Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:35 AM

989 posts, read 1,870,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As an employer, my perspective on this will differ from most.

I believe many of you are not familiar with a professional exit interview process. It's an opportunity to assist the company understand issues that they may not realize impacts the employees and/or the company. If you are seeing it as a source of potential conflict or 'bridge burning", understand that those types of situations can only occur if YOU let it happen by allowing your emotional side to overrule your mature side. No exit interview is harmful unless you make it harmful to yourself. Truthfully, when people turns an exit interview into a venting or get even session, you only make yourself look bad and possible put a smile on the company's face since your gone and taking that useless attitude with you.

If you listen or read carefully the questions being asked and view them as constructive questions, the purpose of the exit interview is clear. But if you see every question as a reason to push back against the 'man', I agree, don’t even answer since the response is useless to the company anyway.

Honest, professional and mature answers not only provide valuable information to assist the company, it provides valuable information to assist those employees still working at the company. I have known people who complain about the little things at work, yet they never speak up while employed. At exit interview time, they also remain quiet which means the issue is never brought out in the open. Yes, big men indeed.... I wonder if the issues you confront would be there if employees were willing to provide constructive feedback when they departed.
ROLF! I almost spit my morning coffee across my computer monitor from laughing so hard while reading this comedy piece. Thanks a lot for sharing this funny joke with us! It was needed comedy relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
Quote:
During the employment verification for the position your former employer told us you didn’t give them an exit interview so we figured you wouldn't mind if we didn't spend the time explaining to you why you were not hired.

I don’t see why you’re taking out a rather inmature frustration based on an explanation and job you didn’t get with the employer who DID hire you.
It is standard procedure at the vast majority of employers not to give feedback to candidates. I just think it is hypocritical for companies to expect people to volunteer their time and give feedback when they themselves do not. If you make it a point to refuse to help others don't be surprised when they don't try to help you.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:18 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,678,465 times
Quote:

I believe many of you are not familiar with a professional exit interview process. It's an opportunity to assist the company understand issues that they may not realize impacts the employees and/or the company. If you are seeing it as a source of potential conflict or 'bridge burning", understand that those types of situations can only occur if YOU let it happen by allowing your emotional side to overrule your mature side. No exit interview is harmful unless you make it harmful to yourself. Truthfully, when people turns an exit interview into a venting or get even session, you only make yourself look bad and possible put a smile on the company's face since your gone and taking that useless attitude with you.

If you listen or read carefully the questions being asked and view them as constructive questions, the purpose of the exit interview is clear. But if you see every question as a reason to push back against the 'man', I agree, don’t even answer since the response is useless to the company anyway.

Honest, professional and mature answers not only provide valuable information to assist the company, it provides valuable information to assist those employees still working at the company. I have known people who complain about the little things at work, yet they never speak up while employed. At exit interview time, they also remain quiet which means the issue is never brought out in the open. Yes, big men indeed.... I wonder if the issues you confront would be there if employees were willing to provide constructive feedback when they departed.
In my experience going to management with what you perceive as problems, even if you come with potential solutions to the issues, is the quickest way to be blacklisted. So, the employer is going to listen to my advice when I'm leaving but not when I'm employed there? I suppose it depends on the employer, but many don't like some 'disposable' employee highlighting problems to them.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM

13,061 posts, read 20,727,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is standard procedure at the vast majority of employers not to give feedback to candidates. I just think it is hypocritical for companies to expect people to volunteer their time and give feedback when they themselves do not. If you make it a point to refuse to help others don't be surprised when they don't try to help you.
I'm sorry, but I cannot for the life of me grasp the logic of your statement.

You are saying that an employee that is leaving the company should not participate in the exit interview process because some employer may not give a reason why that person wasn't hired? The employer had no reason to explain why they didn’t hire the person because they DID hire the person. They hired the person so how can they give them a reason for not hiring them?

If this is the logical thinking of job applicants, no wonder so many are unemployed!

Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM

203 posts, read 319,716 times
Quote:

Rabrrita, you sound like a reasonable employer, that said I think your statement comes off as a bit naive. I do understand that many who do complain in an exit interview are "venting" but that is because they often have much to vent about. Most people in the United States do not like their places of employment and feel they are not treated well -- there have been numerous Pew studies and academic studies done on this. Most stress is work place related, which has also been documented and wells studied over the past 15 - 20 years. There are exceptions, but it is not the norm for the average American to go to work everyday and be treated to: a decent living wage for the work they do, reasonable and competent management, a healthy work/life balance in regards to hours or a physically/aesthetically positive work environment. Rabrrita... what type of industry do you work in and what is your position? You must be a very lucky person...

Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,990,554 times
I told a job I was leaving partly because of favoritism. They said that was not true. I asked them to explain how not once, but TWICE an intern got the job over the person with many years of experience? I told them I wanted a higher position and after 3 tears of waiting I couldn't wait any longer.

Then I got up and left.

Do I think I burned bridges? Maybe, but it was honest. It wasn't my supervisor I was talking about, but another supervisor in another group.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 124,279 times
I keep it short and sweet, "got a better job, if you want me to stay I can, but it's going to require more pay because I refuse to work as a manual machinist for fast food wages." Yeah the look on their face was amazing.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,604,739 times
Tell the truth, tactfully. Have it played out in your mind before hand, don't cry and leave it up on the up and up as you skip out of there.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,714,541 times
I was honest in my last position. It was an meeting with HR, not my managers; however, the reason why I left was partially due to the blatant racism showed by the director.

Literally, in a team meeting, she was practically flirting with a much younger man of her race who had just gotten married. She asked him, "Does your wife ask about your female boss? Like is she WHITE or is she BLACK?" etc. and it was just beyond uncomfortable. I mentioned that her constant mentions of race, all of the time, made me feel uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search