U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 PM

9,253 posts, read 11,806,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
One of the former companies I worked at specifically stated in our company handbook that they do not provide any information on company employees unless they have written permission by the employee. Since I never gave anything to them in writing, does that mean they would not volunteer things like my dates of employment and/or job titles if a prospective employer or background screening place called them?
Depends on the company. You'll need to ask them what they will or wont do. Just be aware that a prospective employer that can't so much as get a former company to even verify you worked for them, may becomes suspicious of your claim of employment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 385 times
Default Background Checks are more than just criminal records

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWantsToKnowWhy View Post
I had a job interview Wednesday for a customer service relay job that deals with death people and their personal information ..I was told that I start work training as soon as my background check comes back clear. I only listed one previous job (I got fired from the other two) but being that I only listed one job , my background check results should have came back already? ..right? I have no criminal record. Is there a chance that my real work history popped up during this background check? I didn't have to take a drug test or anything. I don't remember having to state my SSN # when signing the consent form but I did have to put it when I first filled out the job application. I really need this job and the wait is really getting to me. Any advice would be great!

A background check is much more than just criminal records, it can include credit reports, previous address checks, driving records, calling references, education verification, drug screening, etc. This can all take time, when phone calls have to be made, they have to wait on replies, if they check smaller counties that don't report to state data bases, that can take time as well.

There is a chance that your previous employers would have show up on your background check, especially if they ran a credit report. If you listed any of your previous jobs when applying for credit, then those can show up on credit reports. When employers see that, they may think you have something to hide because you lied about your employment history making them less likely to want to offer you the job.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 AM

39 posts, read 6,028 times
A full background check can include Facebook, Linkedin and other social media where you may have mentioned a previous job or even getting fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or