U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Deep South!
54 posts, read 149,549 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

i had an intense job search somewhat like yours from aug to april a few years back. the follow up helps. mail a courteous thank you note the same day as the interview- and send a follow up email if they indicated there would be second interviews etc.

expressing interest never hurts. if they likes you it brings you back to mind- and if they didn't like you - you've lost nothing but the stamp and a little time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Boston
177 posts, read 475,719 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Didn't I see on the other thread that you have no college degree?

If I were you, I'd have done/do that. Go back to school to get a degree. Now is the perfect time.
I think in my profession degrees are not that important. It's best if u know your technical stuff and have certification.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Boston
177 posts, read 475,719 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
This. And frankly, thank you/follow up notes or emails just annoy me. They come across as old fashioned, and I have yet to see one that I thought was actually worth the few minutes it took the applicant to send. Plus, like S. S. Lazio, I've made my decision 15-30 minutes after the interview.




Don't ask this. Seriously. When someone asks me this, it comes across like they know they're supposed to ask me some questions to indicate interest, but they don't know what to ask.

Since you're landing interviews, your resume is most likely okay. Sounds to me like something about the way your interview is working against you. Do you have any former coworkers or friends in the industry who might be willing to do a mock interview and give you feedback, both about the content of your answers and your communication style?

Here's the most common 'turn offs' when I interview someone:

- the way they're dressed indicates they'd be a bad fit for our corporate culture.
- not answering the question that was asked, but speaking for several minutes after each question.
- answers given end on rising infliction (like you're asking a question), which makes you sound uncertain and unconfident
- body language red flags, like not looking me in the eye or body language cues about being dishonest.
- trite answers memorized from "How to Get the Job" books. First example that comes to mind is the stereotypical greatest weakness being that you work too hard.
- not asking thoughtful questions that indicate the applicant genuinely is interested in the job and wants the job, is excited about the industry and would be passionate about the work.

I do think my resume is fine.. or I would not be getting all these calls.
There is something I am doing wrong in the interviewing part. I know its not my dresscode.
I usually wear a black suit and a plain formal blouse .. minimal makeup.. etc.
Body Language is fine, I sit straight, look the person in the eye... etc

You all had some VERY good points for me here in all the posts. I will prepare even better with researching the company, look at the job description in depth and make sure goes well with the resume.
I also need to brush up on when they ask me: So do you have any questions ?
Usually those questions I am sometimes not prepared for. Like you suggested thoughtful questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM
 
3,185 posts, read 5,813,880 times
Reputation: 1818
How do you know the jobs aren't being given to illegal aliens. after all there is no one stopping it from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,494,146 times
Reputation: 4920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I do think my resume is fine.. or I would not be getting all these calls.
There is something I am doing wrong in the interviewing part. I know its not my dresscode.
I usually wear a black suit and a plain formal blouse .. minimal makeup.. etc.
Body Language is fine, I sit straight, look the person in the eye... etc

You all had some VERY good points for me here in all the posts. I will prepare even better with researching the company, look at the job description in depth and make sure goes well with the resume.
I also need to brush up on when they ask me: So do you have any questions ?
Usually those questions I am sometimes not prepared for. Like you suggested thoughtful questions.
If you are getting weekly calls, the resume is good.

How many days a week do you spend in classes or events at practice interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Boston
177 posts, read 475,719 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
How do you know the jobs aren't being given to illegal aliens. after all there is no one stopping it from happening.
I doubt it. They are not that smart.

And that's not a nice thing to say. I am an alien too. But I am legal. Maybe that's my problem too.... cause I am foreign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Boston
177 posts, read 475,719 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you are getting weekly calls, the resume is good.

How many days a week do you spend in classes or events at practice interviews?
What classes
I do practice at home.. and read and try to prepare as much as I can.
Do you all know if there is a place that offers free classes ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,494,146 times
Reputation: 4920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
What classes
I do practice at home.. and read and try to prepare as much as I can.
Do you all know if there is a place that offers free classes ?
That's nice. It's not nearly as effective as a class. What's even more effective is video of yourself being interviewed by a stranger? Video assessment is cringe worthy, when we watch ourselves.

Google is your friend, when searching for free career development classes and practice interviews. If there is nothing, create your own meetup group. I did 9 months of practice interviews. In 2011, I had 2 offers for 3 interviews and accepted a $20k raise.

Before the practice interviews, I had a stagnant salary for 10 years. At that time, I actually landed 1 or 2 jobs out of several jobs from an interview. I got lucky with mass hiring for low-level call center jobs doing tech support. They would have you take an aptitude test and hire you based on the score.

If you don't start taking those practice interviews with live people, you will never know where you are messing up in the interview. I don't mean practice interview with another unemployed friend with poor interviewing skills either. You need to be interviewed by people successful at landing a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Boston
177 posts, read 475,719 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
That's nice. It's not nearly as effective as a class. What's even more effective is video of yourself being interviewed by a stranger? Video assessment is cringe worthy, when we watch ourselves.

Google is your friend, when searching for free career development classes and practice interviews. If there is nothing, create your own meetup group. I did 9 months of practice interviews. In 2011, I had 2 offers for 3 interviews and accepted a $20k raise.

Before the practice interviews, I had a stagnant salary for 10 years. At that time, I actually landed 1 or 2 jobs out of several jobs from an interview. I got lucky with mass hiring for low-level call center jobs doing tech support. They would have you take an aptitude test and hire you based on the score.

If you don't start taking those practice interviews with live people, you will never know where you are messing up in the interview. I don't mean practice interview with another unemployed friend with poor interviewing skills either. You need to be interviewed by people successful at landing a job.
Thanks again for the helpful tips.
I have not thought about taking a career development classes. I will look into that an I am sure they offer those at careersource but I believe you have to pay for them. But I think its not much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,752,173 times
Reputation: 4944
i do think that the 2 big things i can glean from your posts are (in order of importance) that you may not be asking good questions and that you're not sending follow-ups. if i recall correctly, that interview guide that jane posted covers both topics pretty well. i use a lot of the questions recommended in there and i've had numerous interviewers who were completely surprised and impressed by my questions. and, just as importantly, they are good things to know about a potential job and employer. knowing how many people are in the running is really not very useful (interesting, but not useful) and is an odd question to ask. i could see people being turned off by that.

i don't think a follow-up will change an interviewer's mind if they don't want to hire you, but if it's close between you and another candidate, one that is thoughtful and well-written could tip the scales. there's not much point in doing it if you're just going to say "thanks for the interview, i look forward to hearing from you", but if you expand a little on what you learned in the interview, show that you were listening and are still thinking about the conversation you had, it can really impress people. at the job i ended up getting, my boss sent out an e-mail introducing me to the staff, and she actually pulled quotes from my cover letter and follow-up e-mails to demonstrate that i understand and care about the organization's mission. so when people tell you that hiring managers don't read or care about that stuff... well, sometimes they do.

if you get a rejection from the hiring manager, it doesn't generally hurt to respond to thank them for letting you know and ask if they have any feedback for you. they don't always respond (it's unusual if they do), but when they do, the constructive criticism can be invaluable. for instance, a friend of mine is a hiring manager and she interviewed someone who badmouthed his then-current boss, which is a HUGE mistake. if he'd asked her for feedback, he could have learned not to do that in the future. or they might tell you that you did great but they went with someone with xyz specific experience, which is also good to know and might boost your confidence a bit. you just have to be very careful with your tone and make sure it sounds like "hey, any advice for the future?" and not "WHY DIDN'T YOU HIRE ME TELL MEEEE!!!"

keep in mind, too, that the job market is just really tough right now. be very self-critical and improve everything you can about yourself and your interview technique, but also realize that the odds are against you and it's not always you.

Last edited by groar; 08-01-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top