U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Job Fairs A Waste
Yes, any job fair is good 0 0%
Yes but only industry specific or at a college 7 31.82%
No, all job fairs are a waste of time and effort 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM

27,328 posts, read 15,785,066 times

Advertisements

In another topic I made http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ch-hiring.html, I mentioned that people suggest going to job fairs when in reality they do not typically work out and most of the jobs are high turnover commissioned sales jobs. What I want to know is are they really a waste these days or do actually help the job search process?

And before anyone asks, let's not get into the swag that you get at the events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,657,969 times
I think the second answer is the one I want, but I don't think it's stated correctly.
Probably should be stated as: Yes, with the exception of industry specific and college job fairs.

I think job fairs for the general public tend to cater most to commission-based sales people. If that's what you are looking for, perfect.

I feel that the rest of us would get the best bang for our buck at either an industry specific job fair or a college job fair.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,032,274 times
Almost all of our recent entry level new hires were found at college job fairs, so I would say definitely worth it.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM

12,594 posts, read 15,062,766 times
They are a waste of time and effort.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM

4,546 posts, read 4,730,637 times
You're question and responses are backwards.

If you go to an industry specific one they are typically not a waste of time and you can always network with people at even a generic one. I'd say they are no more a waste of time than spending 4 hours watching television at home.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM

115 posts, read 135,496 times
I'd go to college job fairs, but not the others. The work is usually for minimum wage or commission only. They want people with experience and education for even those positions. I have experience and education, therefore I'm not interested in those positions. It's quite a dynamic.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

607 posts, read 1,169,172 times
Never had any luck at job fairs either at college/industry specific job fairs or just general job fairs. It's always the same companies at these fairs because of the high turnover positions almost all of these companies are hiring for.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,207,172 times
Of all the Job Fairs I go to, I've never been hired by a single company. So they all were a waste of time but at least I got a lot of free pens, highlighters, candy, a pizza cutter, and other gizmos. Plus it's entertaining scoping out the women in skirt suits. It's even very fun to to a Job Fair in drag dressed up as a pretty woman in a skirt suit. I had fun doing that and companies still accepted me.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM

239 posts, read 545,457 times
Only been to one, did not get a job due to it. Small sample size, so I can't really comment.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:14 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,882,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In another topic I made http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ch-hiring.html, I mentioned that people suggest going to job fairs when in reality they do not typically work out and most of the jobs are high turnover commissioned sales jobs. What I want to know is are they really a waste these days or do actually help the job search process?

And before anyone asks, let's not get into the swag that you get at the events.

To me, it's no different than applying through jobs any other means... like applying online. While I've had poor track record with getting work that way and at job fairs, I did manage to get one, which required me to drive 600 miles to relocate, not to mention wanted a few requirements your typical applicant wouldn't have. Only lasted 6.5 months, but it got me back on my feet in terms of more experience (aka... stuff to put on the resume), 3 different managerial level references, and that much time's worth of salary. Did get to check out a brand new area and meet new people too.

Another was back while I was still in college, where I got an internship. It seemed like they were desperate, but eh... so was I The job was interesting and still counted for something, even though it would've been more idea to find something more closely related to me line of work.

As for tips about job fairs...
-don't go to them if they're too far away, or of a hassle.
Counter examples include driving over an hour away (unless that's normal for your area), or paying $10+ for parking (unless that's also normal for your area). You can try out a few of these, but you'll need to make a judgment call if it's worth the while to keep on going to these

-dress in interview wear. Suit, tie, black pants, and collared shirt for men. If not, do business casual
It sucks, but in most cases, you can be underdressed, but not over dressed. I wouldn't want to work for someone who "dings" you on such things anyways.

-go to ones that target your career, not generic ones
I've been to ones that do NOT target IT, and you end up in ones that are more suited towards high school grads... Home Depot, life insurance salesman, selling annuities or other financial services, something that reminded me of Cutco (selling knives), local MW/FF jobs, US Army, National Guard, Devry, Trident University, MLM type deals (Amway, Legal Shield).

-Take notes while you're there
Write down a few notes while you're conversing with them, but try not to have your head buried in your notebook. Take the rest after talking with them. Get contact info so you can follow up within a day or 2 (like a business card). Mention something you talked about so you get "points" for paying attention, and help you stand out. Then "bug 'em" after a week if they said there may be something for you.

-Pick 5 of them to be top priority. Then 5 more if you have time
Talking with 30 to 50 of them... that's uber exhausting. If you can do it, knock yourself out. Me... I learned that after talking with 15 of them... I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search