U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I bet you offended him and didn't get the job, right?
I didn't offend him one bit and against my better judgment I actually took him on. He was the nephew of an acquaintance ... It was a huge mistake and I fired him at the end of his second day on the job. He was seriously the thickest employee I ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
1. Don't ask how much the job pays and this is the only question you ask.
2. I once overheard an interview (conducted in a cubicle next to my office) where the interviewer asked, "are you better than the next guy?" The quick response was, "yeah, absolutely!" - he wasn't hired. Better answer? "I can't speak for the next guy, but I can assure you that I will be the type of employee my experience shows I have always been: a very good engineer who works hard to meet deadlines and who strives to produce top quality work." - This was my answer to the same question and an offer was made to me that same night.
3. Overusing the annoying crutch word, "like". It's irritating and indicates immaturity. A close second is saying "cool" or "sweet." Great if you're in the 9th grade surrounded by a bunch of surfers, but not good in interviews. When I hear someone use any of these words, it doesn't matter what else they are, it's over.

Every interview is different and sometimes what works in one may be inappropriate in another. My best friend was being interviewed by IBM when we were in college. The interviewer asked him, "Is there any way I can do to make you more comfortable Mr. ---?" He responded, "Yeah, let's trade places." This got a chuckle out of the interviewer and later my buddy was extended an offer.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM

27,336 posts, read 15,785,066 times
If anything "yes that sounds good" which I normally say during phone screenings just so I do not ramble on which I do at times. I am working on that but it is a hard skill to dial back. I am not sure why the "yes that sounds good" line is all that bad. In some cases that is a good response (namely if it's about the position during phone screen interviews.)

Old 07-22-2013, 06:39 AM

10,220 posts, read 12,258,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Don't ask for an amount, then immediately say you are flexible! It is an invitation for them to low-ball you. Just wait to see what they say before going Gumby all over the place.

First rule in negotiating: Make your offer and SHUT UP!......First one to speak lost the challenge!

It can be very uncomfortable for a few seconds but it works. Never talk yourself out of the sale.....

Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
4) I only have to take the one drug test right?

5) Whats the company policy on masturbation in the cubicles.

6) Do you have a lot of hot chicks working here?

7) I am going to have to ask Mom if she thinks I should take the job.

8) What time is it OK to start drinking?

9) Is it mandatory I take showers during the work week?

10) Will my micro-waved fish diet be a problem?

Absolutely classic!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

7) I am going to have to ask Mom if she thinks I should take the job.
I'm going to have to go onto a City Data forum and get a bunch of opinions from complete strangers about whether or not I should take the job.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM

I interviewed to be a financial planner. Went through 1 group meeting/interview and 4 individual interviews. In one of the final ones they had you practice a sales pitch, a closing funnel designed to make it easy for you to lie and close the deal. For me it stood out instantly as a credibility test. I didn't lie and got hired.

In college I got a job parking cars (valet). The company was Central Parking Systems (huge, publically traded etc) and they had about a 3 page questionnaire that repeated many of the same scenarios like:

1. Would you let a friend borrow money from your register if you would have it paid back by the end of your shift?
2. Would you take money and pay it back with your paycheck?
3. Would you report someone who made a mistake and kept only $10 cash?
4. If your friend needed $150 for a family emergency would you give them money out of the register until you got paid at the end of your shift?

Believe it or not, people failed it and didn't get hired. Seeing how this worked, I lied on the application and failed to mention that I had recently graduated from college. Figuring management might not hire me if I had more education that they did. I wanted the job (nights) and it was good money ($200+ a night). I worked there almost a year and had a blast doing it.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM

16,797 posts, read 14,545,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If anything "yes that sounds good" which I normally say during phone screenings just so I do not ramble on which I do at times. I am working on that but it is a hard skill to dial back. I am not sure why the "yes that sounds good" line is all that bad. In some cases that is a good response (namely if it's about the position during phone screen interviews.)
If you'd read the article you'd understand it was in the context of a salary offer. You should counteroffer the first amount rather than saying "yes that sounds good."

Quote:
It's called salary negotiation for a reason -- an employee's initial number is typically just a starting figure. This is important to remember, whether the number sounds lousy or fair. "Be prepared to come back with examples of your skills and value that support your worth," says Ellis. They want you, so remind them of why and they may be willing to fight for you in the form of added compensation.
You can also say that you have been offered more by another company and are weighing offers.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM

27,336 posts, read 15,785,066 times
Quote:
If you'd read the article you'd understand it was in the context of a salary offer. You should counteroffer the first amount rather than saying "yes that sounds good."
I would say that is fine iff you have looked at similar companies in the field and that is the "going rate" of the position. If say you are looking at an entry level job and know that entry level pay is say 30K-45K, and this job is offering say 35K-40K you wont really want to negotiate because that is above your no deal option. Now if it's say 25K, maybe high balling 35K when you want 30K (your low-end) is not a bad idea.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM

10,540 posts, read 15,605,797 times
Quote:
"What does this position typically pay?"

"Yes, that sounds good."

"...but I'm flexible on that."

Anyone guilty of this?

Salary Negotiation No-No's: 3 Things Never to Say in a Job Interview - Yahoo! Finance

I had enough job interviews to know better. I have traveled across the country, after very nice over the phone job interview, for in person one, just to find out that they want to pay me less than what I was making at that point. Thereafter, I have learned to put all that bs aside and, if it gets "close enough", to say - I know, this is not a welcomed question, but based on previous experiences, what is this position paying? Never had an issue.
#3 is a trap to step into. Flexible means you will become their slave in matter of 2 weeks. Once again, based on experiences, I have learned to ask for EVERYTHING in writing, down to the smallest job duty. And not to forget to discuss "parting conditions", including severance package.
Surprise. The more serious you sound and appear on those matters, the more respect they show you.
Mof, I recommend an over the phone interview, to "feel" the employer, before getting into any face to face discussions, and recommend having formal offer written up ahead of time.
It's like buying a car. It's all negotiable, and if you do not have it on paper, you signed yourself a sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or