U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,655,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Since you asked for thoughts...

You currently have 4 weeks + PTO, can work from home, and dont have the holiday pay issue. Why are you interested in the new job? I know you mentioned the pay bump earlier, is it that significant to make up for what you're losing? Is the new position also a good career move? Are you also considering any effects you may experience from a loss of tenure, such as retirement plan vesting?

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just playing devils advocate.
I know you responded again, but to answer this question, I was hoping for a less stressful environment overall and hoping for more competence at the management level.

I think I got my answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,013,634 times
Didn't you say you were taking your job with you?

Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Didn't you say you were taking your job with you?
I did. I've been looking for a new job off and on though for the past year or so. I really don't want to be in the sales environment anymore.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,127,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I know you responded again, but to answer this question, I was hoping for a less stressful environment overall and hoping for more competence at the management level.

I think I got my answer.
I think you did too. Better now than later!

That Labor Day thing bothered me too. You were right to question it.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,013,634 times
Quote:
I did. I've been looking for a new job off and on though for the past year or so. I really don't want to be in the sales environment anymore.
Good for you, good luck!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
They are real j.e.r.k.s. for retracking the offer due to your request. 5 PTO for 1 year is awful. They should be embarrassed to offer that.

Don't feel bad for trying to negotiate the extra PTO and the $1k extra. You really didn't ask for much extra and they could have come back and met you in the middle or they could have come back and said their offer is firm.

Be glad you didn't take that job. They would have been real a-holes to work with. Sounds like a real small outfit that counts every penny three times and wants you to do the work of three people 7x24.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
Quote:

I think I got my answer.
I don't see anything in your posts that says anything about the competence of management. Because they won't change for you they are incompetent?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM

2,370 posts, read 4,497,697 times
My reply will be unpopular, but in today's job market, if this is what is typically considered a "regular job" as opposed to something on the upper management level, then trying to negotiate additional perks after an offer has been sent is a bad move if you want the job. I'm not surprised that they rescinded the offer. They gave you their standard benefits package and trying to bargain for more probably turned them off. I don't know anyone that bargains with candidates unless the job is on the upper level. I'm not sure what their refusal to bargain has to do with management competence. Organizations typically have a standard benefits package that they extend to all candidates who meet their criteria and at levels below middle management, they are pretty non-negotiable.

Stress makes one's life miserable. It carries with you everywhere. Sunday nights are the worst as you dread having to go back to a place you despise the next morning. Under those conditions, a slight pay cut and perhaps less time off would more than make up for the health benefits of being in a new, different place that might be great to work albeit with a less attractive benefits package. You said in the other thread that you badly want to get out of a very stressful environment. I don't think you dodged a bullet by not getting the job. I think you lost out on an opportunity to get out of what is likely a very unhealthy environment. Even if it was only slightly less stressful than the current job, it's something and you could have kept your eye out for other opportunities while biding your time at the new place.

Didn't you move back across the country? It sounds like you are still where you were a year ago.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't see anything in your posts that says anything about the competence of management. Because they won't change for you they are incompetent?
Colorado and I have been members on here for some time and so we know a little about each other's background. My comment about competence was made in regards to my current employer, NOT this other company. Does that make sense?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
My reply will be unpopular, but in today's job market, if this is what is typically considered a "regular job" as opposed to something on the upper management level, then trying to negotiate additional perks after an offer has been sent is a bad move if you want the job. I'm not surprised that they rescinded the offer. They gave you their standard benefits package and trying to bargain for more probably turned them off. I don't know anyone that bargains with candidates unless the job is on the upper level. I'm not sure what their refusal to bargain has to do with management competence. Organizations typically have a standard benefits package that they extend to all candidates who meet their criteria and at levels below middle management, they are pretty non-negotiable.
I get what you're saying but, IME, their PTO policy is on the low end. If they're inflexible on the standard benefits pkg then they could've just responded "no, this is our standard bennies pkg which we cannot deviate from." instead of acting butthurt that someone had the gall to ask for extras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search