U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't even KNOW 20 people !! What a dumb request, who in the world could come up with that many. I'm afraid I would have said "What the hell are you talking about ????" when they asked me that question. Do they even have time to research that many references ?

That takes the cake.

Don
I don't know that many people either. In fact, I have a hard time coming up with three.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,915,009 times
The background check has nothing to do with references. You can list everyone in your family as a references and they can tell the employer whatever they want to hear. So references going to tell them anything.

Background check, credit check and talking to your current/old bosses are what will be the most useful and safest way of checking an employee.

My sister in law had a similar job interview and it was for a perfume wholesaler. They told her it was to sell their perfumes in bulk to the stores. She would just handle sales and writing up the orders. They wanted 10 references. I researched the company for her and it was a scam. They also sold to individuals as stores were impossible to get as a client.. it was a plot to get her to give out names and reign her in.. After a few failed attempts at getting a store account, they would say they need to sell to individuals. Lots of pressure to call more family and friends. Yeah no.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM

341 posts, read 569,755 times
I'd tell them to fly a kite.

Except it wouldn't be in that exact wording or tone.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 PM

414 posts, read 1,006,551 times
20 references will turn me off and walk away and find someplace else. I think that's way too many.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
it's kind of redundant at this point but yes, this is totally crazy and unreasonable. and unnecessary. either they're running some kind of scam or they're not very smart or considerate. do you want to work for them in either case?

a friend of mine actually just went through a reference process where she had to give 9 references, then each of those references would be asked for one further reference who they thought could vouch for her, then each of those for one more. she was nervous that all of this would get back to her current employer, who doesn't know she's looking, and she said no.

i seriously wonder who even has the time to check all these references. i know that my new boss had substantial conversations with my references and it took her about a week to check 3 or 4. and i don't know if i was the only person whose references got checked.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,202,606 times
I'd tell them most people have about 5 references max, and that I can't give them more. Maybe they're using these reference to sell Product too, Like ULine keeps putting a Tech Writer ad constantly yet never hires someone. They sent me their product catalog instead of interviewing me for a job.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM

275 posts, read 670,906 times
I had to give 8 references and each reference was asked to give one more name - but I was going thru background investigation for f ederal government job. Unless this is for a secret level background investigation, I agree with everyone else that it is a scam.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,830,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
That seems amazingly excessive, unless we're talking about a job that requires a high security clearance or something.

I don't think I've ever been asked for more than 4-5. Generally, about 3.

When I was about to graduate college I applied for a high clearance government job, if I remember right they asked for three, and they didn't call them "references".

Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,127,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
When I was about to graduate college I applied for a high clearance government job, if I remember right they asked for three, and they didn't call them "references".
When I got my government BI done, I had to provide names of relatives, friends, neighbors and employers. They all got a visit from a federal agent, but nobody got asked for other references. I certainly didn't have to give 20. This was for a lower level (Secret) clearance.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,989,797 times
My husband works for a major airline in a safety sensitive position. He had to give 3 references.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or