U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,046,720 times

Advertisements

typical for some roles I guess. It happens more often when dealing with agencies since the money that doesnt go into your pocket goes to theirs. HR can play that game WITH the agencies as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM

341 posts, read 570,202 times
Absolutely. I'm not sure why the bartering of goods is such a taboo subject.

Would you pay sticker for a new car when you know theres an abundance of them for 10k less on other lots? Nope.

Same with workers. If you're going in for a job, you gotta compete- not just with your resume, but salary as well. Sometimes its a good idea to go in low, and after your 3 month probation when you put up great numbers, go in looking for a raise.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Why would a company ask for your minimum acceptable salary just to straight up ignore it when making the offer? Going through the interview process was a total waste of time for all parties involved.
Quote:
My minimum salary was still below the halfway point of that range.
I mean this in part sarcastically....
Oh please, do you know how many times HR or hiring managers DON'T look at stuff in an application or on a resume. Doesn't surprise me a bit you minimum was ignored. You 'll have a person doing an interview, and openly say "I haven't had time to look at your resume. "Tell me about yourself." Really? Really?

Every situation is different, of course. You don't want to bring up salary too soon, but you don't want to waste your time either.

As for negotiating face to face or telling them you'd prefer to come in and talk about it. Clearly that can't happen many times. Also in your case, ferraris, at least you didn't have to put on the "suit and tie" again and go through that dog and pony show.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,070,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
They actually posted a salary range for the position. My minimum salary was still below the halfway point of that range. I agree that it's likely they had another, cheaper candidate in mind who accepted the offer.
It is very likely they never intended to budge for anyone from the lower end of the range, and simply posted a wide range to attract candidates who would not have responded to their true, intended limited salary range.

Be glad you are not working there.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,199,676 times
Trying to lowball you. Make a counter above your minimum, see what they say. Remember the bargain days for labor may be over soon.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM

5,955 posts, read 6,858,642 times
I saw that the job was reposted online today, the same day that I received the "thanks for the response, best of luck" e-mail. I'm kind of surprised they didn't negotiate at all since they apparently didn't have a backup person in mind. But I guess I was pretty firm with my minimum. Oh well, it's over and done with now.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM

607 posts, read 1,169,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
I typically ask up front what the pay range is.
I always thought this is the LAST thing you want to ask in an interview? At least that's what I was always taught.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM

607 posts, read 1,169,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Absolutely. I'm not sure why the bartering of goods is such a taboo subject.

Would you pay sticker for a new car when you know theres an abundance of them for 10k less on other lots? Nope.
I agree. We've always been taught that salary is the last thing you want to bring up in any interview, which is ridiculous. Money is THE reason we work. One of my pet peeves is that many job postings don't mention salary ranges for the positions they're posting. I would like to know upfront what the salary range is before I even go in for an interview because I don't want to be wasting my time going through the whole interview process and then be low-balled at the end. There's nothing worse than an employer wasting my time through the whole interview process and then being low-balled. It ticks me off royally.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Last week I received an offer for a job that sounded really good. The job application itself had a mandatory field called "minimum accepted salary." The offer I received was $10K below that number. Was it wrong for me to be insulted? I was actually a little over qualified for this job based on the listed requirements. And my "minimum accepted salary" still fell below the halfway point of the posted pay range for the job title.

Anyway I essentially said back to them "When I said $X was my minimum, I meant it" (In a much more politically correct way, expressing my excitement about the job, yatta, yatta). After that, there was 3 business days of silence, and I received an e-mail from the HR rep "Thank you for your response, best of luck to you." That's it. No attempt to meet me in the middle (which would still have been frustrating, but I could have budged a few thousand maybe), and they didn't even leave the door open for me to accept it at the $10K lower mark if I wanted to (I don't). In short, this is the first time I've had salary negotiations backfire. Usually the worst they can do is say no, but this sounds like they've retracted the offer. It's a moot point if they can't come closer to my minimum salary; but I'm just wondering if it's normal for companies to completely ignore your minimum salary.

After a one line e-mail response from HR like that should i even attempt to continue negotiations? My gut tells me they probably had another cheaper person in mind, maybe one who has already accepted the lower offer. I'd still love the job, but it has to be at the right salary. Maybe my "true minimum" is $5K below what i listed, but I still can't take it for $10K less than I listed.

I don't see the issue here since the employer couldn't meet YOUR salary requirements. If they were offering you $10K less than your minimum then you should have no problem moving on.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 PM

5,955 posts, read 6,858,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't see the issue here since the employer couldn't meet YOUR salary requirements. If they were offering you $10K less than your minimum then you should have no problem moving on.
The issue was just that I was wondering if it was typical for employers to offer less than you state as your minimum salary. It seems like a strategy that results in wasting everyone's time. When I posted this thread, I was still wondering if there was a way to salvage the negotiation, but that was wishful thinking. Honestly in a way I'm glad that it was a low enough ball that it was easy to say no to. It always stinks when an employer offers just enough to entice you to make the move, but still feel like you should've gotten more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or