U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,386,960 times

Advertisements

I had applied for a major jewelry retailer about a month ago and they called me a couple days ago to schedule an interview with me. The manager was kinda finicky about fitting me in for a time to meet that worked for me but I didn't think anything of it. I'm extremely busy with my move to another city (where the interview was held that I just moved to last night) and getting situated with a place and my internship but my schedule was written down on a paper in my car so I couldn't remember off the top of my head what I had available for next week so we settled on a time to meet for this afternoon at 3:30.

Before the interview, I did advise the manager that I had accepted a part time position somewhere else but I would need the extra 10 or so hours (that my new job can't offer me), if they could offer me that. I did also explain to her that I would get a set schedule from my current job and she also knew I had an internship that I will be doing approximately 16 hours/week. Well, I called yesterday to ask her if it was possible to meet at 3:00 instead of 3:30 since I had another appt. at 4:30. She seemed ok with rescheduling but as she hung up the phone, she condescendingly said: "you seem like a very busy girl...". I almost asked her if that was an issue for her cause if it was, I would not have been offended if she thought I wasn't a good fit, but I figured if she still wanted to interview me, it must not have been a problem.

Well, I get to the interview and I'm my usual friendly self. I'm also wearing conservative business clothes of cousre, and she of course condescendingly scrutinized what I was wearing. Then as we walked to a place where we could talk about the position, she condescendingly said "thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to fit me in and meet with me..."...err..weird way to start an interview....

I'm 27 years old, have lived in a few places since high school so naturally I've switched jobs on average around 2-1/2 years, especially since I'm self supporting and need to go where the money is. She was bothered by my "job hopping" and said it was a concern (though it has never been a concern with any other prospective employer-that I know of). I did explain to her that I did move a few times and that I was a student. I didn't tell her this but the jobs were mostly hourly, non career retail and food service jobs so the fact that I stayed at any of those jobs longer than 3 months is a huge feat! My resume clearly showed that those jobs and positions were not career moves. She still seemed bothered by it. Either way, she was very condescending the entire time and seemed like a PITA to work with. She then cut the interview short and said "well..you seem like a busy girl..so I'm gonna let you get on with your day then!" and then quickly walked off and was really impolite. I never once acted like I had somewhere else to be at that moment, gave her my full attention and everything.

I'm blown away at her lack of professionalism and hypocrisy. She talked about how customer service is important and building customer relationships are important too (as if I didn't know that..) but yet here she was, talking down to me, someone who could also be a potential customer, and completely alienated me. I gave her every opportunity to not go through with the interview by being upfront about where I stood so she had no reason to be so rude.

This is my 2nd interview with the company, but it was a different store location and less horrible but even that manager was kinda rude (though nowhere near as rude as this one). My friend who works in management thinks it may just be their culture but even she agreed that this manager was really rude.

Thought I'd share that story and was curious if others have had similar experiences. This rude manager interview thing is really new to me. Never had anyone talk to me the way this lady did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,662,587 times
You say you have had jobs for 2.5 years, and then you mention that you were stuck in a lot of hourly, retail, non-career jobs and that sticking in those was a major win...and you wonder why the interview with her went badly? Maybe because you talked about how it was a major accomplishment to even make it 3 months in an hourly, retail, non career job while interviewing for an hourly, retail non-career job. Oh wait, I am sure that wasn't it.

In this case, while she MAY have been rude, you managed to come across as self important, above the position, and insulting to her...all in one interview. She may have come across as a PITA to work with, but so did you.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You say you have had jobs for 2.5 years, and then you mention that you were stuck in a lot of hourly, retail, non-career jobs and that sticking in those was a major win...and you wonder why the interview with her went badly? Maybe because you talked about how it was a major accomplishment to even make it 3 months in an hourly, retail, non career job while interviewing for an hourly, retail non-career job. Oh wait, I am sure that wasn't it.

In this case, while she MAY have been rude, you managed to come across as self important, above the position, and insulting to her...all in one interview. She may have come across as a PITA to work with, but so did you.
I specifically said, that I did not tell her that sticking to those jobs was a major win, just that I thought it, as in, I thought it to myself. My resume shows that that has been my experiecne cause I've been juggling that with school. I never said any of what you said..just that I thought it. I would never talk like that in an interview. I know better than that. Please re-read what I wrote. In fact, she didn't really even ask me about my jobs, just examples of scenarios type questions. The only thing I did say to her about my "job hopping" was that I moved a few times and I've been a student. that's all I actually said to her verbally about that.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,060,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post

Oh please. This is a retail position for 10 hours per week.

The petty "manager" was lucky the OP gave her the time of day.

To the OP, I wouldn't give this one more second of thought. The "manager" isn't worth working for. With your internship, it sounds to me like she has some sort of problem with you having a career path outside of working in retail; Her criticism of your conservative attire would seem to confirm such. It's her loss.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Oh please. This is a retail position for 10 hours per week.

The "manager" was lucky the OP gave her the time of day.

To the OP, I wouldn't give this one more second of thought. The "manager" isn't worth working for. With your internship, it sounds to me like she has some sort of problem with you having a career path outside of working in retail. It's her loss.
Ya, she definitely made that VERY clear.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Ya, she definitely made that VERY clear.
When I was putting myself through school, I also had two jobs. One was related to my career-path, the other was a retail sales position taken as an easy way to earn a bit more.

It was obvious that the retail manager had a problem that I had other stuff (school, another career-related job) going on that was a higher priority. It only took a few smart-a$$ remarks from the bozo, and I told him he could take the job and shove it.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
When I was putting myself through school, I also had two jobs. One was related to my career-path, the other was a retail sales position taken as an easy way to earn a bit more.

It was obvious that the retail manager had a problem that I had other stuff (school, another career-related job) going on that was a higher priority. It only took a few smart-a$$ remarks from the bozo, and I told him he could take the job and shove it.
ohh ya..now I remember what I hated so much about retail. That woman has no idea what I've had to do to get where I am and I'm still not where I want to be. Meanwhile..I gotta make ends meet and if I wasn't right for her store, no harm if she woulda said so instead of being a total b word and made her company look really horrible.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I remember what I hated so much about retail. That woman has no idea what I've had to do to get where I am and I'm still not where I want to be. Meanwhile..I gotta make ends meet
Exactly. That was my perspective too.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 AM

219 posts, read 361,898 times
Unbelievable. So you expected the employer to schedule the interviewer around YOUR schedule, then accommodate you by changing the interview time, again, due to YOUR schedule. Then, wanted them to give you just the 10 hours YOU needed (which I am sure would have been when YOU needed them, and not the store).

As much as my pride hates to admit it, Bunny nailed it. She is the only "non-idiot" on this thread to date.

You may blow this off as just the loss of a part time job you didn't have time for anyway, but the experience just highlighted some major personality flaws in you, not the interviewer, that are going to cause you serious problems in your career if you do not gain some self-awareness very soon.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,990,156 times
I think she was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by meeting with you despite how you came off the phone. But something happened in person that confirmed her worst fears.

I wouldn't give that interview a second thought as clearly there is a personality conflict And you were upfront about wanting just a part time job and limited in your availability, kudos for that. I would however be a touch more humble, you do give off a vibe in your post and how things were handled.. Yes it's just a part time job, but give it a bit of respect. It's still something you need to pay bills/live better off of however temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search