gal who got the job would take a much different tone, but they don't exactly have the time to share their success story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
I'm thinking this is the former TVandsportsguy. He is/was a troll who spent about 1 year collecting unemployment as he turned down piles of jobs he deemed beneath him. He was a riot, and created countless 100 page running threads that had folks continuously questioning his logic. A career counselor who had some of the worst job hunting tactics ever.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We have know it alls on both sides of the table. There's a couple in particular that fill every thread with perpetual complaining about their misfortune, along with their personal vendetta against employers. They seem to feel that their misfortune is entirely the fault of outside forces, and if they can't make it, the system is obviously broken. These excuse makers will be in the same situation for months, possibly years. Instead of making an effort to change, they convince themselves that any painstaking effort is not worth the trouble because it obviously won't do any good.

We also have the types who feel that everyone down on their luck is there due to their own poor choices or lack of effort. These folks are often times filling the voids they have in their own lives with one uppery and the belittling of internet dwellers.

Usually, career success, or lack there of, is influenced by a combination of factors. Personal effort is important, but if opportunities are few and far between, only a limited number of candidates will have the opportunity to capitalize. The rest will be left to roam internet forums like these, spreading their views regarding the private sector. The guy or gal who got the job would take a much different tone, but they don't exactly have the time to share their success story.

I'm thinking this is the former TVandsportsguy. He is/was a troll who spent about 1 year collecting unemployment as he turned down piles of jobs he deemed beneath him. He was a riot, and created countless 100 page running threads that had folks continuously questioning his logic. A career counselor who had some of the worst job hunting tactics ever.

Yes it's me I changed my name and still giving out solid employment advice that is not cliche

Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Yes it's me I changed my name and still giving out solid employment advice that is not cliche
So employers should be on the lookout for hordes of applicants doing "test interviews"? It's no wonder jobs continue to leave this country with shenanigans like this. Hopefully, you found that job that doesn't involve waking up too early or commuting longer than 15 minutes each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search