Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM

177 posts, read 532,207 times

Advertisements

Sorry everyone but I need to vent for 5 minutes
So I been unemployed since November ... and things are starting to worry and stress me out a bit.
I am IT field, I have 15 years of experience and my resume is pretty solid. Actually I been told by employers that my resume is very good and that I worked for some very good companies... blabla.
My resume is out there everywhere on all the boards, I apply for jobs daily.... I usually get numerous calls a day regarding my resume and employers do seem to be very interested in me.
I do my phone screens, some of them are better then others... and then I usually get asked to go to my interviews. I have lost count now, but I think I have been on at least 10 interviews or more the last couple of months. I dress and act professionally... usually the interview lasts 30 min to 1 hour. If I have to meet with several people it can last up to 2 hours. A few times things went so well that I was sure I get an offer - but then to my disappointment I get an email saying Sorry we picked another candidate.
It is really getting very frustrating to me and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.
One thing I don't do is follow ups and I have not sent out thank you emails.... properly because of frustration.
Any ideas or tips... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM

341 posts, read 674,860 times
I don't care about follow-ups because I know if I'm hiring you 15-30 minutes into an interview.

Sending me a thank you is not needed. Thanking me for what? I didn't give you anything. I need a service, you're qualified. No need for a thank you- seems like brown nosing from a "yes-man," which I try to avoid.

However, lots of people like the praise and feeling in control. If your interviewer is that guy, by all means make them feel mighty and powerful.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
Sorry everyone but I need to vent for 5 minutes

I have lost count now, but I think I have been on at least 10 interviews or more the last couple of months. I dress and act professionally... usually the interview lasts 30 min to 1 hour. If I have to meet with several people it can last up to 2 hours. A few times things went so well that I was sure I get an offer - but then to my disappointment I get an email saying Sorry we picked another candidate.
It is really getting very frustrating to me and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.
One thing I don't do is follow ups and I have not sent out thank you emails.... properly because of frustration.
Any ideas or tips... ?
Another poster on c-d recommended a free ebook about interviewing. Not being one to turn down free advice, I downloaded it and read through it. It is very good! I would recommend it, in turn.

Here it is: the Ask a Manager guide to preparing for job interviews

Let's keep the chain of goodness going!

Best wishes to you.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Ok. Well I was reading the book knock them dead.. and it says in there to do thank you emails and follow ups. That make you look like you are interested, and you get their attention and not get lost in the shuffle.
I usually also ask how many resumes they received and how many candidates they are interviewing. ... Some companies got like over 100 resumes.... so I guess I should be thankful I even land interviews.
I just don't know anymore. If my resume matches what they are looking for what am I doing wrong ?
I also wonder if its because I am a woman. I am just saying this... the last few times I went on interviews there were no woman in the group. ... and perhaps they would prefer a male over female.
I dunno - but something is just not going right

Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Another poster on c-d recommended a free ebook about interviewing. Not being one to turn down free advice, I downloaded it and read through it. It is very good! I would recommend it, in turn.

Here it is: the Ask a Manager guide to preparing for job interviews

Let's keep the chain of goodness going!

Best wishes to you.

Thank you Jane

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM

341 posts, read 674,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
Ok. Well I was reading the book knock them dead.. and it says in there to do thank you emails and follow ups. That make you look like you are interested, and you get their attention and not get lost in the shuffle.
I usually also ask how many resumes they received and how many candidates they are interviewing. ... Some companies got like over 100 resumes.... so I guess I should be thankful I even land interviews.
I just don't know anymore. If my resume matches what they are looking for what am I doing wrong ?
I also wonder if its because I am a woman. I am just saying this... the last few times I went on interviews there were no woman in the group. ... and perhaps they would prefer a male over female.
I dunno - but something is just not going right
They presumably knew you were a woman by the big name at the top of the resume, doubt that's the problem.

In your interview, do you come off as emotional? That's probably the biggest negative to a woman in the workplace. You need to be social/good personality obviously, but when discussing your job or duties, try to act more like a man- be cold, direct and calculating. Be more predatorial and less prey. That might help you.

Emotion is a weakness, and with women it's going to be a factor. Please do not take my coment as 'woman hating' because that's not my goal, I promise.

Just tighten the screws a little bit on your next interview- see how it goes. Maybe it'll help.

What industry are you in/the positions for? Perhaps I can help provide a 3rd dimension on selling yourself depending on industry.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,707,618 times
Make sure to study up on the company and incorporate it into the interview. Know what your talking about with the company and how you fit in.

Maybe get your resume reviewed see if you can make it better.

Make sure during the interview to speak directly and ask a lot of questions. Make yourself seems interested but not needy.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
They presumably knew you were a woman by the big name at the top of the resume, doubt that's the problem.

In your interview, do you come off as emotional? That's probably the biggest negative to a woman in the workplace. You need to be social/good personality obviously, but when discussing your job or duties, try to act more like a man- be cold, direct and calculating. Be more predatorial and less prey. That might help you.

Emotion is a weakness, and with women it's going to be a factor. Please do not take my coment as 'woman hating' because that's not my goal, I promise.

Just tighten the screws a little bit on your next interview- see how it goes. Maybe it'll help.

What industry are you in/the positions for? Perhaps I can help provide a 3rd dimension on selling yourself depending on industry.
By emotionally you are referring to: friendly, outgoing etc ... right ?
Well, I have to say when I go on job interviews I usually act friendly, try to be polite and cheery since I face customers a lot, I know they don't want to see someone crumpy and cold.
But maybe I need to be more serious like you said a man and be cold etc.

I am in the IT field, I pretty much do Technical Support, Application Support.. etc.
My last jobs where in the medical and pharmaceutical industry. I also worked in the manufacturing, telecommunications and software industry. I can pretty much do this job anywhere. I do have to say that my last few interviews were more for pharmaceutical and medical companies since that is were I have spent the most time in my career in.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
if you don't get the job, ask them what you can do better for future reference. no one in their right mind hires by what is written on paper, first impressions mean a lot. being professional and respectful is a given, but they also want to see friendly and works well with others. SMILE, be personable...and make them see you as a great fit. almost acting like you already work there or giving the impression that you would blend in well in a hurry is the best thing you can really do. you arent the only one with 15 years experience for good companies, many others probably do as well...it comes down to character and the judgement of your character. the longer you are unemployed the worse off you are, even if it isnt the greatest job in the world. with 15 years experience you should have some contacts that can put in a good place for a job

Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Don't ask about other applicants. That has no bearing on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search