U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,985,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd look for consensus in the reviews. If they are all pointing to the same issue then it is more likely true. If it is just one bad review then you should take that with a grain of salt.
^ This. You want to look for a pattern or a theme. If the majority of the reviews point to a lack of leadership, lack of training, pay etc... then you want to seriously consider those issues. Especially for factors that are important to you.

And if they are important enough - I wouldn't hesitate to target questions in those areas at the interview and see how they respond.

That said - some companies are so big, you want to make sure the reviews are applicable. i.e. if you're applying for a job within the Marketing dept. at a large retailer's HQ, comments about disorganization within their store front locations may not apply.

Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 AM

43 posts, read 49,099 times
The company is pretty big. It's a large investment company, with offices in a few other states. The problem, I suppose, with the position is that it's essentially a huge call center(where transactions and investments are made, etc) and so with any call center there are going to be the same issues: long hours with a lots of calls, micromanagement, difficulty moving into other positions, etc.

So far, most of the negative reviews have spoke of the "same" issues. But there have been good reviews as well...

Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM

1,847 posts, read 4,083,008 times
It sounds like it's not the best job. But take it as a stepping stone. You are a waitress now, and I'm sure there are days that you get home exhausted. Take this as a chance to get off your feet and to update your resume. If the job sucks that bad, then start to put feelers out there.

I have worked at some crappy jobs to get to where I am now.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM

7,959 posts, read 9,702,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton87 View Post
Which means that the majority of people that take on this particular job role are not happy with the company.

Wrong. It only means that those who are unhappy care to go to that website and make comments. Those that are happy in their role are much less likely to search out websites to indicate how happy they are. (This is true with all surveys. You are far more likely to take the time to fill it out if you are not pleased with the product or service.)

Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM

43 posts, read 49,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Wrong. It only means that those who are unhappy care to go to that website and make comments. Those that are happy in their role are much less likely to search out websites to indicate how happy they are. (This is true with all surveys. You are far more likely to take the time to fill it out if you are not pleased with the product or service.)
True... But it seems like every unhappy person had the same thing to say, here's an example of a review:

"I have been working at Vanguard
Pros – Vanguard's benefits are solid, their corporate culture absolutely demands respect from its management to its employees--at least in the personal, though not professional sense. Employees are never asked to do anything morally questionable. And employees are asked only infrequently to work only minimal overtime: Vanguard's "work-life balance" is superb. This means that Vanguard can be a great choice for someone looking to meet the basic requirements of "a decent job." But it does not meet the requirements of a career.
Cons – If you are applying to be a Client Relationship Associate in Institutional Participant Services, Retail, or Brokerage, you need to know this: you will not like your job. It's just the bottom line.

In your interview, ask specific questions. "Today, how much time between phone calls did the typical associate have?" If your interviewer is being honest, he will say "there was no time; a beep in your ear will follow the end of your last call and will start your next". Then ask, "why, were you unusually busy today?" The honest interviewer will say "to be most cost-efficient, we design our systems so that associates have as little time as possible between calls, while making sure callers wait about 20 seconds before being answered. If callers are answered sooner than that, we're overstaffed". Then think about that for a moment. "My job is to take as many calls as I possibly can during my entire shift?" "Yes", should come the answer--"except you get a thirty minute break and a one hour lunch". You are applying to a job in a call center.

Don't stop there. Ask "what are the people like to whom I would talk, generally?" "About half are fine. The other half are impatient, about a quarter of which are disrespectful. The most frequent callers, who make up about 80% of all your calls, are unable to 'self-provision', a term we use to simply mean 'do a simple transaction yourself online', and their inability to 'self-provision' often leads to their having a difficult time following your instructions or understanding your explanations. The most enjoyable callers--wealthy, professional types, call in the least."

"The recruiter told me 'don't worry, at Vanguard, we hire almost completely from within, and are committed to seeing you promoted early and often.' Is that true? To what jobs are CRAs most frequently promoted, at first". "Other jobs on the phones in the call center". "How long does it take to become a [what you really want to be at Vanguard]." "Well, at least 18 months by policy, but almost certainly about a decade. Vanguard hires a lot of people to staff call centers--thousands, in fact. There are maybe 20 jobs at Vanguard that really involve [what you really want to be at Vanguard]. Now, there are maybe another 50 that support those 20 people. And that's pretty much it. People who finally get one of those 70 jobs hold onto them for dear life. So, yes, we do offer almost all our "cool jobs" to people already hired, and every time we do--and it seems a posting for a 'cool job' comes along once every week--we get about 40 internal applicants, and we choose only one--usually someone a 'friend of a friend' asked us to hire. However, we always need people to staff our call centers (or our processing centers, etc.), so we will encourage you to apply to those jobs. Actually, we will discourage you from applying outside certain department into which you have been hired, since we know everyone would leave those departments if given a real chance.'

"How interesting is my job?" "At Vanguard--as you'll hear in corporate orientation, and, really, anywhere online if you care to look, our philosophy is 'choose us because we cost less'. Interesting jobs cost too much. We've found that training you in a narrow skill set as quickly as possible, and then putting you to work employing that skill set over and over again until, to be quite honest, you burn out and either start performing poorly or looking for a new job, is the cheapest." Follow up on this. "So, you're saying that I'll be doing the same thing over and over again?" "Oh, yes. You'll take about 2 basic types of calls. We try to route only those calls to you; however, if you receive one which is not intended for you, you'll transfer the call--you'll transfer at least one of every three of your calls. To handle calls you don't transfer, you'll read scrips and use a step-by-step 'dummy proof' program. You'll memorize these scrips. You'll read them about 40 times each day. You'll also memorize your answers to the questions you'll be asked over and over. In fact, in any given call, about 40% of what you are saying is either a script or it is a response you've memorized. You will experience pure joy when your shift finally comes to an end."

"What happens if I do my job very well and handle calls quickly and efficiently?" "You'll get more calls."

"Do we get paid well?" "Not really, no. But the benefits are pretty good, so there's that..."

Be very wary of accepting a job as a CRA in a Vanguard call center--especially if you have another option.
Advice to Senior Management – Get creative and built employee engagement into the service model. Think of it as a long-term investment in Crew. After all, we are a long-term investment company.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM

228 posts, read 592,145 times
I look at the reviews of my own company from time to time (large corporation) and all of the cons across all of our global offices are about the same and mirror what I have experienced. That being said....this job was a stepping stone for me and the company is a "trainer" company. Its a place to get in, get corporate experience, make some connections, and then move on, nothing more and nothing less. I have had a rough time with micromanagement and the like, but its also taught me about standing up for myself, navigating tricky personal relationships, and bringing my game up to a high corporate standard. Now? I am ready to move on to a job with better pay outside the company, using connections I made there, opening doors that wouldn't have been open otherwise.

To be fair, most large corporate jobs are going to be fairly grim, with their share of bad managers. Read a sample of reviews from any large company - micromanagement tends to mean different things to different people, so it is rather prevalent of a complaint. But if this is the best option you have right now that can help you for the future, then why not?

Any way to keep both jobs while you test out the corporate job for a few weeks?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,475,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Glassdoor and Indeed are one of the main places fired employees go to vent and exact revenge for being fired. Sometimes fired people were fired because they were not good co-workers, but that'll never be their version of the story.

There will be nuggets of truth amidst the vitriol, but just keep in mind it would be wise not to believe everything negative you read before you make a decision based on what you read.

This. People are often more prone to get on-line and vent about something they are angry about, rather than make an effort to post about how awesome something is. You see that on this very board every day.

Its like any other review site. You can go on TripAdvisor and see some really nice hotels at the top of the ratings list with tons of great reviews - but there will also be a handful for each property that make it sound like the ninth circle of hell, and frequently you read them and find that people are bashing the place for the most petty things.

So yes, look at the reviews, but take them all (positive and negative) with a few grains of salt.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 AM

400 posts, read 1,317,840 times
You need to build you resume which may have to be done using several stepping stones. This would be one....

Glassdoor is the best site ever in my view. Where there is smoke there is fire. Its a good set to inform yourself of what to expect during the interview phase and as a full time employee. Should one decline a job when he/ she doesnt have alternatives based on glassdoor reviews.... - probably not. But he/ she should come in armed and mentally prepared for what the work environment, tasks and culture will be like

Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

4,004 posts, read 4,574,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton87 View Post
When a job offer is given to you, prior to accepting it, do you research the level of employee satisfaction via sites like Glassdoor?

To make a long story short I was recently offered a job at a well known company in my area, with a great reputation and the name of this company is so well known globally that if I was to put this company on my resume it'd be awesome. Especially since right now I'm currently waitressing, because my field(marketing) is absolutely horrible to find a job in, in my city. That being said, this job is a great opportunity, and even though the pay rate is sub-par for this position, it's a lot more than what I'm making as a waitress and I know that even accepting this job will be a stepping stone to getting where I want to be years down the road. But I went on glassdoor last night just to gauge the level of employee satisfaction for the job role I'd be pursuing, and the satisfaction level was low for that job role. From what I read I'd be micromanaged to the point that I'd feel like a 2 year old, lunch breaks are short, there would be little room to grow at this company into another position, the pay is below industry, the hours are long and it's one call after the next(it's a call center environment), the managers are incompetent, the company is very conservative about a lot of things, hard work isn't appreciated,etc, etc . The only positives I read was that training was awesome, that the name of the company is enough to help you find employment elsewhere if you decide to leave, the job is stable because the company hardly ever lays off it's employees, co-workers seem to get along, excellent benefits, cafeteria, and gym onsite.

I'm debating on if this is the place for me. I've worked at a professional call center before as a life insurance agent, and I hated it, but that was "sales", this isn't sales it's more of the financial sector BUT I will be on the phone all day, I will be micromanaged, everyone will be drones, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong I hate that I'm not working in my field, and that I'm a waitress. It's embarrassing. BUT I actually like being on my feet all day, I like the rush that comes with it(especially on busy days), I like my coworkers, I like the unpredictability. But I just turned 26 and I haven't worked in my field in almost two years and I know that continuing the "serving" route is not a good idea. Should I just take the job anyway, knowing that the work environment will suck? Or should I just take the reviews I read off of glassdoor with a grain of salt?
glassdoor sucks it was way better when it was jobvent.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM

313 posts, read 515,319 times
The negative reviews are generally very true. Take the negative reviews very seriously. Do not take poor leadership to heart when you start working and plan ahead of time to deal with the bad training and bad supervision as best as possible until you can move on to bigger and better. I think it's great that employees post truthful negative reviews of their companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search