Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 PM

241 posts, read 589,733 times

Advertisements

So, I just interviewed for a job, and is in final stages. I met with co-workers, HR, and the hiring manager likes me. (I don't know if they're evaluating other candidates, but I am definitely in the mix for considerations.) I think there will be one more round of meeting the owner.

But, at this point, they are asking for references. I prepared references, but they asked for 15-20. I didn't prepare 15-20 references, more like 5.

I'm on the fence on this opportunity. I think the work is interesting, but I think there are some downside on commute and work/life balance.

So, while I'm interested in moving along the conversation to see where it goes, I don't know if I can find 15 people to vouch for me (I have been in my company actually for a while and don't want to rock the boat till I actually landed somewhere. And they were clear that they want professional references, so family members are out.

What are your thoughts? I find 20 references to be excessive. Since I'm on the fence, should I pass and not hassle my contacts?

Any advice welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 PM

13,065 posts, read 20,732,369 times
Fifteen to twenty references sound a little like marketing messed with recruiting. What industry/job description are we talking about?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 PM

517 posts, read 1,699,269 times
I think this would put me off the company. Unless this is a once in a lifetime opportunity I'd back out and also tell them exactly why if they ask. Employers and employees ideally treat each other respectfully, and that means not wasting each others time with pedantic requests.

This suggests to me there are either some arrogant or misguided staff working there in recruitment. Their actions could well turn off some potentially great employees. And that's their loss as a company.

Like I said, if it's something you'd kill for, then ok. But for a standard job? Forget them.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,896,475 times
I'd tell them to stick it. That is an absurd request, and I question what other absurd things are part of the company culture.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,000,036 times
I can't wait to see what others might say about this....

Off the top of my head that sounds crazy. Do they all have to be from your current job? How about people you've worked with -- who were at your current job but aren't any more -- in other works former co-workers....at this job or previous jobs? How about former clients, vendors, ANY one you worked with or had any kind of professional contact with -- who'd put you in a positive light.

The problem with that might be to get to 20 people who could be contacting people you worked with -- but haven't TALKED TO in at least MONTHS. Would THEY feel comfortable being a reference -- and would YOU feel comfortable having them BE a reference if you're just contacting them to ask for something from them. When 1) you don't know what they'd be asked -- NOR what they'd say. Then again maybe you're in close contact with 15-20 people you feel close enough to or feel know enough about your work. personality, ethics and habits -- to get to that number. How "current do these references have to be. For example, putting someone on the list -- a former co-worker you're still in contact with -- but haven't actually worked with in 5 years?

Even then. I think 15-20 is insane. That sounds more like a background check to me.

How bad do you want this job? Is this 15-20 request giving you any vibes about the company?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM

607 posts, read 1,388,574 times
15 to 20 references?? Are they f***ing insane??? I mean, honestly, who the hell really has 15 to 20 professional references?? As others have said, unless this is a dream job, I'd tell them where to shove it. The depths employers go to nowadays in order to hire candidates is just ludicrous.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,379,101 times
That's insane. 3 has been the "standard" number for years, with the occasional reach to 5.

15-20 has no value to the employer, unless it's some MLM scam.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,114,709 times
15-20?

Just to mess with them I would give them references that included my wife, kids, guy down the street and high school teachers.(no real info of course)

Sent from watch

Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 AM

241 posts, read 589,733 times
Hi, yes, to give context, it's not a high security job. It's a new division that they're starting. It's a family-owned enterprise. But the products are things you'd buy at a grocery store.

I don't know if it's a dream job. As it's a new division, I think there are some uber exciting things that could happen. But as it's a new division, god knows if anything will really happen. It's by and large a no-name company, so to the extent of how it'd help my career really depends on if these possibly uber exciting things will happen....

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,705,413 times
I don't even KNOW 20 people !! What a dumb request, who in the world could come up with that many. I'm afraid I would have said "What the hell are you talking about ????" when they asked me that question. Do they even have time to research that many references ?

That takes the cake.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search