U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM

212 posts, read 836,712 times

Advertisements

Since April, I've been on 8 in-person interviews and 5 over the phone (feel free to put me in my place if this number is actually low) and I am so tired of it. For two different companies, I came in twice for an in-person interview. Though I'm fortunate to be working at the moment, I am on a contract basis and can get let go of anytime. I'm running out of excuses as to why I come in late/leave early (I'm paid by the day so I don't want to take time off). While my employer shouldn't be surprised I'm interviewing, I don't want to be obvious I'm looking because it could affect my chances of getting a full time offer here.

I don't know why I haven't gotten an offer yet. I try to be charming while detailing how my skills would benefit the opening. One interview went incredibly and HR notified me the same day to schedule a follow-up interview which also went well. That was three weeks ago and I've heard nothing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:15 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,513,221 times
That's got to be frustrating, it's not an excessive number of interviews but enough of a data set to get an idea if this is an issue, or just a case of bad timing/statistical outlier.

What does your pipeline/progression look like? Were all 13 interviews different companies?

The usual process runs similar to:

Phone Screen > In person > In person second wave/final

Obviously, some companies may have more (or less) steps than this, but I'd say 3 seems to be fairly common.

So, how far are you travelling down the path and where does the road seem to end for you?

Have you had a peer, consultant or friendly hiring manager (even if it's in another field) review your interview skills?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM

212 posts, read 836,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
That's got to be frustrating, it's not an excessive number of interviews but enough of a data set to get an idea if this is an issue, or just a case of bad timing/statistical outlier.

What does your pipeline/progression look like? Were all 13 interviews different companies?

The usual process runs similar to:

Phone Screen > In person > In person second wave/final

Obviously, some companies may have more (or less) steps than this, but I'd say 3 seems to be fairly common.

So, how far are you travelling down the path and where does the road seem to end for you?

Have you had a peer, consultant or friendly hiring manager (even if it's in another field) review your interview skills?
These were at 7 different companies in the course of 4 months. Some started with a phone interview which led to an in-person interview. I haven't had anyone formally review my interviewing skills so maybe I can ask for feedback with someone, like my headhunter.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
The job market is picking up, and many that have been on "the sidelines" have been interviewing also, which increases your competition. Good luck out there, something will come up. Keep interviewing.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,987,260 times
There is nothing you can do but keep trying. Try to schedule whenever possible outside of your work schedule I guess.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,513,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
These were at 7 different companies in the course of 4 months. Some started with a phone interview which led to an in-person interview. I haven't had anyone formally review my interviewing skills so maybe I can ask for feedback with someone, like my headhunter.
I'd start with this for sure.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:16 PM

537 posts, read 994,172 times
I dealt with this a few years back when I was looking for a new position. I think I interviewed at fifteen different places in the span of a few months, and I just couldn't find anything. It was awful. After a while, I gave up for a while and then picked it back up again. It was probably the best for me. Interviewing is mentally exhausting!

Maybe the best thing for you to do is take a small break and work on your interviewing skills and resume/cover letter. I know it's pretty standard advice, but those are the things that get you a job and if done well, it'll happen faster than continuing to apply with what you have. Also, you're probably really burnt out. I definitely was!

I hope things work out for you.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Go to a career development class. There is something wrong with your interviewing skills. I took a FREE weekly career skills, years ago. It was immensely helpful. In my last 7 interviews, I got offers on 5 of them.

For the 2 interviews that didn't workout, I showed up 15 minutes late for one interview. The 2nd interview didn't work, because the job description was missing several skills that I did not have.

Last edited by move4ward; 07-27-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM

1,638 posts, read 2,603,397 times
Not sure if you have the opportunity to do this, but I did a mock interview my senior year of college and it was tape recorded. It showed me all my cringe worthy habits that I didn't even notice that I did during an interview. Not saying that's what's doing you in (it's hard out there!), but it could surely be helpful. Maybe you could find a career-oriented friend to do a "fake" interview with you and ask for some honest feedback?

On the positive side, if you are getting interviews, they see something in you that is desirable enough to actually bring you in. The most you can do is keep interviewing, and work on your in person skills. Something will come your way!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,010,287 times
I think I can beat your number LOL. In about 6 weeks, about 2 months ago, I went through the entire 3-4 step process with 5 employers, had another 5-10 phone screens that went nowhere. In the last 12 months I have went through the entire process with 10 companies and no offers. The doesn't even include creating marketing plans for about 6-7. I did so many in that 6 week period I have lost track and I think the number is higher. I even scraped the barrel. I sell high tech, and I was interviewing for copier sales and ins which are beneath my skill set.

So yeah I get it, first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search