U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,155,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Think interview as dating. As a guy, you can show your strong interest in a girl but it doesn't help you to get her.

What you need to show is how you are better than other candidates. You are more professional, knowledgeable, better work ethics, better personality etc. Those are the things that really count.
You can also think of it like some salespeople do...it's a numbers game....every rejection is a milestone you have to pass to get to the next "yes"

I know that's a little cheesy but maybe it'll help keep your determination up. Also, you could think of each fruitless interview as a chance to hone your self-selling skills that much more.

Don't give up, you'll get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM

19,016 posts, read 9,690,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You can also think of it like some salespeople do...it's a numbers game....every rejection is a milestone you have to pass to get to the next "yes"

I know that's a little cheesy but maybe it'll help keep your determination up. Also, you could think of each fruitless interview as a chance to hone your self-selling skills that much more.

Don't give up, you'll get there.
It is not a number game. You need to tune it as you go. Repeating the same thing but hoping for different results is called insanity.

The best way to improve this is to ask some hiring manager friends to do a mock interview with you.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,561,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetFireFEMTech View Post
Try applying for a year online and in person at the age of 58, having my resumes critiqued since I thought I was doing something wrong (everybody says it seems OK) and not even getting a call back. I followed up a Burger King application with a manager my brother knew who looked at me and the cute young thing that applied at the same time and he said to me "really"? She was gone a couple of months later but still no call. I have spent this last year pounding the pavement and attending job fairs and have been told unofficially that employers would rather hire young people since they can mold them and older workers are stubborn and set in their ways.
Its crazy my dad is going through the same thing. Has 30 years of experience, masters degree, tons of certifications and can't find nothing....likely because of his age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search