U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM

852 posts, read 1,818,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Because some of us are decent people who enjoy helping other people. Why would you not try help a company understand their problems?
How often do they want to understand our problems ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,028,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Thank you maybe he will understand coming from someone else.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,760,603 times
I think there are diplomatic ways of saying things in an exit interview that don't lead to burning bridges, etc.

For example, I left one of my jobs and the reason was I wanted to be able to work more in certain aspects of the job, and the position I was leaving was not able to accommodate me. I did not say that my supervisor was a micro manager and did not want anyone doing anything outside of very constrained job descriptions.

Exit interviews are not a place for you to spout off everything you hated about your job. I am sure the HR person would wonder why if you had so many grievances you did not work through the employer hierarchy to see if they could be resolved BEFORE it got to the point you were so fed up you just left.

I am looking for new positions right now, because my current office is not able to make accommodations for a more flexible schedule for me. I have been through my supervisor, overall department head, and HR. I am applying for part time positions, and if asked in my exit interview, I will say I needed a more flexible work schedule to better meet my personal needs. I *could* say that my department head is rigid and uncaring, and has not people skills, and does not care to keep quality employees - but what would the point be?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM

14,037 posts, read 20,355,620 times
Default It depends

Over age 70, then let them have it.
Under age 70, say as little as possible.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,028,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Over age 70, then let them have it.
Under age 70, say as little as possible.
Your candor and humor is just classic.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
There is no point in being honest, as, quite frankly, orgs do not use the information gathered to improve. They are "feel good" exercises no more meaningful than a mission statement.

Exactly. It is no different than when you're at a supermarket chain and the cashier asks "Did you find everything you need?".

The one time I actually said "no I didn't, you're out of xxxxx", her reply was "well we have no control over what the vendor stocks".....LOL...so why are you asking?

Different situation but the same conclusion. They really don't care.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,428,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
What does this have to do with you helping someone else? Having the attitude of "I won't help you because you didn't help me" is what causes the problems in the first place.

I think that only acting like a decent human being to people who are nice to me would be a pretty horrible attitude to have.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM

12,597 posts, read 15,062,766 times
I don't say anything, except for: found a better opportunity. If I ever wanted to come back to the company I left and bad mouthed a lot of people before I left, my chances of returning would be zero. Never burn your bridges in a professional environment, you just never know.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,070,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. It is no different than when you're at a supermarket chain and the cashier asks "Did you find everything you need?".

The one time I actually said "no I didn't, you're out of xxxxx", her reply was "well we have no control over what the vendor stocks".....LOL...so why are you asking?

Different situation but the same conclusion. They really don't care.
Exactly. The good corps who treat staff well and who have lower than average turnover vs their industry know who they are, the bad ones with higher turnover than their industry average are either horribly inept or indifferent. There are no long term rogue managers at otherwise good corps.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,818,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What does this have to do with you helping someone else? Having the attitude of "I won't help you because you didn't help me" is what causes the problems in the first place.

I think that only acting like a decent human being to people who are nice to me would be a pretty horrible attitude to have.
I'm not a hospice volunteer we are at will employees. Nobody cares about your bills except you and your spouse. Never forget that. Save helping people for your days with the Peace Corps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search