U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
Reputation: 3524

Advertisements

So, as some of you know, I've been interviewing with a company. They offered me the position this morning and I plan on responding to them later today.

Here's the deal. The salary they offered is good for me, although the base is approximately $2k less than what I was hoping for and asked for. With bonus, however, it will put me at that level. The PTO is on the light side compared to what I get now (20 + 3 floating), but it's doable. During the first year, I can accumulate five days. After year one, I can accumulate 10 days, and after three years, I get 15 days.

Apparently I don't qualify for holiday pay until 90 days after I start. This means that I will not get paid for Labor Day in September. It's only one day, but it is not sitting well with me at the moment. Would you consider bargaining over this to see if they might pay you for that day?

Everything else about the deal I like. It's a sizable pay bump, the job seems interesting and challenging, it's in a good location, and I am getting out of a very stressful work environment. Essentially, I'm excited about the opportunity, but just had some minor reservations. What do you think about negotiating the Labor Day holiday as a paid day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Arizona
5,509 posts, read 6,131,894 times
Reputation: 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
So, as some of you know, I've been interviewing with a company. They offered me the position this morning and I plan on responding to them later today.

Here's the deal. The salary they offered is good for me, although the base is approximately $2k less than what I was hoping for and asked for. With bonus, however, it will put me at that level. The PTO is on the light side compared to what I get now (20 + 3 floating), but it's doable. During the first year, I can accumulate five days. After year one, I can accumulate 10 days, and after three years, I get 15 days.

Apparently I don't qualify for holiday pay until 90 days after I start. This means that I will not get paid for Labor Day in September. It's only one day, but it is not sitting well with me at the moment. Would you consider bargaining over this to see if they might pay you for that day?

Everything else about the deal I like. It's a sizable pay bump, the job seems interesting and challenging, it's in a good location, and I am getting out of a very stressful work environment. Essentially, I'm excited about the opportunity, but just had some minor reservations. What do you think about negotiating the Labor Day holiday as a paid day?
That's unusual for a salaried position. Are you sure that applies to you and isn't an hourly thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Would you consider bargaining over this to see if they might pay you for that day?

Everything else about the deal I like.
Short answer: No.
But it doesn't hurt to ask.
Why not use your floaters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Arizona
5,509 posts, read 6,131,894 times
Reputation: 7287
Depending on how many years you've been in your field I'd be more interested in trying to negotiate more vacation time. But that's a personal preference, if its not important to you and you like the company take what they offered. As Jaypee said, it can't hurt to ask about Labor Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
That's unusual for a salaried position. Are you sure that applies to you and isn't an hourly thing?
It's in the offer letter and she told me over the phone the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:30 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Short answer: No.
But it doesn't hurt to ask.
Why not use your floaters?
The floating holidays are for my current job only. I currently have 20 PTO days plus three floating holidays.

This other company is offering 5 PTO days my first year, 10 after my first year, and 15 after my third year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
Reputation: 22204
My husband's company doesn't give any PTO for the first year, it doesn't matter what level you are hired. It doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM
 
370 posts, read 620,678 times
Reputation: 375
I don't know what level you are but probationary periods are probationary periods for standard employees and sometimes it is more of a PITA for them to change the business rules of the back end systems for an exception. Again , I don't know what level you are and it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe you can negotiate that day's pay as a signing bonus and then take LWOP on the actual day.

On the other side of the coin, many people here wish they had such a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Depending on how many years you've been in your field I'd be more interested in trying to negotiate more vacation time. But that's a personal preference, if its not important to you and you like the company take what they offered. As Jaypee said, it can't hurt to ask about Labor Day.
I agree, especially since it includes sick time. Five days hardly seems like enough for an entire year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I agree, especially since it includes sick time. Five days hardly seems like enough for an entire year.

The company seems a bit, er, tight.
IME, standard seems to be 10-15 days a year (not including company holidays) and +1 day every year after that. Sick days run the gamut from 10 to unlimited.
Perhaps you can work it out with the hiring manager and take a comp day somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top