U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,989,797 times

Advertisements

Im looking for some administrative/ customer service jobs while Im in school. I found this job description on Craigs list:

30,000plus, No Experience Necessary, Dental Receptionist (Linclon Park)

Our growing practice is adding a dental receptionist. Experience not required. We are happy to train you. If you have experience in hospitality, restaurant industry, sales, or customer service, we have a career of a lifetime for you. We will train you for a professional CAREER in dentistry. You'll be working in a professional enviroment earning a great living and working closely with, meeting and building relationships with new people and patients. Full time 4-5 days a week. How would you like to start around $30,000 plus dental benefits and potiental bonus money as well? If you want to be considered for this position send a resume AND answer the following two questions:
1) Where do you live?
2 Tell me why you're confident that you'll be my next SUPERSTAR team member

This sounds like a scam to me. But I have not done job hunting for a while so maybe Im wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,514,088 times
Why in the world would that be a scam?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 AM

1,415 posts, read 3,025,568 times
I have replied to so many admin jobs on Craig's list,i have noticed in doing so the email address's are all very similar and when they do reply they tell me the position has been filled but are many more all I need to do is supply my name, address phone number ect,ect,ect. I never send the information,im guessing its either a temp company or something else.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 AM

286 posts, read 500,058 times
Sounds suspiciously like a sales job to me.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Im looking for some administrative/ customer service jobs while Im in school. I found this job description on Craigs list:

30,000plus, No Experience Necessary, Dental Receptionist (Linclon Park)

Our growing practice is adding a dental receptionist. Experience not required. We are happy to train you. If you have experience in hospitality, restaurant industry, sales, or customer service, we have a career of a lifetime for you. We will train you for a professional CAREER in dentistry. You'll be working in a professional enviroment earning a great living and working closely with, meeting and building relationships with new people and patients. Full time 4-5 days a week. How would you like to start around $30,000 plus dental benefits and potiental bonus money as well? If you want to be considered for this position send a resume AND answer the following two questions:
1) Where do you live?

2 Tell me why you're confident that you'll be my next SUPERSTAR team member
This sounds like a scam to me. But I have not done job hunting for a while so maybe Im wrong.
Any job listing that says no experience is never to be taken seriously

Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,514,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Any job listing that says no experience is never to be taken seriously
Worst advice, ever. Terrible, and given your purported line of work, downright irresponsible.

Many employers actively search for personality over experience, particularly in customer-facing positions, as you can train skills (and it's easier to start with a blank slate), but you can't really change a personality.

This job isn't a scam, it's a role in a small business that likely has multiple duties that having the right personality creates a benefit for the employer. This person may end up discussing treatment options the dentist has recommended that will involve the customer paying out of pocket, along with dealing with insurance companies for payment, being the public face of the practice (or the first face/voice customers and prospective customers see), etc.

Some people just need to stop being so bitter and jaded - might actually be able to find work then.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
...you can train skills (and it's easier to start with a blank slate),
but you can't really change a personality.
It's amazing how difficult it can be to get this message through to some.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Worst advice, ever. Terrible, and given your purported line of work, downright irresponsible.
Really.

The only thing that would give me pause is the starting salary of $30K plus benefits for "4-5 days a week" which sounds a little high but, then again, I don't know the area and comparative salaries. But, for the little effort it takes to reply, go for it. It may turn out to be something great!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM

286 posts, read 500,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
Sounds suspiciously like a sales job to me.
I should add that the sales component might be upselling a product or a service that the dental office offers.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
I should add that the sales component might be upselling a product or a service that the dental office offers.
Most likely but she'll never know until she applies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search