U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times

Advertisements

Amazon makes it very easy too buy paper books, too, including almost-new ones. I read a review, want a book, and there it is on Amazon, barely used and cheaper than new. Anyway, Amazon hiring and being successful is hardly responsible for other businesses failing, even if it's "the reason why." The car companies put the harness and carriage people out of business by being successful. It's just how it works. I miss the bookstores, too, but note that I haven't spent as much time in them as I did when I lived in the city and the prices are really out of this world. I don't like reading on the Kindle and usually just buy the paper books on Amazon, slightly used. The Kindle prices are often little better than full price, anyway. But convenience is a click away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,764,149 times
If they are opening a fulfillment center in or near your home town, why not apply? Your chance would be as good as anyone else, assuming you meet whatever minimum requirements they are looking for.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 AM

27,409 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
Apparently this is true Amazon.com is hiring 5,000 people for jobs. My mom goes and see's this report on the news and tells me to go apply do the warehousing job, stocking stuff and shipping it off to customers etc. She says thats she what did she she worked at Sears years ago so why can't I get that type of job at Amazon?
I am in the same boat luckily they have on in Arizona so I'll look into it.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,926,977 times
Are they actually hiring or are they just going to get a contract with a temp agency and make people permatemps with no benefits and most of the hourly pay going to the agency? I know someone who answered an ad for Amazon and that is what she got. Plus they have a ridiculous "demerit" system and treat people like children. And they also have mandatory OT.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM

27,409 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are they actually hiring or are they just going to get a contract with a temp agency and make people permatemps with no benefits and most of the hourly pay going to the agency? I know someone who answered an ad for Amazon and that is what she got. Plus they have a ridiculous "demerit" system and treat people like children. And they also have mandatory OT.
They are promoting the jobs to have benefits so one would logically assume that would be the case. If not that's selling someone a pig and they get a wild boar.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM

15,393 posts, read 17,659,527 times
Amazon pays for 95% of your college tuition as a benefit. This is an awesome benefit. Any major. Many companies force you to pick a major that matches job titles within that company. Not Amazon.

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-30-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,512,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
Apparently this is true Amazon.com is hiring 5,000 people for jobs. My mom goes and see's this report on the news and tells me to go apply do the warehousing job, stocking stuff and shipping it off to customers etc. She says thats she what did she she worked at Sears years ago so why can't I get that type of job at Amazon?
Why don't you just apply? Is that such a cerebral stretch?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,389,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You pay for 95% of your college tuition as a benefit. This is an awesome benefit. Any major. Many companies force you to pick a major that matches job titles within that company. Not Amazon.
You mean they pay 5 percent?

Or did you incorrectly write that?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:02 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,512,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't blame that on Amazon, but on the lack of interest in reading books in paper form.
And I'm sure you know that this isn't news. Hard copy books will always have an audience but the market has changed drastically in the last several years with the surge in popularity of e-books and e-readers. Mass producers like Barnes and Nobles usurped small locally-owned book stores and now they in turn are feeling the pinch as technology advances. And thus it has always been!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 PM

15,393 posts, read 17,659,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You mean they pay 5 percent?

Or did you incorrectly write that?
Yes. I meant Amazon pays 95%. I corrected the orig post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or