Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM

177 posts, read 532,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Make sure to study up on the company and incorporate it into the interview. Know what your talking about with the company and how you fit in.

Maybe get your resume reviewed see if you can make it better.

Make sure during the interview to speak directly and ask a lot of questions. Make yourself seems interested but not needy.
Very good ideas.
I do try to research companies.. but I also have to admit I got caught of guard a couple of times were I did not prepare myself enough - just because I had to interview short notice. I need to work on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Don't ask about other applicants. That has no bearing on you.
Ok thanks. I usually do that.. just to see how many people are they still interviewing etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
if you don't get the job, ask them what you can do better for future reference. no one in their right mind hires by what is written on paper, first impressions mean a lot. being professional and respectful is a given, but they also want to see friendly and works well with others. SMILE, be personable...and make them see you as a great fit. almost acting like you already work there or giving the impression that you would blend in well in a hurry is the best thing you can really do. you arent the only one with 15 years experience for good companies, many others probably do as well...it comes down to character and the judgement of your character. the longer you are unemployed the worse off you are, even if it isnt the greatest job in the world. with 15 years experience you should have some contacts that can put in a good place for a job
That's what I thought about doing, when I don't get a job I will ask why so I can learn for future reference.

I know that it is an issue the longer that I am unemployed the more complicated things can get.
I promised myself that the first one that makes me an offer I will take it, even if the money is not right or if the situation is not perfect. At least I am not unemployed cause I think its starting to look bad.

I really don't have any contacts that I could contact for a job ... all my interviews come from searching online.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,056 times
I find that speaking in a loud confident tone helps. When people are trying to be polite, they usually lower their voice and it makes them seem subconsciously inferior. So even if I'm nervous, I make sure I'm speaking in a slightly louder than conversation tone.

I have no backing of this, just my personal experience interviewing.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I don't care about follow-ups because I know if I'm hiring you 15-30 minutes into an interview.

Sending me a thank you is not needed. Thanking me for what? I didn't give you anything. I need a service, you're qualified. No need for a thank you- seems like brown nosing from a "yes-man," which I try to avoid.

However, lots of people like the praise and feeling in control. If your interviewer is that guy, by all means make them feel mighty and powerful.
I take it there's no room for common courtesy in your industry/workplace?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Your resume is strong if your getting interviews.

You need to beef up on interview techniques. Research the company your interviewing for, their specific needs, etc. Be able to relate your skills with examples to their needs. Have good questions ready. Maybe find some people to give you mock questions and feedback on how strong the answers are.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Middle Aged.

Unemployed.

Woman.

It's not you, per se. It's the stereotype which you represent.

IT covers a broad discipline. Lots of it is young guys/gals working in a hip-hop environment. That is not helping you.

Keep plugging. Tighten your interview skills to be more 'manly'. Eventually it will all fall in place and you will wonder how it could have been so difficult for something which now seems so easy.

I am not sexist nor discriminatory. I just know how the world operates.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM

417 posts, read 825,012 times
My friend works in IT. He's around the same age as me. When he goes on interview for his field he says experience is secondary because if they called you in you can do the job. Every candidate usually can in a field that requires technical ability. So, what he says is in the interview you need to figure out what kind of person the company head wants you to be. If you can sell that package you can land the job. I suppose that goes for most jobs if there are a bundle of equal applicants, but he seems to think it is especially true for IT... That and proving without a shadow of a doubt that you can actually perform up to standard...and beyond what your resume outlined.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
Sorry everyone but I need to vent for 5 minutes
So I been unemployed since November ... and things are starting to worry and stress me out a bit.
I am IT field, I have 15 years of experience and my resume is pretty solid. Actually I been told by employers that my resume is very good and that I worked for some very good companies... blabla.
My resume is out there everywhere on all the boards, I apply for jobs daily.... I usually get numerous calls a day regarding my resume and employers do seem to be very interested in me.
I do my phone screens, some of them are better then others... and then I usually get asked to go to my interviews. I have lost count now, but I think I have been on at least 10 interviews or more the last couple of months. I dress and act professionally... usually the interview lasts 30 min to 1 hour. If I have to meet with several people it can last up to 2 hours. A few times things went so well that I was sure I get an offer - but then to my disappointment I get an email saying Sorry we picked another candidate.
It is really getting very frustrating to me and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.
One thing I don't do is follow ups and I have not sent out thank you emails.... properly because of frustration.
Any ideas or tips... ?
Didn't I see on the other thread that you have no college degree?

If I were you, I'd have done/do that. Go back to school to get a degree. Now is the perfect time.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I don't care about follow-ups because I know if I'm hiring you 15-30 minutes into an interview.

Sending me a thank you is not needed. Thanking me for what? I didn't give you anything. I need a service, you're qualified. No need for a thank you- seems like brown nosing from a "yes-man," which I try to avoid.
This. And frankly, thank you/follow up notes or emails just annoy me. They come across as old fashioned, and I have yet to see one that I thought was actually worth the few minutes it took the applicant to send. Plus, like S. S. Lazio, I've made my decision 15-30 minutes after the interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I usually also ask how many resumes they received and how many candidates they are interviewing. ... Some companies got like over 100 resumes.... so I guess I should be thankful I even land interviews.
(
Don't ask this. Seriously. When someone asks me this, it comes across like they know they're supposed to ask me some questions to indicate interest, but they don't know what to ask.

Since you're landing interviews, your resume is most likely okay. Sounds to me like something about the way your interview is working against you. Do you have any former coworkers or friends in the industry who might be willing to do a mock interview and give you feedback, both about the content of your answers and your communication style?

Here's the most common 'turn offs' when I interview someone:

- the way they're dressed indicates they'd be a bad fit for our corporate culture.
- not answering the question that was asked, but speaking for several minutes after each question.
- answers given end on rising infliction (like you're asking a question), which makes you sound uncertain and unconfident
- body language red flags, like not looking me in the eye or body language cues about being dishonest.
- trite answers memorized from "How to Get the Job" books. First example that comes to mind is the stereotypical greatest weakness being that you work too hard.
- not asking thoughtful questions that indicate the applicant genuinely is interested in the job and wants the job, is excited about the industry and would be passionate about the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search