U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,389,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Oh please. This is a retail position for 10 hours per week.

The petty "manager" was lucky the OP gave her the time of day.

To the OP, I wouldn't give this one more second of thought. The "manager" isn't worth working for. With your internship, it sounds to me like she has some sort of problem with you having a career path outside of working in retail; Her criticism of your conservative attire would seem to confirm such. It's her loss.
Absolutely, well put...

I know the economy is still tough, but jobs like these are a dime a dozen (as they say). It's a numbers game at this level, just keep on interviewing, sharpening your interview skills and you may just stumble across a great opportunity you never would have thought possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,502,267 times
This manager knew that with school, internship and your other job she was at best #4 on your list of priorities. I'm wondering why she chose to interview you at all. If she knew you were only available for 10 hours a week, and knew what those hours were, then your limited availability shouldn't have been an issue if that is all she needed someone to fill. Perhaps she was concerned that you have too many irons in the fire and might get burned out. And she may have worried that you wouldn't stay very long once you realized that, so her investment in training you would be wasted.

I'm guessing you weren't offered the job. No biggie, another one will come along.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM

17,004 posts, read 20,725,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
All this could have been condensed down. Upon scheduling the interview, you were giving her a bit of a runaround as to when is a good time for an interview. Before taking that call from the jewelry place, I would have had the schedule in front of you and set a time. I would NOT have answered till you were prepared. Also regarding letting her know the availability, I would have simply said, "I just accepted a job that will have a set schedule of X hours. I will be available on these days/times. Will this be an issue?"

All of this is true.

In addition don't agree to 3:30pm and than ask to change it. And than get an attitude when the interviewer makes an honest comment about how the OP seems to be busy. You also don't tell them you want to move it up because you have a 4:30pm appt., it sounds to them like you have another interview to go to.

You keep that information to yourself.

While interviewing is a two way street, you have to keep in mind they want to fill a position with a
"problem free" employee. The OP came across as anything but that.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,057,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Absolutely, well put...

I know the economy is still tough, but jobs like these are a dime a dozen (as they say). It's a numbers game at this level, just keep on interviewing, sharpening your interview skills and you may just stumble across a great opportunity you never would have thought possible.
Indeed. Retail jobs are a dime a dozen. And for someone with a career-path like the OP, jobs I wouldnt recommend fretting about in the long term. Finally, the applicant interviewing the suitability of an employer is equally important.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,372,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
All this could have been condensed down. Upon scheduling the interview, you were giving her a bit of a runaround as to when is a good time for an interview. Before taking that call from the jewelry place, I would have had the schedule in front of you and set a time. I would NOT have answered till you were prepared. Also regarding letting her know the availability, I would have simply said, "I just accepted a job that will have a set schedule of X hours. I will be available on these days/times. Will this be an issue?"

I completely agree with you. Its just I had no idea who was calling when she called, so I answered and so I had to think on the spot. I even told her I didn't have my schedule with me so I may need to get back to her but she wanted to schedule right away. I applied over a month ago, interviewed at a store with their company, at my previous location over 3 weeks ago so I thought it was all over and things change in that kind of time frame. I did let her know my availability and her response was about how busy I am, nothing about how its not going to work out and how I shouldn't meet with her.

I'm not really worried about this position anyways. I really love my new job, just wish they could give me around 30 hrs/week (they're giving me 20-25). I plan to stay with them very part time if I can (and they let me) even if my internship leads to a full time position.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
All of this is true.

In addition don't agree to 3:30pm and than ask to change it. And than get an attitude when the interviewer makes an honest comment about how the OP seems to be busy. You also don't tell them you want to move it up because you have a 4:30pm appt., it sounds to them like you have another interview to go to.

You keep that information to yourself.

While interviewing is a two way street, you have to keep in mind they want to fill a position with a
"problem free" employee. The OP came across as anything but that.
Just so you understand..I never got attitudey with her. I'm just venting on here so maybe i'm coming across as having an attitude so I'm sorry for that. I was extremely polite to her the whole time, was friendly and smiled through the whole interview. I've been in retail long enough to know that those are important qualities in an associate. If my availability is an issue, no problem! but don't interview me and be a b word the whole time towards me.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Beyond that, some interviewers come off brusque, becuase they want to see how you will handle it!
I handled her the way I would handle a customer like her: politely and respectfully because I know its almost over. However, if I had to deal with her a few times a week...it may have been the first job I've ever had that I would walk out on.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,130,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I completely agree with you. Its just I had no idea who was calling when she called, so I answered and so I had to think on the spot. I even told her I didn't have my schedule with me so I may need to get back to her but she wanted to schedule right away. I applied over a month ago, interviewed at a store with their company, at my previous location over 3 weeks ago so I thought it was all over and things change in that kind of time frame. I did let her know my availability and her response was about how busy I am, nothing about how its not going to work out and how I shouldn't meet with her.

I'm not really worried about this position anyways. I really love my new job, just wish they could give me around 30 hrs/week (they're giving me 20-25). I plan to stay with them very part time if I can (and they let me) even if my internship leads to a full time position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Just so you understand..I never got attitudey with her. I'm just venting on here so maybe i'm coming across as having an attitude so I'm sorry for that. I was extremely polite to her the whole time, was friendly and smiled through the whole interview. I've been in retail long enough to know that those are important qualities in an associate. If my availability is an issue, no problem! but don't interview me and be a b word the whole time towards me.
Go ahead and rant. LOL. I thought you were fine. In another life I was an HR Mgr and, in later years, I worked some parttime retail. I agree with you, all she had to do was say , "it won't work. Thx for your time."

Good luck and stay in school. You will make it, I am sure.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,089,708 times
I have never known a woman who wanted to work for another woman IF they had already had the experience. My female friends and acquaintances all say they prefer a male boss/supervisor over any woman. On the other hand, the best boss I ever had was female (still is as far as I know).

Rules for an interview or for work period.

"If you are early, you are on time."
"If you are on time, you are late."
"If you are late, you are fired."

In an interview, you respond to questions and don't offer extra stuff. A employer can only ask certain questions anyway so there is no need to volunteer additional information. You want the job. You must convince the interviewer that you will be good for their company. That is a hard thing to accomplish.

You have a good story though which I will share with some other young people I know. Interesting. Thanks for sharing it on CD.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,060,226 times
mir your post above is a very good reminder not to answer live unless you are prepared always screen. That said as soon as vm check and call back ASAP. I can collect my thoughts and the info in the company in 5 minutes. So I wait for vm and then cb in 5. Totally acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search