U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 20,306 times

Advertisements

Have about 20 years of experience now in the IT field and wondering it is best in your summary to show your overall numbers of years of experience, but your actual resume should only cover the past 10 (15 max) years of employment?

All 20 years is relative, but it causes my resume to go to 3 pages and thought it was best to always keep it to 2 pages?

Suggestions and feedback appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM

28,619 posts, read 62,475,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobhunting2013 View Post
All 20 years is relative, but it causes my resume to go to 3 pages...
Keep the first pass resume brief.

Most have to pump up weak histories to fill a few paragraphs, applicants who have actually
BT & DT don't need to. Their paragraph lists of Companies, Systems, Software describing
specific expertise and/or areas of focus/preference/comfort are enough.

Describe the basic and pertinent in that sort of highlight form using insider terms.
Have the 20 years well collated, cross indexed and "available for review in detail"

Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM

23 posts, read 20,306 times
So use the 2 page version for sending to companies and posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Keep the first pass resume brief.

Most have to pump up weak histories to fill a few paragraphs, applicants who have actually
BT & DT don't need to. Their paragraph lists of Companies, Systems, Software describing
specific expertise and/or areas of focus/preference/comfort are enough.

Describe the basic and pertinent in that sort of highlight form using insider terms.
Have the 20 years well collated, cross indexed and "available for review in detail"

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,491,245 times
I don't think length of pages matters as much as content. If the content isn't relevant to the job than it isn't needed. For work that is marginally relevant but is really old (like early 1990s, then just be brief.

Because resumes are electronically scanned be sure not to cut out key words that could be picked up during the scan.

I resume is three pages long (electrical engineering) and I'm pretty sure it is always scanned so I don't worry about length. I want to make sure my key words are picked up.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM

2,839 posts, read 5,008,497 times
My resume is over 2 pages, BUT everything on it is relevant and important, I have 12 years of experience in my field, nothing on it is fluff, just a solid resume. I took my resume to a professional to see about cutting it down and she said my resume was very impressive, I mean I think we were able to cut out like 2 lines?

As long as half a page isn't dedicated to things like "hard worker, fast learner" and so on, I would leave it as is.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,994 posts, read 54,752,819 times
One page is better than two, with 3 pages, people are not going to read to the end and absorb it all. Summarize. My resume for this manager job I have now was one page and went back over 25 years. Keep it to information related to the job you are applying for and save the rest for the interview.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM

9,081 posts, read 8,480,785 times
For 20 years of experience 2 pages is fine. You can usually save space by listing only title, company and dates for jobs that you held more than 15 years ago. After all, every subsequent position should be one with increasing responsibility, rendering the early stuff moot.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,941,298 times
I'm less concerned with length of resume, so long as the content is solid. It all depends on your experience and the positions you're trying to land.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 6,830,284 times
Last year when I was looking for work I attended a couple of networking groups for out of work professionals. At one of the events the main speaker was the head HR person for that state's electric company. The topic of resume length came up and she said that she oversees the hiring of everyone from their call center, executives, land managers, engineers - basically a pretty wide array of positions. What she told us is to have a resume that is long enough to cover everything you've done in a way that's not too much or too little. So a CSR probably only needs a one page resume but an IT or engineering position may require 3 pages. Like other people have mentioned, make sure that you have key words that a scanning program will pick up.

Most important thing we were told is to customize your resume for every job you apply for. The days of having a one size fits all resume that you send to everyone are over.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM

4,369 posts, read 8,022,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Last year when I was looking for work I attended a couple of networking groups for out of work professionals. At one of the events the main speaker was the head HR person for that state's electric company. The topic of resume length came up and she said that she oversees the hiring of everyone from their call center, executives, land managers, engineers - basically a pretty wide array of positions. What she told us is to have a resume that is long enough to cover everything you've done in a way that's not too much or too little. So a CSR probably only needs a one page resume but an IT or engineering position may require 3 pages. Like other people have mentioned, make sure that you have key words that a scanning program will pick up.

Most important thing we were told is to customize your resume for every job you apply for. The days of having a one size fits all resume that you send to everyone are over.
This ^^. You can have a resume that is 3 pages but easy to read and a 1 page that is impossible to read. You certainly don't want to write a book, but if you need 3 pages to summarize all of your experiences in an organized fashion, go for it.

As others have said, many organizations will scan it and search of key words. And if your resume makes it to the hiring mangers desk, the average time they take to read it is like 8-10 seconds. As an IT professional, I typically look at the last five years... then do a real quick scan of the rest for any unique skills (some put their technical skills/certs on the last page). That said, I'm in Network and security, so anything beyond five years will be somewhat outdated.... which may not be the case for your specific area of IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search