U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,775,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
When I got my government BI done, I had to provide names of relatives, friends, neighbors and employers. They all got a visit from a federal agent, but nobody got asked for other references. I certainly didn't have to give 20. This was for a lower level (Secret) clearance.
yeah, i was in the running for a job that required federal clearance due to working with confidential military data, and while i didn't end up getting that far (the position was canceled), this is how the clearance process was described to me. the checking process is pretty intense per reference, with an in person meeting and all, but it's nowhere near 20 references.

if the government can give secret security clearance with 3-5 references, a small private company does not need 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM

17,006 posts, read 20,808,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
Okay - so I talked to them again - I am still entertained by the whole idea, so haven't decided to say no yet.

So, I was frank with them on that request is kinda crazy - and I got the back story...

Apparently, the last person they hired, they were in a rush to hire. And they didn't think that s/he worked out at all. They think it's because they didn't do the proper background check. And that's why they are now going almost overboard this time around to compensate...

So, pass the sniff test?
No.

And giving 20 references is not a background check.

Either these people are totally clueless, or this is a scam.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 PM

12,792 posts, read 15,217,224 times
This is crazy!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:36 PM

2,839 posts, read 5,022,935 times
I did this for a job, 18 references! By then it was like they were even talking to my sister's bf! But it was a law enforcement job.

I thought it was a bit silly to be honest. Even my mom who was getting top security clearance didn't have as many hoops to go through as I did!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM

836 posts, read 1,386,158 times
Ask if they have 20 references.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 PM

389 posts, read 571,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
So, I just interviewed for a job, and is in final stages. I met with co-workers, HR, and the hiring manager likes me. (I don't know if they're evaluating other candidates, but I am definitely in the mix for considerations.) I think there will be one more round of meeting the owner.

But, at this point, they are asking for references. I prepared references, but they asked for 15-20. I didn't prepare 15-20 references, more like 5.

I'm on the fence on this opportunity. I think the work is interesting, but I think there are some downside on commute and work/life balance.

So, while I'm interested in moving along the conversation to see where it goes, I don't know if I can find 15 people to vouch for me (I have been in my company actually for a while and don't want to rock the boat till I actually landed somewhere. And they were clear that they want professional references, so family members are out.

What are your thoughts? I find 20 references to be excessive. Since I'm on the fence, should I pass and not hassle my contacts?

Any advice welcomed
Is this position the next President of the U.S. or a security job watching the Hope Diamond or the like? If not, BOUNCE. Ridiculous.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 PM

3,170 posts, read 3,248,112 times
3-5 is reasonable 15-20 is creating a marketing list

I would tell them I can provide 3-5 and if they hesitate ask them why they need so many

Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM

27,603 posts, read 15,954,427 times
This sounds like some sales job where they want references so they can make cold calls and try to sell this product. This does happen sometimes.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:59 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,889,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This sounds like some sales job where they want references so they can make cold calls and try to sell this product. This does happen sometimes.
exactly. they want sales leads. plain and simple. or it's a scam involving identity theft.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:02 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,889,031 times
who even has the time to call/email 20 people? they do if it's sales though. otherwise these people don't have enough work to do if the actually have the time. not even high level clearance gov't jobs ask for that many refs.
it's surreal and clearly fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or