U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM

570 posts, read 1,504,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
Ok, wise guy. My buddy who works at one of the "Big 4" tech companies told me that your major is just a label and they care only about what skills you have. That's the only reason I'm trying in the first place.

Read this article:

Coding Horror: Why Can't Programmers.. Program?

"Like me, the author is having trouble with the fact that 199 out of 200 applicants for every programming job can't write code at all. I repeat: they can't write any code whatsoever."

The things is, I can write code, and I'm confident that I do it well. I spend a lot of my free time on Stack Overflow learning the coolest ways of solving problems and how to adhere to the best coding principles.
yeah, your major doesn't matter. If you can show people that you can write code and a good problem solver, people will hire you. I interview many people who said they can write code, but they were wrong.
It's very hard to get good developer in the market. That's why you steal other companies' developers. Good developers don't apply for jobs, jobs look for them.

Last edited by spotlesseden; 07-23-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM

38 posts, read 103,055 times
Quote:
The things is, I can write code, and I'm confident that I do it well. I spend a lot of my free time on Stack Overflow learning the coolest ways of solving problems and how to adhere to the best coding principles.
Ok ill repeat my self, do you have personal open sourced projects and/or contributed to an existing OSS project and can show code examples or link to a code repository showing your work?

What kind of developer are you trying to be? Web based? Native applications? Mobile applications?
Do you have samples of code to show you know how to code each of these kinds of applications?

How do you show you know best practices?

You said you have taken java courses what other languages do you know?

My school used java in their main course work but by the time i graduated I had personal projects coded that i could use as samples in:
  • C/C++ (samples using DirectX and openGl)
  • PHP (LAMP stack application)
  • PERL
  • C# ( data driven with MSSQL)
  • Java (Client-server pair application using sockets and encryption and swing)
  • 8086 Asm

Can you compete with fresh grads that have that kind of portfolio?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM

213 posts, read 431,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharroun View Post
Ok ill repeat my self, do you have personal open sourced projects and/or contributed to an existing OSS project and can show code examples or link to a code repository showing your work?

What kind of developer are you trying to be? Web based? Native applications? Mobile applications?
Do you have samples of code to show you know how to code each of these kinds of applications?

How do you show you know best practices?

You said you have taken java courses what other languages do you know?

My school used java in their main course work but by the time i graduated I had personal projects coded that i could use as samples in:
  • C/C++ (samples using DirectX and openGl)
  • PHP (LAMP stack application)
  • PERL
  • C# ( data driven with MSSQL)
  • Java (Client-server pair application using sockets and encryption and swing)
  • 8086 Asm

Can you compete with fresh grads that have that kind of portfolio?
I probably couldn't compete with fresh grads who have that type of portfolio. But really, did you have experience before you entered college? Did you just dabble with each of those languages during college for coursework, and those projects were part of your coursework? Would it be better to have a base knowledge and experience in 10 different languages and technologies rather than knowing 1 or 2 languages very well? Does it help at all if I have a good mathematical background and so I understand in the fullest sense how to implement Fourier Transforms for image compression?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM

570 posts, read 1,504,163 times
Quote:
I probably couldn't compete with fresh grads who have that type of portfolio. But really, did you have experience before you entered college? Did you just dabble with each of those languages during college for coursework, and those projects were part of your coursework? Would it be better to have a base knowledge and experience in 10 different languages and technologies rather than knowing 1 or 2 languages very well? Does it help at all if I have a good mathematical background and so I understand in the fullest sense how to implement Fourier Transforms for image compression?

you need know one technology very well. I only know asp.net C#, MVC, sql. that's one technology. I can get a interview as soon as I post my resume to dice. I don't need to learn java, php...

And you learn those by work on your own project.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
The programming jobs that you are looking at on the job boards? Do you meet the requirements? Don't most of the jobs ask for x years experience in specific technologies and/or IT/CS degree? There is usually a gatekeeper of some sort that scans for the requirements. If you don't meet the requirements, they aren't going to consider you for most jobs.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The programming jobs that you are looking at on the job boards? Do you meet the requirements? Don't most of the jobs ask for x years experience in specific technologies and/or IT/CS degree? There is usually a gatekeeper of some sort that scans for the requirements. If you don't meet the requirements, they aren't going to consider you for most jobs.
Ok, then I don't know what the **** I'm gonna do for a job. I guess it was useless to teach myself programming.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,044,183 times
Ok give up.
all the aspiring 'IT' guys whining on this board should give up. Youre not going to get anywhere in IT without processing information, recognizing patterns, or recognizing where *you* screwed up.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
Quote:
Ok, then I don't know what the **** I'm gonna do for a job. I guess it was useless to teach myself programming.
That was a question...are you having any luck meeting the mininum qualifications for programmig positions? Didn't mean to get you upset. Just wondering what you are seeing in the job ads. How many jobs do you meet the min qualifications for? Enough to find new job ads each day where you meet the qualifications? Otherwise try plan B or C or D.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,630,863 times
Quote:
Do you have a LinkedIn profile?
Do you have code samples?
What information do you have on your resume?

I'm a programmer but my undergrad degree is in Geography. learned how to write code when my employer started asking for "maps on the Web." I've since moved on to another job and used a lot of samples from work projects and things I had done on my own outside of work.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Do you have a LinkedIn profile?
Do you have code samples?
What information do you have on your resume?
I have a LinkedIn profile. What would suffice for a code sample? Write now I'm making a captcha solver that is like 400 lines of code spread over 3 .h files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or