U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,204,353 times

Advertisements

I once heard a recruiter say that unless you're the president, anything over 2 pages is the kiss of death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM

774 posts, read 1,429,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Keep the first pass resume brief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
One page is better than two, with 3 pages, people are not going to read to the end and absorb it all. Summarize. My resume for this manager job I have now was one page and went back over 25 years. Keep it to information related to the job you are applying for and save the rest for the interview.
Yes yes yes. Put the most recent stuff and the most important stuff.

I really like one-page résumés which have only gold on them.

You can mine for the other stuff when & if the time comes.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 PM

27,534 posts, read 15,901,301 times
One to two pages. Anything over that is just a little too much to ask for. Hardly anyone really reads the second page anyway.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,653,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
For 20 years of experience 2 pages is fine. You can usually save space by listing only title, company and dates for jobs that you held more than 15 years ago. After all, every subsequent position should be one with increasing responsibility, rendering the early stuff moot.
Make sure you leave out all of the things that are obvious.

FOr example, in my field, HR...I would leave out that I hired and interviewed people, that much is implied...but I would include that I changed the companies retention practices and increased retention. Not everyone does that....

Does that make sense.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,542,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobhunting2013 View Post
Have about 20 years of experience now in the IT field and wondering it is best in your summary to show your overall numbers of years of experience, but your actual resume should only cover the past 10 (15 max) years of employment? All 20 years is relative, but it causes my resume to go to 3 pages and thought it was best to always keep it to 2 pages?
I would keep it to 2 pages.

I'm in a completely different field, but last time we went through a stack of resumes, it was amazing how many people really didn't understand how to summarize or how to cull information that wasn't particularly impressive. Some of these were 3 pages. If we couldn't find the information we were interested in within the first 20 seconds, it went in the "We'll dig through this later only if we can't find someone better who can summarize" pile... and never needed to go back. More than half the people we interviewed kept it to ONE page. They knew how to make it look sharp and to the point.

I was always told that your resume should be your best 1 page worth of stuff. Since you've been working for 20 years, I could see 2 pages being very appropriate. But 3 seems pushing it, especially if eventually a human has to go through a big stack and compare. You want to impress by how succinct and to the point you can be, not have their eyes glaze over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search