U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,591,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
I have had employers ask me what I expect for a salary, but they will not tell me the salary range. It makes it difficult because I don't want to say something too low or too high.
Do you not know what you are worth? Just ask for that. If you don't know, find out.

For example, I am worth $75/hr or $650/day. I know this because I have been paid that much before. I don't always get that amount, sometimes with new clients I have to negotiate down a little because of budget constraints. But that is where I always start with my offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,375,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Don't ask for an amount, then immediately say you are flexible! It is an invitation for them to low-ball you. Just wait to see what they say before going Gumby all over the place.
ohh that makes sense! I always give them what I think I'm worth because I've been paid it before..but I always get low balled. eh...at least these are just part tiem jobs through college. When I start my career in a few months, I hope its different.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,591,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
ohh that makes sense! I always give them what I think I'm worth because I've been paid it before..but I always get low balled. eh...at least these are just part tiem jobs through college. When I start my career in a few months, I hope its different.
I hope so too! First jobs are hard to negotiate for, but as you go up the ladder and have a track record and reputation preceding you, it gets easier and more effective.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I hope so too! First jobs are hard to negotiate for, but as you go up the ladder and have a track record and reputation preceding you, it gets easier and more effective.
Ya, that's what I hear! I think I'm pretty smart, just gotta convey it somehow and hopefully that'll earn me better pay.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,577,979 times
The strangest thing I was ever asked during an interview was during a second's lull in the interviewing process when the young man, completely out of the blue and it having absolutely nothing to do with the position, said, "D'you like football?"

It's rarely I'm stuck for words but it took me a couple of seconds to wrap my head around the question and to which I finally responded, "Um, actually no. Now, getting back to what we were discussing ..." I'll never forget that one!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The strangest thing I was ever asked during an interview was during a second's lull in the interviewing process when the young man, completely out of the blue and it having absolutely nothing to do with the position, said, "D'you like football?"

It's rarely I'm stuck for words but it took me a couple of seconds to wrap my head around the question and to which I finally responded, "Um, actually no. Now, getting back to what we were discussing ..." I'll never forget that one!

Hilarious! I was once asked about if I have a boyfriend...but it wasnt' creepy cause i was being interviewed by a couple of young women so it was cool, but pretty funny at the same time.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:24 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,934,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
1. What is your policy on employee theft?

2. How hard is it to get fired here?

3. Do you tolerate habitual tardiness?
4) I only have to take the one drug test right?

5) Whats the company policy on masturbation in the cubicles.

6) Do you have a lot of hot chicks working here?

7) I am going to have to ask Mom if she thinks I should take the job.

8) What time is it OK to start drinking?

9) Is it mandatory I take showers during the work week?

10) Will my micro-waved fish diet be a problem?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:29 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,422,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
4) I only have to take the one drug test right?

5) Whats the company policy on masturbation in the cubicles.

6) Do you have a lot of hot chicks working here?

7) I am going to have to ask Mom if she thinks I should take the job.

8) What time is it OK to start drinking?

9) Is it mandatory I take showers during the work week?

10) Will my micro-waved fish diet be a problem?

11) How many hours can I spend on the internet during work hours?

12) When exactly does the COLA raise start once someone is hired?

13) If I get to work 30 mintues early can I leave 30 minutes earlier instead of my regular time

LOL

Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM

6,592 posts, read 8,040,724 times
14) how long until I'm qualified to take over your job?
15) do most people leave early to beat the traffic?
16) can we have a beer at lunch?

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,857,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That's when you do your research on what the salary range is for the position so you can state a range. And if the number they say is way below the lowest number of your salary range then you end the interview and move on.

I worked for a large corporation with a higher pay scale than places at which I have interviewed. I know what I am worth, but I would never get it. Until very recently I have not had any company ask me what I expected to be paid. They have always stated a salary and we have negotiated from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or