U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,082,311 times
Reputation: 7282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whtknight212 View Post
We made the supervisor aware, and he gave the mid-level managers a verbal warning to essentially "knock it off" and the situation improved after.
Had the mid-level managers not complied in knocking it off, would you have fired them? If the answer is yes, congratulations, you're doing things right in keeping a good environment. If the answer is no, you are simply lucky they willingly complied. In a nutshell, show me a toxic environment, I'll show you a workplace that is not willing to fire in the event of non-compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,698,248 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
People with that kind of attitude are exactly what makes workplaces terrible environments. You do realize that all of you who refuse to help anyone out at work are exactly the heartless people you complain about on this board every day, don't you? I would have a very hard time going through life with as heartless of an attitude as you have.
What are you talking about? You're mixing apples and oranges.

Who said anything about refusing to help anyone out at work? This thread has nothing to do with that. I am sure most of us have helped a coworker who was behind in their work or over their head.

I certainly have.

This thread is about talking to some dolt in HR and making negative comments about the company as you're about to walk out the door.

1) They don't care and don't want to hear it.

2) It is only going to make you look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,676 posts, read 74,671,253 times
Reputation: 48197
very rough if you are overtly open u wont be hired no tongue control if you are too tight liped u r dishonest.
somewhere in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,529 posts, read 8,778,692 times
Reputation: 12223
I never had an exit interview. It was always obvious why I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
5,561 posts, read 8,909,559 times
Reputation: 11076
I would never say ANYTHING in an exit interview. Let them figure it out on their own. I am leaving and have no interest in helping them improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,435,181 times
Reputation: 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What are you talking about? You're mixing apples and oranges.

Who said anything about refusing to help anyone out at work? This thread has nothing to do with that. I am sure most of us have helped a coworker who was behind in their work or over their head.

I certainly have.

This thread is about talking to some dolt in HR and making negative comments about the company as you're about to walk out the door.

1) They don't care and don't want to hear it.

2) It is only going to make you look bad.
No...this is about trying to help HR understand the flaws in the company. HR will never take steps to help the employees if they don't know what is wrong. You just proved my point. The fact that you think they don't care and don't want to hear you is the kind of attitude that creates hostile work environments. You obviously don't help co-workers given the fact that HR is also your co-workers, and you don't want to help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
3,401 posts, read 1,921,798 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No...this is about trying to help HR understand the flaws in the company. HR will never take steps to help the employees if they don't know what is wrong. You just proved my point. The fact that you think they don't care and don't want to hear you is the kind of attitude that creates hostile work environments. You obviously don't help co-workers given the fact that HR is also your co-workers, and you don't want to help them.
Ha! Come work where I work. I work for a small company, maybe 50 people. Sole proprietorship. The HR "department" is one person, the boss's wife. The boss has made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that he is in business to make money, not for the sake of the people who earn it for him. I'm the highest paid employee in his production facility, and after six years (10 years in the trade in total, but four of those years were as a design engineer at a different place) my salary is sub entry level. I have mentioned this to the HR department (boss's wife). She shrugged, said "yeah, it's pretty bad, you should talk to Hany" and showed up the next day in a spiffy new Audi SUV.

As of Wednesday I'm the only production tech with any knowledge of electronics as well as the only one with clearance to work on military goods. If I leave, all military gear will either be made illegally or not at all, and that's where the money is. I am still expected to be content with being paid less than a DeVry dropout, apparently. So my boss can take a babysitter with him when he and his wife vacation in Vegas.

Now why should I think they don't care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Corona the I.E.
10,078 posts, read 14,041,444 times
Reputation: 8925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Ha! Come work where I work. I work for a small company, maybe 50 people. Sole proprietorship. The HR "department" is one person, the boss's wife. The boss has made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that he is in business to make money, not for the sake of the people who earn it for him. I'm the highest paid employee in his production facility, and after six years (10 years in the trade in total, but four of those years were as a design engineer at a different place) my salary is sub entry level. I have mentioned this to the HR department (boss's wife). She shrugged, said "yeah, it's pretty bad, you should talk to Hany" and showed up the next day in a spiffy new Audi SUV.

As of Wednesday I'm the only production tech with any knowledge of electronics as well as the only one with clearance to work on military goods. If I leave, all military gear will either be made illegally or not at all, and that's where the money is. I am still expected to be content with being paid less than a DeVry dropout, apparently. So my boss can take a babysitter with him when he and his wife vacation in Vegas.

Now why should I think they don't care?
How can you get paid so little in oil booming AB? My friends, south of MH, said the closer to Calgary wages shoot way up and so does COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 AM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,620,152 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
We've all had difficult bosses/supervisors etc. And probably quit/got another job because of one. Have you ever told exactly why at the exit interview with HR or someone other than the boss that was the reason for leaving or if a higher up boss (as in your boss's boss) ask why you are leaving? And I am not saying obviously in a hissy fit or wild accusations. Just a professional narration of why.

Or did you simply stick to a generic line such as "Had a better opportunity/Better pay etc etc"
People give way more credit to exit interviews than they have...you are leaving, it is implied that you were not happy. So, why would a company be all that concerned with you and what you say? Kind of like giving your opinion to a new girl about an ex boyfriend...there was a reason you left and the reasons you give may or may not be relevant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,933,617 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No...this is about trying to help HR understand the flaws in the company. HR will never take steps to help the employees if they don't know what is wrong. You just proved my point. The fact that you think they don't care and don't want to hear you is the kind of attitude that creates hostile work environments. You obviously don't help co-workers given the fact that HR is also your co-workers, and you don't want to help them.
The bolded is in the sprit the entire exit interview came about in the first place. But nowadays with budget cuts, wanting twice the labor at half the cost, the attitude that you are lucky to even have a job etc is what makes the workplace hostile. Not the employees leaving that environment. Granted this isn't every company everywhere. But sadly enough, it seems to be more and more common nowadays. Until the economy gets better and the company loosen their vise grip on their bottom line dollar/profit and start caring a bit more, it will continue to be this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top