Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,400,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I know this has been mentioned before but the tone of your posts in general really isn't very pleasant and you sound very bitter on the subject of employment. Unfortunately this sort of attitude shines through whether you realize it or not and prospective employers will shy away from it. I realize the job search is frustrating but it would really be better for you not to be so immediately dismissive of people's comments.

Have you considered (or participated in) any sort of job counseling or further education? When a continuing strategy fails to produce results it generally makes good sense to change the tack. Good luck.
It's funny that this "bad attitude" ghost you keep bringing up is supposedly being noticed by prospective employers when I don't even get called in for an interview, after filling out another online application.

Yes, being a young kid and feeling perplexed as to why I'd been applying for fast food jobs for so long and not getting as much as a call back of some kind. While seeing others get jobs with not so much as lifting a few fingers. But somehow I am the lazy one, the bad guy, the screw up.

Having a family that tries to force and encourage you to live on the dole for your ENTIRE life and not question it, challenge it, disagree with it or walk away from it and not strive for anything better, but just accept defeat, and give up. Something I can't do.

I want to WORK. I'm young. I have no criminal history and have never done drugs. It doesn't matter what is done because it is NEVER good enough.

You don't know how it is to STRUGGLE to get even a fast food job over the course of several years and not being able to get it, for some unknown reason.

All the while I am rotting away, collecting SSI for which I have no real desire to be on anymore, wondering why the heck this planet and the people on it have such a problem with me wanting to get up every day and do an honest days work and contribute my part.

Time and time again, one thing has proven itself clear. The people, the atmosphere and the area around me has shown that it does not want me to be a productive member of society, and honestly, this seems like an episode of the twilight zone.

"I want to work, will you please hire me for me once, I am tired of filling out these applications and having to chase you down all the time."

Then the zombie says in a monotone voice: "Stop being lazy. Stop "faking" your disability and taking taxpayer money. You have a bad attitude. Employers can see it. It doesn't matter if the application was seen or not."

The disability "critics" are a dime a dozen, you can almost see the mustache growing on them. They complain about disabled people not wanting to work, and then when I, the disabled guy comes along and says yoo-hoo, I'm DYING for a flippin job over here, they are still spouting their junk about how EVERYBODY is scamming the system and looking for an easy way out. Do I have to slap someone in the face to make myself known?

Then I go home to a house with 2 parents at the dinner table saying: "Forget about working. Just relax. Your check will be here in a few days. You can't ever work, nevermind the fact that you've shoveled snow, and even worked at retail before."

I am living in a world where gnorance and corruption is promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,001,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Yes, being a young kid and feeling perplexed as to why I'd been applying for fast food jobs for so long and not getting as much as a call back of some kind. While seeing others get jobs with not so much as lifting a few fingers. But somehow I am the lazy one, the bad guy, the screw up.
What this says is that it's not "the system" that's failing you as your posts always indicate.
You'll need to look at what you are/aren't doing when others are finding jobs while you are not .

Old 07-19-2013, 11:59 AM

329 posts, read 458,480 times
go get fast food jobs guys... and enjoy counting pennies...
what u make? 1000$ a month? . after tax 800$, 200 bucks a week.

30 bucks for fuel, pay ur food, and your shoes... plus rent, insurance...

fast food job will pay you minus 1000$. yes MINUS 1000$ because to make this job worths u need to complete with your own money.

it s not even a job... it s a **** task...

so you are losing money, you fool... to flip burgers...

wiser to stay at home and look for a proper job.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Who are the "people" who are "out of touch" that you're talking about.

If they haven't looked for a job in the past 5-10 years -- why WOULDN"T they be out of touch. I wouldn't necessarily EXPECT them to know anything about job searching today.

If they've been out there looking and can't seem to 'navigate' the job hunt -- they may just need some one to 'get real' with them about the way things are these days.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,400,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What this says is that it's not "the system" that's failing you as your posts always indicate.
You'll need to look at what you are/aren't doing when others are finding jobs while you are not .
It is the system. As well as the people around me. They have failed me.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
It's funny that this "bad attitude" ghost you keep bringing up is supposedly being noticed by prospective employers when I don't even get called in for an interview, after filling out another online application.

I "keep bringing it up"?

You don't know how it is to STRUGGLE to get even a fast food job over the course of several years and not being able to get it, for some unknown reason.

Of course I know nothing about struggling in the workplace. I've had that proverbial silver spoon in my mouth since I left home to go to work when I was 16 years old, half a century ago and it's just been a wonderfully smooth path.

Then I go home to a house with 2 parents at the dinner table saying: "Forget about working. Just relax. Your check will be here in a few days. You can't ever work, nevermind the fact that you've shoveled snow, and even worked at retail before."

At least you're (apparently) not paying attention to them!

I am living in a world where gnorance and corruption is promoted.

Not in my world. It's certainly there but not "promoted".
You didn't answer my last paragraph which contained suggestions. Even if you don't have direct access to continuing education there are scores of online educational tools you can take advantage of to give you a leg up.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,727,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
go get fast food jobs guys... and enjoy counting pennies...
what u make? 1000$ a month? . after tax 800$, 200 bucks a week.

30 bucks for fuel, pay ur food, and your shoes... plus rent, insurance...

fast food job will pay you minus 1000$. yes MINUS 1000$ because to make this job worths u need to complete with your own money.

it s not even a job... it s a **** task...

so you are losing money, you fool... to flip burgers...

wiser to stay at home and look for a proper job.
And the flip side (no pun intended) what if your area don't have "proper jobs" and all you have are the minimum wage jobs like retail and fast food. Also remember the longer you don't have a job (even if you are looking), you are more and more unemployable. It's a coin toss, lose money by spending it to get gas and to work or get unemployment and be unemployed for X number of weeks or months more.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,727,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Who are the "people" who are "out of touch" that you're talking about.

If they haven't looked for a job in the past 5-10 years -- why WOULDN"T they be out of touch. I wouldn't necessarily EXPECT them to know anything about job searching today.

If they've been out there looking and can't seem to 'navigate' the job hunt -- they may just need some one to 'get real' with them about the way things are these days.
Oh I agree but how do you tell these people (mostly those who have jobs and/or retired) how they can "get real" most do not really care because it's not "their problem." Yet who will be complaining when medicare and social security payments are lessened because of less people paying in...<_<

Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
It is the system. As well as the people around me. They have failed me.
Systems aren't failing you, others aren't failing you. Put on your big boy pants and stop blaming everything and everyone around you. The only person who's failing you is you and you can reverse that cycle.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,056,412 times
most good jobs are found through a friend, nieghbor, etc or a referrral. Job fairs are all pyramid schemes, 100% commission sales jobs or pt bus driver jobs for the most part.

why people are out of touch becaues thats how hirnig was done in their day. heck thats how hiring was donw 10 years ago. with the intenret now its all gonna be interenet or referals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search