Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The company seems a bit, er, tight.
IME, standard seems to be 10-15 days a year (not including company holidays) and +1 day every year after that. Sick days run the gamut from 10 to unlimited.
Perhaps you can work it out with the hiring manager and take a comp day somewhere.
Yep, I'm going to call her back in about 10 minutes. I'm going to ask about getting PTO bumped up 10 days to make it 15 and see if I can get the Labor Day holiday paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The company seems a bit, er, tight.
IME, standard seems to be 10-15 days a year (not including company holidays) and +1 day every year after that. Sick days run the gamut from 10 to unlimited.
Perhaps you can work it out with the hiring manager and take a comp day somewhere.
Agreed in principal, but I think those numbers are on the higher end. These would be red flags for me about how this company views its employees. Maybe not deal breakers but I'd be skeptical. How are the health and retirement benefits would be a question I'd look closely at. I'm always wary of places that lump sick and vacation into a general PTO pool.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Agreed in principal, but I think those numbers are on the higher end. These would be red flags for me about how this company views its employees. Maybe not deal breakers but I'd be skeptical. How are the health and retirement benefits would be a question I'd look closely at. I'm always wary of places that lump sick and vacation into a general PTO pool.
I calculated the health insurance cost to be about $72/month for an individual. That's pretty cheap IME.

A lot of companies pool the vacation and sick time these days. Five days seems very low to me in today's world. My first job out of college granted me 15 PTO days. I understand this is a smaller company, but I've never seen something as low as five offered before.

I have five years of post college experience in supply chain management for anyone who was wondering what level I'm at.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
So, as some of you know, I've been interviewing with a company. They offered me the position this morning and I plan on responding to them later today.

Here's the deal. The salary they offered is good for me, although the base is approximately $2k less than what I was hoping for and asked for. With bonus, however, it will put me at that level. The PTO is on the light side compared to what I get now (20 + 3 floating), but it's doable. During the first year, I can accumulate five days. After year one, I can accumulate 10 days, and after three years, I get 15 days.
When does the "year" begin? This coming January 1, 2014 or on your start date anniversary? Can you do 5 days between now and Dec 31 then 10 days starting in January?

Quote:
Apparently I don't qualify for holiday pay until 90 days after I start. This means that I will not get paid for Labor Day in September. It's only one day, but it is not sitting well with me at the moment. Would you consider bargaining over this to see if they might pay you for that day?
Everything is negotiable. Ask for additional day off and use it for Labor Day.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
When does the "year" begin? This coming January 1, 2014 or on your start date anniversary? Can you do 5 days between now and Dec 31 then 10 days starting in January?
The year begins after my 1st anniversary. So I'd have five days from now until next July.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
The GOOD news from what I've been told is that no that they've offered you the job -- YOU are the one they want. So if you fall through -- they may not have to start the search ALL OVER -- but they'd have to at least go back to the alternates and start salary negotiations all over. So some say HR and especially managers (who may have other jobs to do especially) HATE doing that. So while it may not give you a TOTAL upper hand...it's a little bit of a help to know THEY just want to wrap this up...and so may come up with at least part of what you're asking for...just to get the darn deal off their to-do list.)

Now -- HOW MUCH NEGOTIATING HAVE YOU DONE SO FAR?

-- Is this what they're offering after you've already had a bit of back and forth -- is this an initial offer or 'final' offer?
-- WHO is telling you this HR -- or the person who'll actually be working for.
-- WHO has the budget strings?
-- How have the talks gone so far?

If this is just the first offer then in my experience it's expected you'd negotiate more -- and not just that that offer.

ie. "There are some things I like about the compensation but is there any wiggle room on the holiday pay. (or salary, or whatever)" Be honest and say that "XYZ is not what I was expecting" I'd like to be paid for my first holiday on staff." (Also if industry standards are one your side through that in)

Now how you negotiate depends on the issues above, how bad you want THIS job with THIS company and whether you've been out of work for six months -- or currently have a job.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 PM

I just finished speaking to the hiring manager and here's what I asked for.

15 PTO days right off the bat. I'm still losing out on eight with my current 23, but I'll take it.

I get Labor Day as a paid holiday even though it falls within my 90 day period.

I asked for an extra $1k on salary to compensate for lost PTO and losing my work from home privileges I have now with my current job. Why not.

She is running it by the team and will get back to me.

Thoughts?

Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Looks like a dodge a bullet.

After asking these simple questions, if they could do these things, they decided to retract the offer.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Since you asked for thoughts...

You currently have 4 weeks + PTO, can work from home, and dont have the holiday pay issue. Why are you interested in the new job? I know you mentioned the pay bump earlier, is it that significant to make up for what you're losing? Is the new position also a good career move? Are you also considering any effects you may experience from a loss of tenure, such as retirement plan vesting?

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just playing devils advocate.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Looks like a dodge a bullet.

After asking these simple questions, if they could do these things, they decided to retract the offer.

Our posts crossed. Sorry they rescinded, but that to me shows you did dodge a bullet. Keep plugging at it, the right offer will come along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search