U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,798,882 times

Advertisements

My current position called and talked to my references at length and did a pretty thorough background check. But part of my job entails working with financial companies and I have access to bank account numbers on a fairly regular basis. Plus they send all of their sales reps to a three week training school and figure it might take two years before they get a return on their investment. I was told that they invest over $150,000 in each new sales hires over the first year or two, so they do their homework before they hire us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
They usually rather call the current bosses/supervisors or the most recent past one. But personal references, usually not.

That's what I always thought which is why I always made sure my past supervisors were on my reference list

Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Have anyone of you heard of references being emailed instead of called? References would receive a reference form through email and it's a form to complete and email back.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 AM

15,733 posts, read 26,766,913 times
Here is a story for you.

18 or 19 years ago one of our managers called on a reference that a prospective candidate had put on his application. I am thinking that the reference was a bad choice for the candidate because he told it like he saw it and the hospital did not hire him. They were impressed with the reference though and asked him if he was interested in working for the hospital. This guy told them that he was not in the market for a job and had just retired from Texaco. After some talking he told them that he would come down and check things out.

The reference was offered the position and still works for the hospital today.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 AM

269 posts, read 300,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Have anyone of you heard of references being emailed instead of called? References would receive a reference form through email and it's a form to complete and email back.
Yes, one of my references for my new job (this is my 4th week there) lived overseas in a different time zone and so they emailed the questions to him as they thought it would be easier than trying to find a suitable time to talk to him.

And yes, every job I've ever had has done a reference check.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,399,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No doubt it's done but it's not something I would do as the norm. The written word can be deceptively misleading while many former employers are reluctant to put anything in writing. I've often learned a lot about someone's real opinion of a former employee by listening to what's not said along with voice inflections.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 AM

2,942 posts, read 7,324,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I've had to provide them for jobs that I've gotten offers for in the past, yet the people I actually listed as references said they never received a call.

I'm currently awaiting a response from a company that I really want to work for. HR said she would touch base early next week. She asked me about my references during our interview so it seemed like she would actually call them up, however my references have not heard anything. I'm hoping this is not a bad sign.
YES!, just the other day, a friend of mine listed me as a reference, and they emailed me to ask me a few questions about him.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 AM

24 posts, read 57,032 times
I would make sure the reference pan out cause you never know if they are going to call. I work in retail and have been told they did call my references that I listed .

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,577,056 times
depends on the company and job but most bigger companies hire third party companies to check this stuff out. i had a job and had not really fudged information but was just lazy and estimated dates i worked at places maybe was off by a month or two and the company who checked called me and was grilling me about this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or