U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM

33 posts, read 206,965 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I could use a little bit more help. So just to preface this question, I got laid off a few weeks ago and have been collecting UI ever since.

Within the last few days I was called in for a job interview which I had today. The job is at a big box store and all the jobs they had open were not the ones I applied for, and this was never mentioned to me before the interview. Additionally, the pay is very low, at $8.75 per hour. However I continued with the interview anyway, since I was there, and it went very well. After the interview, the person interviewing me said she wanted to offer me the position, at which point I asked her if she could make the pay closer to what I asked for on my application, which was $11.00 per hour. She said the best she could do was $9.00 per hour since I would be considered a new hire.

TBH, she was really interested in hiring me and we got along really well, and she even brought in the store manager to meet me. However she could tell I was hesitant to accept the offer, so she said I could think about it and call her on Monday, but that the position was mine if I wanted it.

So my question boils down to this: If I don't accept this job and continue looking for something that pays more, can I lose my UI or be forced to pay it back if the unemployment department decides to audit me and finds out that I did not accept legitimate work? Or am I forced to take this job since I was offered what the unemployment department considers to be "reasonable employment?"

Thanks again for any and all replies. They are appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:12 PM

33 posts, read 206,965 times
Ugh, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Meant to post it in the Unemployment forum. Sorry. Maybe a mod could move it. If not, I'll just repost the thread there later.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM

12,594 posts, read 15,058,526 times
You are supposed to accept the position, by law, from what I understand.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM

7,385 posts, read 11,554,473 times
Technically, you are supposed to take the job.

I've never been in this situation, but I do know that UI asks if you have refused any work that week on the weekly filing claim.

So, obviously if you said no, you'd be lying. But I don't know if your state asks that.

Nevertheless, more people have lied even worse than that and gotten away with it. Of that, I can guarantee.

The main issue to me is, you went on the interview, so obviously you knew the salary was going to be in your 'ballpark'. Is UI paying much more than that? Did you make that much more at your previous job? What's the difference?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM

7,962 posts, read 9,710,285 times
So, what I'm hearing is that you'd rather live off of my (taxpayer) money, than make your own money.

Thanks. I do appreciate it.

(on the other hand, maybe you should be thanking me.)

There is nothing stopping you from accepting this position and continuing to look for another one that pays more.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM

15,358 posts, read 17,616,116 times
I don't think you are required (per Unemployment Comp rules) to take this position. I think they give you time to take a position that is similar in pay/location to the one you last held. They don't require someone that was making $100k/year to take a min wage fast food position and refuse to pay their benefits if they don't.

Go to the unemployment insurance forum...those folks know the rules and likely each state differs. Also google for more info. Don't listen to some folks that make you feel like you are a leach to society and that you must take any job no matter what. Just learn your state rules about unemployment comp.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcap View Post
Hey guys, I could use a little bit more help. So just to preface this question, I got laid off a few weeks ago and have been collecting UI ever since.

Within the last few days I was called in for a job interview which I had today. The job is at a big box store and all the jobs they had open were not the ones I applied for, and this was never mentioned to me before the interview. Additionally, the pay is very low, at $8.75 per hour. However I continued with the interview anyway, since I was there, and it went very well. After the interview, the person interviewing me said she wanted to offer me the position, at which point I asked her if she could make the pay closer to what I asked for on my application, which was $11.00 per hour. She said the best she could do was $9.00 per hour since I would be considered a new hire.

TBH, she was really interested in hiring me and we got along really well, and she even brought in the store manager to meet me. However she could tell I was hesitant to accept the offer, so she said I could think about it and call her on Monday, but that the position was mine if I wanted it.

So my question boils down to this: If I don't accept this job and continue looking for something that pays more, can I lose my UI or be forced to pay it back if the unemployment department decides to audit me and finds out that I did not accept legitimate work? Or am I forced to take this job since I was offered what the unemployment department considers to be "reasonable employment?"

Thanks again for any and all replies. They are appreciated!

You should only take a job that will pay more than what you are getting from UI because by accepting that job paying less it defeats the purpose of working.

Now if you reject a job paying more than UI then I would say that is not a smart move

Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,921,574 times
The cap on UI is generally $275 weekly. That's without taxes, so dividing that by 40 hours, it is $6.87 per hour. So this job is going to be more.

Did they discuss raises? Generally you get a raise within 90 days and if you are a good worker, can usually apply for higher paid positions as they become open. While you start out low, you can have the ability to make more within a short amount of time. If you had been on UI for some time and this was the first real job offer, go for it. It's easier to find a job when you actually are working. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The cap on UI is generally $275 weekly. That's without taxes, so dividing that by 40 hours, it is $6.87 per hour. So this job is going to be more.

Did they discuss raises? Generally you get a raise within 90 days and if you are a good worker, can usually apply for higher paid positions as they become open. While you start out low, you can have the ability to make more within a short amount of time. If you had been on UI for some time and this was the first real job offer, go for it. It's easier to find a job when you actually are working. Good luck.

What state are you talking about because that would mean UI is lower than minimum wage

Old 08-03-2013, 02:49 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,921,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
What state are you talking about because that would mean UI is lower than minimum wage
There are a few states with that maximum weekly benefit and less. I was taking an average amount. I have no idea what state the OP is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search