U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,872,666 times

Advertisements

Simply tell them you dont have 20 as some would be from your current employer and you are not ready to risk your current position until you have an offer. Explain that you have 5 great references and leave it like that. if they want you bad enough they will overllok it. This also doesnt burn any bridges and keeps things open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM

8,835 posts, read 13,330,458 times
If you are sure it is not a scam give them 5 references and if they aren't happy good luck to them finding someone to put up that.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,394,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
So, I just interviewed for a job, and is in final stages. I met with co-workers, HR, and the hiring manager likes me. (I don't know if they're evaluating other candidates, but I am definitely in the mix for considerations.) I think there will be one more round of meeting the owner.

But, at this point, they are asking for references. I prepared references, but they asked for 15-20. I didn't prepare 15-20 references, more like 5.

I'm on the fence on this opportunity. I think the work is interesting, but I think there are some downside on commute and work/life balance.

So, while I'm interested in moving along the conversation to see where it goes, I don't know if I can find 15 people to vouch for me (I have been in my company actually for a while and don't want to rock the boat till I actually landed somewhere. And they were clear that they want professional references, so family members are out.

What are your thoughts? I find 20 references to be excessive. Since I'm on the fence, should I pass and not hassle my contacts?

Any advice welcomed

I think I would respond with..........."Thank you for the interview invite but I don't think this job is a good match for someone with my skills and experience"

And then walk out the door shaking my head at such a odd number of reference requests

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,056,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I think I would respond with..........."Thank you for the interview invite but I don't think this job is a good match for someone with my skills and experience"

And then walk out the door shaking my head at such a odd number of reference requests
Hey good answer maybe you really are an employment counselor

Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM

115 posts, read 135,694 times
Pretty sure this "job" is going to be part of a pyramid scheme. They want to see how effective you would be at spreading the word. I'd walk out and never look back.

On a side note: I can provide about 8 to 10 professional references. I usually ask the interviewer what positions in my history or particular skills they would be most interested in so that I can offer the most relevant references.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM

241 posts, read 522,834 times
Okay - so I talked to them again - I am still entertained by the whole idea, so haven't decided to say no yet.

So, I was frank with them on that request is kinda crazy - and I got the back story...

Apparently, the last person they hired, they were in a rush to hire. And they didn't think that s/he worked out at all. They think it's because they didn't do the proper background check. And that's why they are now going almost overboard this time around to compensate...

So, pass the sniff test?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,056,944 times
Quote:
Okay - so I talked to them again - I am still entertained by the whole idea, so haven't decided to say no yet.

So, I was frank with them on that request is kinda crazy - and I got the back story...

Apparently, the last person they hired, they were in a rush to hire. And they didn't think that s/he worked out at all. They think it's because they didn't do the proper background check. And that's why they are now going almost overboard this time around to compensate...

So, pass the sniff test?
I don't know. That says something about them and their org. can't make good decisions. I would offer them 5 and explain nicely industry standard is 3.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM

16,023 posts, read 19,736,160 times
I have never ever heard of that many references being asked for. That seems nuts.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:36 PM

288 posts, read 549,055 times
Honestly the company sounds extremely fishy, go on glassdoor and do other research on this company to find out what their true purpose it. IT sounds like a MLM or some scam venture. I will not provide 20 references, I do not even know 20 people all that well to even ask them to be a reference or I could just have fake names and numbers. It would be nice if you posted some details of this company on here as it sounds like a scam to me.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,149,504 times
Quote:

So, pass the sniff test?
No.

Its either a scam, or they're crazy or clueless. I've been in my field 28 years and could not come close to providing that many references. That's not even touching on the fact that most companies today don't allow their employees to give references anyway. Give them 5 if you can. But watch for any other red flags before you go to work there. Family owned companies scare me, so this would already be strike 2 in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or