Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 PM

33 posts, read 240,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, what I'm hearing is that you'd rather live off of my (taxpayer) money, than make your own money.

Thanks. I do appreciate it.

(on the other hand, maybe you should be thanking me.)
I really don't want to live off unemployment. I was laid off from my job through no fault of my own; it's not like I quit or got fired for misconduct.

Quote:
There is nothing stopping you from accepting this position and continuing to look for another one that pays more.
This is a valid point and one that I will consider before I decide what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcap View Post
FWIW I reposted this thread the other day in the Unemployment forum where I stated that the job was only a part-time position, with hours ranging from 20-29 hours per week, not the 35-40 I was looking for. Additionally, my previous job was a full-time position and paid more, at $10.39 per hour. So If I take this job and work the hours they'll give me, I'll pretty much be making what I am making collecting UI, give or take a few dollars.

Also, to be completely honest, this job is not one that I am particularly motivated to do. It's just, well, a job. It's not really in my area of expertise, so I would have to learn it from scratch, which would be fine if I had the drive and was interested in this particular field. I guess I could force myself to be interested maybe, but I don't know.
When you are earning your own money, you can get picky and worry about your "drive" and interests". When you are using my money, you have the obligation to accept any position you can get that is (in your own words) roughly the same amount of money. The taxpayers aren't giving you money so you can take your time and find your dream job.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's in reference to federal funds, not the state funds. The state funds are still there, as far as I know.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Did they discuss raises? Generally you get a raise within 90 days and if you are a good worker, can usually apply for higher paid positions as they become open. While you start out low, you can have the ability to make more within a short amount of time. If you had been on UI for some time and this was the first real job offer, go for it. It's easier to find a job when you actually are working. Good luck.
I asked about raises, and they said you have to work there for one year before anything is considered. Also, I've only been on UI for two weeks, and this has been my one and only job offer. However, I totally agree that it is easier to find work while employed, which is a factor that is making me want to accept the job.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Having just gone through this fun let me give you some tips.

You are supposed to take whatever job you are offered. As mentioned that seems pretty ignorant if the wage is lower than UI payout. With all the gov. cutbacks there is almost no one to check on you unless you are a big fish that is really gaming the system. Look at the recent CA Medical scam they couldn't catch a convicted felon from Texas so they aren't going to go after the small guy.Find out what the maximum payout is. This will depend on your state and how bad UE is in the state.

If you do what I did which is diligently look for work that is a good fit and can't find when your UI runs out employers will often perceive you as some bum that was watching tv all day.

So you have to decide. Take your chances take UI that future employers may see you as lazy or take the first crappy job, be seen by prospective future employers as a hard working person and work at that ****ty job and hope for the best.

Things are bad and are slowly improving. Frankly either choice is a crap shoot. Now HM may rebut me and say well if the OP had take that job they would have been seen as a hard worker and it would have been easier to then look for a good job. Possibly, but the truth is you may take the first crap job and be stuck there 4 years wishing you had taken the max UI and tried to find a true good fit.
Thanks for the post! Really gives me something to consider.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
FWIW I reposted this thread the other day in the Unemployment forum where I stated that the job was only a part-time position, with hours ranging from 20-29 hours per week, not the 35-40 I was looking for. Additionally, my previous job was a full-time position and paid more, at $10.39 per hour. So If I take this job and work the hours they'll give me, I'll pretty much be making what I am making collecting UI, give or take a few dollars.

Also, to be completely honest, this job is not one that I am particularly motivated to do. It's just, well, a job. It's not really in my area of expertise, so I would have to learn it from scratch, which would be fine if I had the drive and was interested in this particular field. I guess I could force myself to be interested maybe, but I don't know.

I would recommend finding a full-time job while receiving UI. Just be patient and it will happen. Don't fall into that part-time job trap

Old 08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I asked about raises, and they said you have to work there for one year before anything is considered. Also, I've only been on UI for two weeks, and this has been my one and only job offer. However, I totally agree that it is easier to find work while employed, which is a factor that is making me want to accept the job.

It is way too early for you to accept any job, please have patience and find something better

Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:

That is not a true fact. There are many people who find jobs while being unemployed for 6 months or more so don't think that it can't be done

Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
When you are earning your own money, you can get picky and worry about your "drive" and interests". When you are using my money, you have the obligation to accept any position you can get that is (in your own words) roughly the same amount of money. The taxpayers aren't giving you money so you can take your time and find your dream job.
I respect your perspective. However, I didn't start this thread to get into a political debate. I started this thread (albeit in the wrong forum) for the sole purpose of gathering advice on whether or not I could turn down a job offer and still be able to collect unemployment while I continued my job search.

I think between this thread and the one I reposted in the Unemployment forum, I have received my answer.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:30 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
You are supposed to accept the position, by law, from what I understand.
Nope. Try again. There are SO many more variables in deciding if you are required to accept a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search