U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:58 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If the job is well suited of course, take it! You think people are turning down decent jobs to stay on UI?

Here's a reality check for those that think UI is a welfare vacation:

1. It is taxable, both state and federal. So less money for people right off top.

2. It is a pittance. The highest in my state is $405 a week. Where I live is expensive. Nobody could even make just the rent and utilities on a 1 bedroom apartment on that. Then what about eating and other bills? Most people get off it as soon as possible in my area because housing is so expensive. There are no trailer parks to lay about in. You cannot get any welfare to go with it because UI is conveniently too high an income for welfare and food stamps. So please stop acting like it's some paradise to be on UI. On Long Island, NY, it is a joke and nobody can sustain themselves with it. Nobody makes a living staying on UI around here. Anyplace where people can is probably a hillbilly hellhole where you have to be half strung out on meth to stand living anyway so why bother?

If you are a guy you can make it work while living in a one bedroom and paying other bills

1. You definitely can maintain a car and gas

2. Eat two meals a day

3. No clothes shopping

4. No eating out

5. No dating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:25 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,679,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
That last part was NEVER the intent when Unemployment Insurance was created. It was created so people would, literally, not starve.

And, as per the OP, this other job pays roughly the same as the job he lost.

This forum nor this thread is about other people who abuse the system. Anger is directed that way in the proper forum.

Well you're incorrect. In most states you only have to consider positions that pay a certain percentage to what you were earning before.

As mentioned on here in Post #39, a poster from TX explains how if you were making $15 an hour you're not expected to take a $9 an hour job, but you are expected to take a $13 an hour job.

At least during their first tier of UE benefits. Now if someone is still not finding work after several months, than yes time to look at other options.

Why are you bashing the unemployed in the first place? Why direct anger towards someone who would rather be working at a job so they can support themselves?

I have no issue giving financial support to people who need help due to a situation they had no control over.

Unlike the couple I saw in the supermarket a few weeks ago, not married of course(because it is better to be unwed to get more benefits) with their food stamps, with a one year old and another one on the way. They don't even show any shame that they're on the dole, because they think it is normal to have kids you can't afford and get handouts.

Versus one guy I know who got laid off and applied for food stamps told me he went to the supermarket at 10pm because he was embarrassed to have to need them.

See the difference?????

Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,892,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If you are a guy you can make it work while living in a one bedroom and paying other bills

1. You definitely can maintain a car and gas

2. Eat two meals a day

3. No clothes shopping

4. No eating out

5. No dating
It depends where you live. I live in an area where an average 1 BR costs $1,300 a month in rent plus paying for your own electric, gas, etc. $405 per week with taxes taken out does not go far with those rents. Even renting a single room is expensive.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,892,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you're incorrect. In most states you only have to consider positions that pay a certain percentage to what you were earning before.

As mentioned on here in Post #39, a poster from TX explains how if you were making $15 an hour you're not expected to take a $9 an hour job, but you are expected to take a $13 an hour job.

At least during their first tier of UE benefits. Now if someone is still not finding work after several months, than yes time to look at other options.

Why are you bashing the unemployed in the first place? Why direct anger towards someone who would rather be working at a job so they can support themselves?

I have no issue giving financial support to people who need help due to a situation they had no control over.

Unlike the couple I saw in the supermarket a few weeks ago, not married of course(because it is better to be unwed to get more benefits) with their food stamps, with a one year old and another one on the way. They don't even show any shame that they're on the dole, because they think it is normal to have kids you can't afford and get handouts.

Versus one guy I know who got laid off and applied for food stamps told me he went to the supermarket at 10pm because he was embarrassed to have to need them.

See the difference?????
What really stinks is that they are treating people who are on unemployment insurance like they are welfare scum BUT people on unemployment insurance ARE TAXPAYERS TOO! Yes, they are paying income taxes out of their measly unemployment checks at full income tax rates just like employed people do!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It depends where you live. I live in an area where an average 1 BR costs $1,300 a month plus paying for your own electric, gas, etc. $405 per week with taxes taken out does not go far with those rents.
\

You can't drive if you are on UC i think. Food is more important lol

Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,779,960 times
Quote:
When you are earning your own money, you can get picky and worry about your "drive" and interests". When you are using my money, you have the obligation to accept any position you can get that is (in your own words) roughly the same amount of money. The taxpayers aren't giving you money so you can take your time and find your dream job.
It's not YOUR money. Unemployment is financed by the employer, not by taxpayers.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
It's not YOUR money. Unemployment is financed by the employer, not by taxpayers.

PREACH My brother

Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,707,867 times
Quote:
Well you're incorrect.
I keep re-reading your post and still cannot find where you show me where I was incorrect regarding the ORIGINAL INTENT OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE.

Quote:

I am not bashing the unemployed, nor am I bashing those on unemployment insurance. What I don't like are those who think it is perfectly fine to turn down a job that pays the same as your unemployment. Accepting such a position does not mean you cannot continue to look for a better job. It just means you prefer to actually work than to continue to take taxpayer money.

I worked for a company that declared bankruptcy. The next day I went to the unemployment office. When they told me how little I would be receiving, I realized I could make the same (hopefully a little more) by temping. I didn't even bother completing the application. I just left and drove to five different temp agencies. I was out of work for one day total. I started random temp jobs the next day, and within three weeks I "landed" the two day temp job that turned into a ten year employment.

(This job opening I saw today is a prime example of companies taking adavantage of unemployed people)

You see, no one knows what will come of the job offered to the OP (which may not be currently ideal). If he accepts it, and is a fantastic employee, maybe they turn it into full time. Maybe they move him into a job he loves. Maybe he makes contacts that lands him his perfect job. There is really no downside to accepting the job. We do know that none of those possibilities are available if he does not accept the position.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:20 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,707,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
If you don't think the employer's costs aren't directly transferred to the consumers (i.e. taxpayers), you've lost your mind.

And, federal UI is certainly partially funded directly by taxpayers.

(probably wishing you didn't rep me for my previous post on UI limits per state, right?)

Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I keep re-reading your post and still cannot find where you show me where I was incorrect regarding the ORIGINAL INTENT OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE.

I am not bashing the unemployed, nor am I bashing those on unemployment insurance. What I don't like are those who think it is perfectly fine to turn down a job that pays the same as your unemployment. Accepting such a position does not mean you cannot continue to look for a better job. It just means you prefer to actually work than to continue to take taxpayer money.

I worked for a company that declared bankruptcy. The next day I went to the unemployment office. When they told me how little I would be receiving, I realized I could make the same (hopefully a little more) by temping. I didn't even bother completing the application. I just left and drove to five different temp agencies. I was out of work for one day total. I started random temp jobs the next day, and within three weeks I "landed" the two day temp job that turned into a ten year employment.

(This job opening I saw today is a prime example of companies taking adavantage of unemployed people)

You see, no one knows what will come of the job offered to the OP (which may not be currently ideal). If he accepts it, and is a fantastic employee, maybe they turn it into full time. Maybe they move him into a job he loves. Maybe he makes contacts that lands him his perfect job. There is really no downside to accepting the job. We do know that none of those possibilities are available if he does not accept the position.

If UC is already hard to live off of then why should someone take a job that pays the same as UC when the thing below have to come off the top???

Transportation costs

That means you will have less money in the budget due to transportation. You didn't know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search