U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,901,979 times

Advertisements

Even though I do agree the OP seemed to have a bit of a sense of entitlement, and calling to reschedule an interview is a HUGE no-no in my book, the interviewer lady didn't need to make the snide remarks. If this isn't good for the employer, she should have just told the OP to forget it - refuse to reschedule the interview and went with someone else. Don't agree to it, bring her in, then made condescending remarks about it.

I would also assume they knew the OP's choppy work history due to an application or resume; why bother bringing her in if the background was not what they liked either? Maybe they wanted to find out more, but when the interviewer learned that it was not favorable, she could have chosen to end it on a professional note instead of the passive aggressive attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,625,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I specifically said, that I did not tell her that sticking to those jobs was a major win, just that I thought it, as in, I thought it to myself. My resume shows that that has been my experiecne cause I've been juggling that with school. I never said any of what you said..just that I thought it. I would never talk like that in an interview. I know better than that. Please re-read what I wrote. In fact, she didn't really even ask me about my jobs, just examples of scenarios type questions. The only thing I did say to her about my "job hopping" was that I moved a few times and I've been a student. that's all I actually said to her verbally about that.
Non verbal communication...if you are thinking it, those talking to you are seeing it in your body language, your tone shows it...you showed it.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Oh please. This is a retail position for 10 hours per week.

The petty "manager" was lucky the OP gave her the time of day.

To the OP, I wouldn't give this one more second of thought. The "manager" isn't worth working for. With your internship, it sounds to me like she has some sort of problem with you having a career path outside of working in retail; Her criticism of your conservative attire would seem to confirm such. It's her loss.
Yet, it was a position OP wanted and OP treated the manager like she was doing the manager a favor by bothering to show up.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I handled her the way I would handle a customer like her: politely and respectfully because I know its almost over. However, if I had to deal with her a few times a week...it may have been the first job I've ever had that I would walk out on.
And, I am sure this attitude was well hidden. No one can tell someone who has one foot out the door hoping something is almost over. Nope, that NEVER comes through. (I need a sarcasm font)

Old 08-03-2013, 01:26 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,056,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Yet, it was a position OP wanted and OP treated the manager like she was doing the manager a favor by bothering to show up.
Perhaps she was, I don't know.

Your attitude seems to be one which does not support the common-sense notion that interviewing is a two-way street.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 AM

4,868 posts, read 7,369,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
And, I am sure this attitude was well hidden. No one can tell someone who has one foot out the door hoping something is almost over. Nope, that NEVER comes through. (I need a sarcasm font)
Unless you were there, you had no idea! so please I was nicer to her than she deserved. No wonder her store is so under staffed. I feel bad for whoever is actually working under her.

Ya, the rescheduling thing was probably wrong of me. I should have done what Colorado said...screen the call first so I can collect my thoughts. Oh well.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I have never known a woman who wanted to work for another woman IF they had already had the experience. My female friends and acquaintances all say they prefer a male boss/supervisor over any woman. On the other hand, the best boss I ever had was female (still is as far as I know).

Rules for an interview or for work period.

"If you are early, you are on time."
"If you are on time, you are late."
"If you are late, you are fired."

In an interview, you respond to questions and don't offer extra stuff. A employer can only ask certain questions anyway so there is no need to volunteer additional information. You want the job. You must convince the interviewer that you will be good for their company. That is a hard thing to accomplish.

You have a good story though which I will share with some other young people I know. Interesting. Thanks for sharing it on CD.
Haven't had that many male bosses but ya, women are catty. Especially in the work environment...eesh!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 AM

701 posts, read 1,329,560 times
Any interviewer who called me "girl" at the age of 27 wouldn't be my interviewer for long.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,159,365 times
THAT'S what you consider the worst interview experience of your life? It sounds more like you were simply inconvenienced. When I saw the thread title, I was expecting a story along the lines of getting visibly nervous or forgetting what you were planning to say, etc.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
THAT'S what you consider the worst interview experience of your life? It sounds more like you were simply inconvenienced. When I saw the thread title, I was expecting a story along the lines of getting visibly nervous or forgetting what you were planning to say, etc.
I've never really had a bad interview so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search