U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
I have had employers ask me what I expect for a salary, but they will not tell me the salary range. It makes it difficult because I don't want to say something too low or too high.

You had better ask for enough to cover your mortgage and all living expenses with enough left over to go into savings and retirement accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I really think this is great advice. It's really true when you think this way...why on earth would they offer you higher when they know you'll accept a lower figure? I've been thinking about that number quite a bit, realizing that with more information, I may change it, but yes, throwing it out there and letting it fly seems best.

Question though: you say if your number is even close, they'll counteroffer...if it's not close, how do you salvage the conversation? I'd want to smooth it out but not sound desparate...you know, maintain the confidence without offending the employer...ideas?
Close is relative and the stakes get higher as you advance in your career.

If you are entry level there probably won't be any negotiating. You will be presented with a number, you add $1000/year to that figure and hope.

If you are a mid-career person you should have a reasonable idea as to what your field pays. If people in your position typically earn $60-$80k, throw out $83 as your number. Assuming you are correct on the typical range, you will get a counter offer somewhere between 60-80. If the company was only willing to pay $40, the conversation is probably over, but would you have wanted to take the job anyway?

If the company was willing to pay even higher than the range you has in mind they will probably accept the $83 number.

If you are really unsure, or really need the job, throw out a number and then signal that you are willing to negotiate. In that case I might ask for $70k contingent upon acceptable benefits. This allows you to bump your ask figure up if they agree too readily and you can make a case that ther benefits are not ideal. If they say $70 but only 2 weeks of vacation, you counter with $73 w/ 2 weeks, or $70 w/ 3 weeks.

Even if you know the canned benefits package you can always negotiate based upon leave time, employee contribution to health, flex time, etc.

Yes, this can be nerve wracking. Remember that the employer has something invested in this too. If they are asking about salary before any offer they are doing his in order to weed out people with expectations grosly out of whack with their budget. In my above example, $83 would keep you in the running. If salary comes up along with a tentative offer you are in a stronger position. They know they like you, and they really do not want to start interviews again. Employers are not going to stop the process without a really good reason.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,013,634 times
FB you give really good, detailed advice. Give the man his $500 prize!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or