Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Has anyone turned down a job or withdrawn from contention after an interview? What's your experience?

-- What about the company or position made you turn dow a job, you'd initially applied for or been interested in?
-- Was it just a 'feeling' or 'vibe' you got? An instinctual feeling you can't put your finger on?
-- Or did you just realize you don't want the job? or to join that company?
-- Did it make you question or 'second guess' your career goals or aspirations and how they're weighed against other factors -- like quality of life, lifestyle, family issues, etc.?

I turned down a teaching job in eastern north carolina 10 years ago after having interviewed for the job on a sunday night at the school no less. the principal was a very gruff guy who offered me the job then went on to say this is the type of place where those who can't hack are discovered early on and will be berated even by the staff they work with. He offered me the job, I went home, called him the next day, left a message that I was no longer interested in went about job hunting.

School was out in the middle of BEF and the guy even used the local Hardees as a selling point to me.

Last edited by greenvillebuckeye; 07-15-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 06:52 AM

78 posts, read 77,011 times
I almost hate digging up old threads because when I try to refresh them, people just comment on the year's old posts. But I am reviving this one because I basically have the same question as the OP here. I am in the middle of interviewing for another job. I was excited about the job (and the place I would be working at first... and even after the first two rounds of interviews). But on the third round of interviews yesterday, I got a completely different feel.

The job seems like it's a lot different than I thought it would be, based on yesterday's questions. In the second round they told me they expected me to simply do the job/learn everything for the first year but yes, in the third round, they wanted to know what I would change and improve. So I was getting conflicting information that makes me wonder if they even know what they want a new person to do and not do.

Then they tried to put me on the spot by asking me inside questions about possible lawsuits they may face (never ran across anything about lawsuits on their webpage or Googling them). But the idea that I might be involved in litigation bothers me and makes me think something is wrong. And I was so blindsided by this question that I stumbled on my words a lot. And maybe this is minor, but they also didn't seem to remember information I already gave about my possible start date, etc. So I wonder if they are disorganized.

It just seems like a few red flags. I don't know if interview #3 was the "off" interview or if interviews #1 and #2 were misleading. And then again, maybe it's just my own nerves.

I don't have this job yet/I've received no offer. In fact, there is a fourth round of interviews (which is the last round). I don't even know yet if they want me for round four. But I find myself with a different opinion of the job after the interview yesterday. Before I was so eager and really wanted the job, but now I am getting a gut feeling that something is off and I am on the fence if I should continue or not.

I know my current job will be gone in about a year or so at the rate we are losing money/staff turn over/ brain drain. So I need to find something, but I am not in too much of a rush. I could be unemployed for a year and be just fine since I have a year's worth of expenses in an emergency fund and I would be fine with some kind of temporary job while job hunting as well. I could also (if offered) take this new job and if it doesn't work out, always look for yet another one. I should also note, while this new job would be a step up in title, it's a step down in pay and benefits mainly because of the seniority I have where I work now. I would take a 15% paycut and lose two weeks of PTO. So it's more responsibly for less money and less PTO. That didn't bother me when I was excited about working for them. But now that the enthusiasm has dimmed, it's more of an issue for me.

Just like the OP of this post, I was wondering if anyone else had this gut feeling after interviewing. I am on the fence about pulling the plug or giving a fourth round of interviews a chance (assuming I even made the cut). Personally, selfishly, I would want to go to round four; but everything I read about the topic says if you have doubts, it's best to inform the hiring manager and cut things off.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:24 AM

2,040 posts, read 986,706 times
Round four? Three, tops, should be enough for both parties involved to take a chance and see what happens.

On the other hand, I've had several jobs over the years where I was either hired on the spot or received an exuberant phone call later that day or the next day (one was on a Saturday morning when the business wasn't even open) offering me the job. I shouldn't have taken those jobs, they all ended up sucking and I ignored my gut feelings for the ease of bypassing a more extensive interview.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Round four? Three, tops, should be enough for both parties involved to take a chance and see what happens.

On the other hand, I've had several jobs over the years where I was either hired on the spot or received an exuberant phone call later that day or the next day (one was on a Saturday morning when the business wasn't even open) offering me the job. I shouldn't have taken those jobs, they all ended up sucking and I ignored my gut feelings for the ease of bypassing a more extensive interview.

Yep, round four. Seems to be par for the course so to speak. I've had about half a dozen interviews and all are several rounds long. The worst was the last one... it was three 3 hour interviews and 2 one hour interviews and they ended up not hiring anyone (at least that's what they told me). It was frustrating, but I try to think of it as practice.

I sometimes wonder if so many interviews is a bit of a red flag in and of itself too. But for now, I just go with the flow with that. Luckily, I have about 40 days to use or lose this year at my current job, so making time for interviews isn't an issue for me.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:54 PM

2,040 posts, read 986,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
The worst was the last one... it was three 3 hour interviews and 2 one hour interviews and they ended up not hiring anyone (at least that's what they told me). It was frustrating, but I try to think of it as practice.
Practice for what, being an expert at letting these cretins waste your time? That's some arrogance they exhibited there, probably a blessing that it didn't work out.

There was another thread recently where a poster mention she was called in for something like a SIXTH interview, and she told them (nicely) to shove it. Job hunting is already majorly time consuming and almost like a job in itself, and I think there needs to be some pushback against the absurd amount of interviews and tests or it'll only get worse.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:02 PM

14,950 posts, read 9,787,725 times
Absolutely. Internal job offer within the company I worked for. Actually it was posted as "highly qualified applicant already under consieration" and that was me. I turned it down after meeting the department director.

I retired two years later.... lol.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Practice for what, being an expert at letting these cretins waste your time? That's some arrogance they exhibited there, probably a blessing that it didn't work out.

There was another thread recently where a poster mention she was called in for something like a SIXTH interview, and she told them (nicely) to shove it. Job hunting is already majorly time consuming and almost like a job in itself, and I think there needs to be some pushback against the absurd amount of interviews and tests or it'll only get worse.

Okay, the bold is funny (and gave me a smile). I guess I am just trying to look on the bright side and thinking it's good interview practice. I started off kind of rusty since I've been at the same place for over a decade and it's been a while since I interviewed. And they really can throw out some curve ball questions too. So I am getting better at thinking on my toes when it comes to interview questions.

But it does get annoying that so much time is wasted. My problem is, I keep thinking it will be "just one more interview." It's hard to tell where to draw the line. But at least, with this latest job, they were clear at the beginning that it would be four interviews. I need to find that post about six interviews. Yikes!

Old 04-04-2024, 05:46 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
I recently turned down 2 job offers because I had 3 job offers.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:22 AM

23,507 posts, read 23,980,674 times
In my career, I’ve had this occur 2-3 times, after receiving multiple job offers. As they say: “A nice problem to have.”

The reason I turned down an offer? It was usually a combination of factors I experienced during the interview process at the company that I didn’t like. It was “the vibe”, the interactions with staff, hiring managers etc.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
I'm about to turn down an offer; they even paid for me to fly up (including hotel + rental car for 2 nights/days) to attend the second & final interview, then offered me the job at the end of it. But I didn't like the town, it was waaaaay more remote than I expected, plus the pay is lousy. I have a good job already where I currently live, and am just looking to relocate. So it's not like I'm desperate! Had another two interviews this week, and a few more scheduled over the next week. I'll find something better.

I hate making that email/phone call, though, to say thanks but no thanks. It does feel awkward, plus I'm sure they will be disappointed after going to all that trouble. It's not a corporate job (would be working for a state agency), and paying travel expenses for interviews is VERY rare in my line of work! Oh well, they'll get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search