U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM

141 posts, read 132,249 times

Advertisements

Real scared what should I expect and how should I respond. Recent college grad with 6 month internship at CPA firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM

12,596 posts, read 15,062,766 times
Prepare just as if were doing an "in-person" interview. Research the company and those you will be interviewing with. Prepare and rehearse responses to common interview questions. Have a warm, confident and friendly tone and attitude in your voice, since they will not be able to see and read your body language.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,025,351 times
No big deal. Usually 30 mins. They ask you about your resume to make sure you are initial good fit, ask you if you have questions, and then it's your turn to close them to the next interview. If they haven't told me I have the next interview I relate what they said to what I have done to show you should advance me.

Here's what I suggest, mock role play it. Get a friend to be tougher on you than the real person interviewing and then you will be more ready. I wish I would have done that because the first time I did one a bit awkward because I am used to being able to read their facial clues in person.

Oh and they always ask.........is this a/still a good time. If you say no you aren't moving on so be ready and say yes.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM

141 posts, read 132,249 times
if they ask do you have any questions. do I say yeah and ask a question? if so what should i ask?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM

12,596 posts, read 15,062,766 times
Prepare and rehearse your questions in advance!

Ask such questions as:

1/ What is the company culture like?
2/ Why are you hiring for this position?
3/ How do you measure success in this position?
4/ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2455 View Post
if they ask do you have any questions. do I say yeah and ask a question? if so what should i ask?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM

104 posts, read 415,277 times
Quote:
I always like to ask what opportunities for promotion or additional training are available within the company, that way it lets the employer know you are serious about staying long term, and if there are no real opportunities to move up then it lets me know to keep searching for a job with more growth potential. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
If you do have questions, say, "yes" not "yeah". Sorry, couldn't resist! Good luck.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,478,283 times
In addition to the advice above, I would suggest making sure you are in the right setting for when you take the call:

1a - Use a land line phone to do your phone interview if at all possible. If spotty cel phone service causes you to break up on the phone (or drop the call atogether), that may annoy the person doing the interview, especially if it happens more than once during the call.

1b - If you have to use a cel phone, make sure it is fully charged up prior to the call, that you are not in an area where you might get a weak signal (such as in your basement), and if you have any musical / funny / whatever ringback tones on your phone, change it to a simple telephone ring. (personallly, if I were ever to call someone for a phone interview and got a Nickelback or Justin Bieber ringback tone, that interview would be over then and there ).

2 - Make sure you are in a quiet place where you will not be interrupted by any outside noises. If someone else will be home at the same time, take the call in a room behind a closed door and ask the other person(s) to "keep it down" and not to knock on the door or otherwise interrupt you. If you have pets that might make noise, keep them out of the room too.

3 - Don't be too relaxed. Take the call sitting at a desk or at a table, not while lounging on the couch or in bed. It is like when I used to work from a home office, I worked as if I was in an office, not chilling out in my jammies. It will help you focus better.

4 - Be ready and by the phone 5-10 minutes before the scheduled time so that if they call a few minutes early you will not miss their call. Just in case, as with ringback tones above, make sure your voice mail message on your phone is a simple, professional, "Hello, you have reached so and so, please leave your name and number, etc." Just in case they do call a bit off schedule and you do not make it to the phone on time, make sure that whatever they hear on the voice mail greeting is professional.

Good luck!

Last edited by Tober138; 07-30-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,760,068 times
+1 to all of the above.

I found that if I dressed as I was going to an in person interview, as silly as it may seem, helped me.
Have your resume in front of you so you can refer to it if needed.
Write down some of your accomplishments, or your best work qualities, so you don't have to feel like you are fumbling for answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or