U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:33 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,629,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The cap on UI is generally $275 weekly. That's without taxes, so dividing that by 40 hours, it is $6.87 per hour. So this job is going to be more.

Did they discuss raises? Generally you get a raise within 90 days and if you are a good worker, can usually apply for higher paid positions as they become open. While you start out low, you can have the ability to make more within a short amount of time. If you had been on UI for some time and this was the first real job offer, go for it. It's easier to find a job when you actually are working. Good luck.
You sure about that? Sounds like Florida numbers to me. The cap in CA is $450. In PA, the cap is $573. PLEASE know what you are talking about before you post on a UI matter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:53 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,359,389 times
I do believe that he said the job was part time and not full time. So that would be $9.00 times 20 hours. Companies should not call in people for part time jobs when they fill out on the application that they are looking for full time.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,944,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You sure about that? Sounds like Florida numbers to me. The cap in CA is $450. In PA, the cap is $573. PLEASE know what you are talking about before you post on a UI matter....
First off I said generally, second I have no idea which state the OP lives in. I chose on the lower end in case he wasn't maxed out. This was just an example and the OP obviously knows what he is getting. The advice was if its full time and earning more than what he gets on UI he should take it.

The point is moot as its a part time job, I wait and see if you can get full time.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 PM

234 posts, read 552,590 times
OP, I don't know what state you are in, but I know in MD you are supposed to apply to a minimum of 2 jobs per week while on UI. So if it were me, and I had applied to 3 jobs that week, and I decided that I didn't want the $9/hr offer, then I wouldn't even bother to tell the unemployment office that I had applied to that job. I would just tell them about the other 2 applications, and they would never find out about the $9/hr offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, what I'm hearing is that you'd rather live off of my (taxpayer) money, than make your own money.
UI benefits are paid for partly by taxes and partly by employers. So it could be viewed that he's just getting some of his taxes back (since some of his own taxes did go towards the UI benefits he's getting) and that his previous employer is giving him a "severance".

Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,053,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
OP, I don't know what state you are in, but I know in MD you are supposed to apply to a minimum of 2 jobs per week while on UI. So if it were me, and I had applied to 3 jobs that week, and I decided that I didn't want the $9/hr offer, then I wouldn't even bother to tell the unemployment office that I had applied to that job. I would just tell them about the other 2 applications, and they would never find out about the $9/hr offer.

UI benefits are paid for partly by taxes and partly by employers. So it could be viewed that he's just getting some of his taxes back (since some of his own taxes did go towards the UI benefits he's getting) and that his previous employer is giving him a "severance".
In CO it's 3 min. Here's a good way to keep a log. Every time you apply they generally e-mail put those in a new folder and if the audit good to go.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,629,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post

Please do not advise people to commit UI fraud.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,717,167 times
[quote=ccm123;30795872]You are supposed to accept the position, by law, from what I understand.[/QUO

Wrong, the OP just started on UE benefits. You should know being in CA that CA and many other states don't expect someone who was making say 60K a year to take a $9 an hour job, at least not in their first 26 weeks of benefits.

[quote=momtothree;30798667]The cap on UI is generally $275 weekly. That's without taxes, so dividing that by 40 hours, it is $6.87 per hour. So this job is going to be more.

No it isn't. Are you in FL? In FL it is, but in other states it goes as high as $500 or more.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post

It is FL numbers...LOL.

People shouldn't just go by what their state maxes out at. FL is one of the lowest paying states in the nation in regards to UE benefits.

IMO, someone who just got laid off should not just take any job at this point, look for something in the range you were making. Now if gets to be 4 or 5 months down the road and no bites than take a survivor job.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,293,749 times
It has been a while since I have had a need to read the terms and conditions of UI, and it would have been Texas specific when I did. As I recall, all job offers must be reported, but only offers within a certain percentage of your past earned wage level can disqualify you from future UI payments. I do not recall what the percentage was, but if you were earning $15 an hour and the offer was for $7 an hour it would likely be too low to qualify as a disqualifying offer. If you were earning $15 and the offer was $13, it would likely be close enough to cause your UI benefits to be terminated if you did not accept without adequate reason. The UI review board has the ability to determine if the reason for refusing the job was justifiable or not in their opinion.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is FL numbers...LOL.

People shouldn't just go by what their state maxes out at. FL is one of the lowest paying states in the nation in regards to UE benefits.

IMO, someone who just got laid off should not just take any job at this point, look for something in the range you were making. Now if gets to be 4 or 5 months down the road and no bites than take a survivor job.

Actually it's some posters on here you feel you should work at a fast food place right away so you can be active regardless if u only been on UI for 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search