U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times

Advertisements

more and more companies are instituting policies where supervisors may not give references for former employees, and instead they only provide dates of employment.

i've been thinking about this a lot lately because my former (as of a few hours ago) employer has a policy like this and it kind of bugs me. i've been hearing all day about how valuable and irreplaceable and amazing i am, and how my manager couldn't sleep last night worrying about me leaving, etc. and i made sure to leave everything orderly and well documented and accounted for, so the transition could be as smooth as possible (they haven't found a replacement for me yet). and what do i get for that? nothing but the satisfaction that i did the right thing, i guess. i could have spend my notice period goofing off and the results would be the same for me.

because all of this nice stuff counts for nothing in my future career. it's a 3 year hole in my job history that i can't account for with a reference, and i already have a couple of those because of a boss who passed away and another employer who doesn't do references. i have performance reviews, but they didn't satisfy my new employer (they requested a peer reference and a call with my manager to verify the policy), and i doubt that's unusual.

so i know these policies are meant to prevent litigation - employees saying a bad reference cost them a job, and maybe employers saying a good one caused a bad hire? i dunno. does this really happen? and if so, how often? is it really worth screwing over former employees and leaving them without any proof of their job performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM

27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
It's partially due to employers having lawsuits over alleged bad mouthing because technically all they have to say is did they work here in that position and are the dates correct?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
I made sure all my previous supervisors gave me a reference because it looks better. And i plan to continue that since I have no problem maintaining good working relationships with any supervisor

Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I made sure all my previous supervisors gave me a reference because it looks better. And i plan to continue that since I have no problem maintaining good working relationships with any supervisor
that doesn't help when the company has a strict no reference policy. my supervisors love me at this job, but they are prohibited by corporate policy from giving me references. it has nothing to do with our working relationships, which are excellent.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's partially due to employers having lawsuits over alleged bad mouthing because technically all they have to say is did they work here in that position and are the dates correct?
technically they don't have to say anything. i just wonder how justified this fear of lawsuits is - like how much it's actually happened or if it's just something that lawyers figure MIGHT conceivably happen.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that doesn't help when the company has a strict no reference policy. my supervisors love me at this job, but they are prohibited by corporate policy from giving me references. it has nothing to do with our working relationships, which are excellent.

That sounds so dumb to me, so a person can't use a supervisor as a reference which is someone who knows all about what type of worker they are

Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 PM

27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
Quote:
technically they don't have to say anything. i just wonder how justified this fear of lawsuits is - like how much it's actually happened or if it's just something that lawyers figure MIGHT conceivably happen.
I think it is perceived but there is likely a shred of truth that someone completely character assassinated a current or former employee in a way that was complete lies and was somehow found out.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
Quote:
I haven't seen that before. What happens to me is most mangers in the same industry all know each other so they just call direct without asking.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 PM

i give out my manager's phone number, but she abides by the policy and just refers them to a website where they can verify my employment. maybe some people wouldn't follow the policy, but she does, as does my other main manager. i also wasn't looking in the same industry or geographical area as my last job. i do think a fair number of managers ignore policies like this, and good for them.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM

12,566 posts, read 15,036,884 times
Keep in mind that this is the "official" policy. Many hiring managers use the "backdoor" and their network to obtain "unofficial" references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search