U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,031,716 times

Advertisements

For me, objectively, I don't think career courses would help much. The reasons for me not getting hired

1. Much older than avg candidate in 40's for senior sales job. I had a recruiter even admit to me that he knew companies that will not hire any salespeople over 35.
2. Termination at last sales job. Company merge nothing I could do.
3. Competition if fierce in Denver Metro for high tech sales, thus I am open to relocating. Heck I am even open to leaving sales, but with little other exp I am not considered for anything besides sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,858,791 times
Well, I finally landed something, so I start training Monday.
But I definitely know how you feel. I've gone through that before. Interviews, and then silence. It can definitely be frustrating.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM

68 posts, read 109,861 times
Try applying for a year online and in person at the age of 58, having my resumes critiqued since I thought I was doing something wrong (everybody says it seems OK) and not even getting a call back. I followed up a Burger King application with a manager my brother knew who looked at me and the cute young thing that applied at the same time and he said to me "really"? She was gone a couple of months later but still no call. I have spent this last year pounding the pavement and attending job fairs and have been told unofficially that employers would rather hire young people since they can mold them and older workers are stubborn and set in their ways.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,321,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Since April, I've been on 8 in-person interviews and 5 over the phone (feel free to put me in my place if this number is actually low) and I am so tired of it. For two different companies, I came in twice for an in-person interview. Though I'm fortunate to be working at the moment, I am on a contract basis and can get let go of anytime. I'm running out of excuses as to why I come in late/leave early (I'm paid by the day so I don't want to take time off). While my employer shouldn't be surprised I'm interviewing, I don't want to be obvious I'm looking because it could affect my chances of getting a full time offer here.

I don't know why I haven't gotten an offer yet. I try to be charming while detailing how my skills would benefit the opening. One interview went incredibly and HR notified me the same day to schedule a follow-up interview which also went well. That was three weeks ago and I've heard nothing.
The problem most would be employees have in getting jobs is that they are focused on themselves instead of the employer. I have have people waste my time telling me about why they need the job. The employer does not care why you need a job, they are interested in how hiring you is going to be beneficial for them.

If you put yourself in the place of the employer you would realize many employees are a pain in the ass. They make mistakes, they fail to show up for work, they have personal problems, they create problems with other employees at work. You need to understand this and convince the employer you are going to be an asset and not a liability to them.

Your job in an interview is to convince the employer that you are genuinely concerned with helping them with what they need and that you are going to make their life easier. Don't be afraid to ask them straight out "if you decide to hire me, what could I do to make your job easier". That will make an impression.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM

212 posts, read 837,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
Maybe the best thing for you to do is take a small break and work on your interviewing skills and resume/cover letter. I know it's pretty standard advice, but those are the things that get you a job and if done well, it'll happen faster than continuing to apply with what you have. Also, you're probably really burnt out. I definitely was!
I am most definitely burnt out. I am so unhappy and stressed in my current position. The problem is I am a freelancer and I think they may let me go soon. I won't be eligible for unemployment benefits so I need to get a full-time offer ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The problem most would be employees have in getting jobs is that they are focused on themselves instead of the employer. I have have people waste my time telling me about why they need the job. The employer does not care why you need a job, they are interested in how hiring you is going to be beneficial for them.
I read years ago how bad it is to focus on why you want the job, so I always try to highlight my skills and how they can help benefit the position I'm applying for. I guess there's something in my personality they don't like.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,321,464 times
Quote:
I am most definitely burnt out. I am so unhappy and stressed in my current position. The problem is I am a freelancer and I think they may let me go soon. I won't be eligible for unemployment benefits so I need to get a full-time offer ASAP.

I read years ago how bad it is to focus on why you want the job, so I always try to highlight my skills and how they can help benefit the position I'm applying for. I guess there's something in my personality they don't like.
What are you doing to show them you want the job more than the next person?
Sometimes persistance works.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM

18,929 posts, read 9,642,404 times
I would also suggest you to look at your interview skills.

I don't believe keeping trying the same thing would yield anything meaningful. Mock interview is a great way to practice interview skills.

I wrote a blog on what an interview is really about. You may want to take a look as your starting point. There's quite a bit to learn and practice.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...lly-about.html

Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What are you doing to show them you want the job more than the next person?
Sometimes persistance works.
Think interview as dating. As a guy, you can show your strong interest in a girl but it doesn't help you to get her.

What you need to show is how you are better than other candidates. You are more professional, knowledgeable, better work ethics, better personality etc. Those are the things that really count.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Nothing to worry. It must have been things you said. It's actually quite easy to correct. :-)

For example, you should never say anything negative about your previous employers. In fact, no negativity at all during interview. Another problem can be you can't communicate. It's an easy fix as you can simply prepare some canned questions to ask. Maybe you talk too much. Then dial it back and maintain the conversation to be 40:60, you speak 40% of the time and let the interviewer talk at least 60% - the more they talk, the more they will like you.

Food for thoughts.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:24 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,134,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Well, I finally landed something, so I start training Monday.
But I definitely know how you feel. I've gone through that before. Interviews, and then silence. It can definitely be frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search