U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
Reputation: 16147

Advertisements

I'm not sure I have seen a thread on CD that involves new jobs that didn't get bashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2013, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,082 posts, read 3,174,765 times
Reputation: 1599
There are pluses and minuses to everything...nothing wrong with a little healthy cynicism,it softens the blows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,432 posts, read 15,833,777 times
Reputation: 9903
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not sure I have seen a thread on CD that involves new jobs that didn't get bashed.
It's better than other jobs that have been created post-recession. There are many that see the rise of Amazon as the death nail of retail and even grocery stores. I wouldn't go THAT far because I still don't mind shopping if I have the time to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM
 
1,478 posts, read 1,902,755 times
Reputation: 2508
I applied and have an interview soon. It is not through a temp agency. I don't care either way; I'm tired of sitting at home not working. The worst that can happen? If they lay me off in January, I will have worked enough to put a few months living expenses in the bank, pay off the small debt I have, and if I can't find another job I'll return to college. I have a year left of hands-on training to do for a job in the medical field, so I can pursue that. If I like it and they keep me, then I have a job I can stick with long-term. I don't have to do it for the rest of my life. It may not my first choice, but continuing to sit at home month after month NOT working is no longer an option. I've been looking for work for over a year, and things aren't getting better. I at least was temping last year; now the agency has stopped calling. I worked for years at Wal-Mart's warehouse, liked it just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,082 posts, read 3,174,765 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I applied and have an interview soon. It is not through a temp agency. I don't care either way; I'm tired of sitting at home not working. The worst that can happen? If they lay me off in January, I will have worked enough to put a few months living expenses in the bank, pay off the small debt I have, and if I can't find another job I'll return to college. I have a year left of hands-on training to do for a job in the medical field, so I can pursue that. If I like it and they keep me, then I have a job I can stick with long-term. I don't have to do it for the rest of my life. It may not my first choice, but continuing to sit at home month after month NOT working is no longer an option. I've been looking for work for over a year, and things aren't getting better. I at least was temping last year; now the agency has stopped calling. I worked for years at Wal-Mart's warehouse, liked it just fine.
That's nice that you have those options,but most people that are going for that job probably have either that or really nothing;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,785 posts, read 9,258,976 times
Reputation: 7364
I have a good friend who worked at a fulfillment center in Kansas. I can't remember what the pay was, but I do recall that it was seasonal---I think it went from September to December. No benefits. The way she explained it, it was like a cattle call. Amazon told everyone upfront that they would be expected to walk x amount of miles per day (high mileage) and had to meet production. My friend and her husband are in great shape and went for it. They only lasted about 6 weeks ago before the physical pain got to be too much. They lasted the longest out of the original hires in their group. She said that Amazon just keeps replacing the people that can't do it.

My problem would be that this is a physical job that doesn't offer benefits. I don't know that workman's comp would cover the wear and tear on the body (they had feet problems, then it affected their hips, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM
 
1,478 posts, read 1,902,755 times
Reputation: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
That's nice that you have those options,but most people that are going for that job probably have either that or really nothing;
And I get that, which is why I try to keep an open mind rather than bash it like a lot of others. Honestly other than school later, it's all I have too. And I'm not even sure if I can do that. And it's scary; maybe I will find out I don't have any other options. Maybe I will stay there forever, if I get it. Who knows, maybe I won't even get it! I've been searching for work and can't find anything else either. It's not what I wanted after working my butt off in college, but it's all there is. I'm trying to remain positive about it rather than put it down before even giving it a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
12,677 posts, read 14,038,840 times
Reputation: 13507
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
All wonderful jobs too!

From Glassdoor the amount Amazon pays makes me giddy!

Amazon.com Salaries in Chattanooga, TN

FC Associate - Hourly
2 Amazon.com Salaries in Chattanooga (13 in US $11.01/hr)

Impressive, huh?

These are high paying jobs America needs!

//Sarcasm Off

What really gets me is people are celebrating this as if it is something great? Hate to tell you but $11.01/hr is next door to poverty even in Chattanooga.

So a single mom with one kid will gross $440.40 and take home $365.80. Really impressive!

Meanwhile, in the U.S., the average, full-time hourly wage for a Wal Mart employee is $12.78 with liberals kicking Wal mart in the rear every single day. So what is up with this, Amazon donates more money to democratic party functions?
Those Wallyworld jobs are part time jobs starting at $8/hr with no bennies. At least Amazon hires full time employees, with the addition of part timers during the busy season. Heck, some of those warehouse workers might even get some OT. You'd be written up or fired if you collected a dime of OT pay at Walmart. Let's not forget, Walmart is cited as one of the biggest violators pertaining to the use of undocumented workers.

I'm no liberal, but I still can't stand Walmart. Conservatives want people to make an effort to support themselves and their families without relying on various forms of welfare. Walmart does everything possible to stand in the way of that. Pretty sad that they basically teach their workers how to sign up for government freebees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,432 posts, read 15,833,777 times
Reputation: 9903
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have a good friend who worked at a fulfillment center in Kansas. I can't remember what the pay was, but I do recall that it was seasonal---I think it went from September to December. No benefits. The way she explained it, it was like a cattle call. Amazon told everyone upfront that they would be expected to walk x amount of miles per day (high mileage) and had to meet production. My friend and her husband are in great shape and went for it. They only lasted about 6 weeks ago before the physical pain got to be too much. They lasted the longest out of the original hires in their group. She said that Amazon just keeps replacing the people that can't do it.

My problem would be that this is a physical job that doesn't offer benefits. I don't know that workman's comp would cover the wear and tear on the body (they had feet problems, then it affected their hips, etc).
Good thing I found part-time work for the time being. I've had foot issues dating back 12 years and I am only in my 20's. I have special inserts in my wide shoes and still my feet would be dead from walking the 9 or so miles that Amazon is known for having fulfillment employees to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Arizona
3,664 posts, read 5,556,406 times
Reputation: 2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Ya, fire you if your not productive. The temps they get rid of after busy season because it is a seasonal job. It would make no sense to "fire" people if they still need them and they are good workers.
Lol, what?? Do you have any idea how many times someone has been good and needed but still been fired? Where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top