U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:15 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,639,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Unless you were there, you had no idea! so please I was nicer to her than she deserved. No wonder her store is so under staffed. I feel bad for whoever is actually working under her.

Ya, the rescheduling thing was probably wrong of me. I should have done what Colorado said...screen the call first so I can collect my thoughts. Oh well.
You were nicer to her than she deserved....well, that's all I needed to hear. Anyone else have any further doubts of the attitude displayed during the interview BY OP???

If you still doubt it, read the entitled hubris required to even TYPE a sentence like "I was nicer to her than she deserved"

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 PM

265 posts, read 343,103 times
Without having to read the opening post or a single reply in this thread I can guess how it has gone. I bet everyone and their mother is saying the OP screwed up the interview, and that the interviewers was the perfect picture of grace and sophistication. The interviewers is never wrong! Just like the customer is never wrong! Oh boy....it never gets old.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,069,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
The interviewers is never wrong! Just like the customer is never wrong! Oh boy....it never gets old.
The sums it up pretty good. When interviewing you need to be perfect and expect to be treated with disrespect. It's an employer's market, for now, and you can take it and keep your mouth shut or drop out of the competition.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,741,617 times
God if I had a dollar for every interview I've attended...

I usually get the job these days but I have met some absolute tools in interview rooms over the years.

They act like their company is soooo precious you'd be blessed to work for them. NEVER a good sign.

I have turned down positions because I didn't like the vibe.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,057,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

I usually get the job these days but I have met some absolute tools in interview rooms over the years.

They act like their company is soooo precious you'd be blessed to work for them. NEVER a good sign.

Indeed. There have been times I've ended interviews because it was a waste of both our time.

Lol... From a hiring manager perspective, I've had some real tools as interviewees too.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 AM

4,868 posts, read 7,376,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You were nicer to her than she deserved....well, that's all I needed to hear. Anyone else have any further doubts of the attitude displayed during the interview BY OP???

If you still doubt it, read the entitled hubris required to even TYPE a sentence like "I was nicer to her than she deserved"

Wow.
I'm done arguing with you. Evidently you've never dealt with rude people in your life and been nicer to them than they deserved. I guess being rude to her would have been better? Call it entitled..but nobody deserves to be talked down to (all, while yes, I was nicer to her than she deserved at that point) and most people I know would have given her a piece of their mind instead of playing nice like I did.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Well I honestly thought this company may be a really great place to work. Then I went to the first interview at another location, which wasn't bad in itself, but just super unorganized and the manager had none of my information. This is a multi-billion$ company...how do they do that being so disorganized???

I was still sorta interested in them after that but after this last interview..it seems like working there would be hell. They don't even guarantee your hours, too. Screw that.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,227,817 times
Quote:
I had applied for a major jewelry retailer about a month ago and they called me a couple days ago to schedule an interview with me. The manager was kinda finicky about fitting me in for a time to meet that worked for me but I didn't think anything of it. I'm extremely busy with my move to another city (where the interview was held that I just moved to last night) and getting situated with a place and my internship but my schedule was written down on a paper in my car so I couldn't remember off the top of my head what I had available for next week so we settled on a time to meet for this afternoon at 3:30.

Before the interview, I did advise the manager that I had accepted a part time position somewhere else but I would need the extra 10 or so hours (that my new job can't offer me), if they could offer me that. I did also explain to her that I would get a set schedule from my current job and she also knew I had an internship that I will be doing approximately 16 hours/week. Well, I called yesterday to ask her if it was possible to meet at 3:00 instead of 3:30 since I had another appt. at 4:30. She seemed ok with rescheduling but as she hung up the phone, she condescendingly said: "you seem like a very busy girl...". I almost asked her if that was an issue for her cause if it was, I would not have been offended if she thought I wasn't a good fit, but I figured if she still wanted to interview me, it must not have been a problem.

Well, I get to the interview and I'm my usual friendly self. I'm also wearing conservative business clothes of cousre, and she of course condescendingly scrutinized what I was wearing. Then as we walked to a place where we could talk about the position, she condescendingly said "thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to fit me in and meet with me..."...err..weird way to start an interview....

I'm 27 years old, have lived in a few places since high school so naturally I've switched jobs on average around 2-1/2 years, especially since I'm self supporting and need to go where the money is. She was bothered by my "job hopping" and said it was a concern (though it has never been a concern with any other prospective employer-that I know of). I did explain to her that I did move a few times and that I was a student. I didn't tell her this but the jobs were mostly hourly, non career retail and food service jobs so the fact that I stayed at any of those jobs longer than 3 months is a huge feat! My resume clearly showed that those jobs and positions were not career moves. She still seemed bothered by it. Either way, she was very condescending the entire time and seemed like a PITA to work with. She then cut the interview short and said "well..you seem like a busy girl..so I'm gonna let you get on with your day then!" and then quickly walked off and was really impolite. I never once acted like I had somewhere else to be at that moment, gave her my full attention and everything.

I'm blown away at her lack of professionalism and hypocrisy. She talked about how customer service is important and building customer relationships are important too (as if I didn't know that..) but yet here she was, talking down to me, someone who could also be a potential customer, and completely alienated me. I gave her every opportunity to not go through with the interview by being upfront about where I stood so she had no reason to be so rude.

This is my 2nd interview with the company, but it was a different store location and less horrible but even that manager was kinda rude (though nowhere near as rude as this one). My friend who works in management thinks it may just be their culture but even she agreed that this manager was really rude.

Thought I'd share that story and was curious if others have had similar experiences. This rude manager interview thing is really new to me. Never had anyone talk to me the way this lady did!
Sometimes it is just a woman thing!!! Uggggg!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,227,817 times
Quote:
Unless you were there, you had no idea! so please I was nicer to her than she deserved. No wonder her store is so under staffed. I feel bad for whoever is actually working under her.

Ya, the rescheduling thing was probably wrong of me. I should have done what Colorado said...screen the call first so I can collect my thoughts. Oh well.

Word.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Sometimes it is just a woman thing!!! Uggggg!!!
ha, well seeing as I have already offended half the board..I figured I'd keep that to myself even though I'm a woman and I'm allowed to agree lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search