U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM

166 posts, read 250,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Our definitions can differ on what constitutes the worst interview. For me personally it was this one for the amount of time it took to interview. I never had another one like it.

Have been through the mill at some interviews-they last hours.To me, there is no reason at all to do that to a person unless they are applying to be the CEO of General Motors or something.Did they give you a drug screen test? I used to work in the home health field and they would make us urinate in a cup for drug screens and then pay for our own tb tests,plus buy uniforms before we even had the job.I have also been given psych tests and had my handwriting analyzed,for crimenies sake.WTH???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,910,229 times
I did at one job underwent a full pysch eval, for a grocery store accounting position. It was to see if I would ever steal. Well I giggle out of nervousness and kept giggling a little at the absurdity of it. It was noted that while I most likely won't steal; I won't take the job seriously. Yeah try being 17 staring at ink blots and being asked if you were at a bank and a robber asked you at gunpoint to take the money.....what would you do?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
For pity's sake the best you can do when hiring is select a group of qualified applicants, interview them to see that they really are competent and can present themselves in a professional manner and hire the best qualified after a background check. It really is that simple. Yes you may make a bad hire now and then there really is no way of preventing that. Even the FBI can't reliably behavioral profile people.

All this HR and psyche nonsense is basically like dancing in the woods and sacrificing a goat. Wastes time, makes you look stupid, and doesn't help.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
I think this one could have a shot at the Worst Interviews Hall of Fame/Shame (although it was entirely my fault for poor planning.)

I had a telephone interview while working full time.. there's literally nowhere to go for privacy at my office so the only option is in my car. Problem is, there's no shade in the parking lot in 100+ degree weather and the interview is right at 1:05pm with the sun beating down.

I had a meeting that day which ended at 1:00pm. So I was scrambling to get everything together for the phone interview in my car (including research I had done on the company, canned responses to common interview questions, etc.) I barely got into my car when the interviewer called me.. I didn't even have time to start the engine so I can turn on the AC (and I was nervous and felt it would be weird if the interviewer heard me turn on the engine.) So all I could do was turn the fan on full blast. I also didn't open the windows out of fear of others from my company eavesdropping on my interview.

So now, I was sitting in an overheated car under the noon sun in 100+ degree temperatures. I was sweating like a pig at this point.

In the beginning, I held myself together answering basic interview questions like "tell me about yourself", "why you want to work for us", etc.

About 15 minutes into the interview, the interviewer started asking brain teaser and technical questions. You know, the type where someone has 10 black balls and one is slightly heavier and they want you to find the heaviest one.

I don't have a clear memory of this particular period in the interview.. but I'll say it was a mildly traumatizing event with the swealtering heat, considering it was at least 115 degrees inside the car and I was being asked very difficult technical questions. Needless to say, I didn't make it past the phone interview.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM

574 posts, read 1,097,642 times
I had one that was scheduled for after hours, since I was working full time. The building was completely dead when I got there, except one guy standing outside smoking. Turns out it was the manager who was supposed to be interviewing me, he was about to get in his car and go home, he had totally forgotten about the interview. I ended up getting the job offer, the very next day, I think only because he felt guilty about forgetting. I wasn't remotely qualified for the job, was not a good fit, and they all but shut down anyway 6 months later.

But the worst interview ever:

I was young (very early 20's). The position was a clerical/office assistant spot, or at least that's how it was advertised. It was a small office, for an appliance chain (three stores total in the county). The office was dark, cramped, and filthy. Like, Ebenezer Scrooge would have said it was too dark and dismal. The woman who interviewed me was a heavyset, gruff woman in her 50's. She walked me around the entire perimeter of the office on the way to her desk, I realized later that she was parading me past the closed but windowed office doors of the owner and his son. She glanced in one door, and got a nod from the man behind the desk.

Next door was a sleazy hotel, the 'hourly rate' type. During the interview, I was told that part of the job description was to entertain the owner's son when he needed 'stress relief'. The comment was made with a nod in the direction of said hotel.

Being very young, and VERY naive, it took a minute for the implication to set in. I shook my head, stood up, and told her that I didn't think I was right for the job. Then I ran like the wind!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM

12,245 posts, read 17,982,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I think this one could have a shot at the Worst Interviews Hall of Fame/Shame (although it was entirely my fault for poor planning.)

I had a telephone interview while working full time.. there's literally nowhere to go for privacy at my office so the only option is in my car. Problem is, there's no shade in the parking lot in 100+ degree weather and the interview is right at 1:05pm with the sun beating down.

I had a meeting that day which ended at 1:00pm. So I was scrambling to get everything together for the phone interview in my car (including research I had done on the company, canned responses to common interview questions, etc.) I barely got into my car when the interviewer called me.. I didn't even have time to start the engine so I can turn on the AC (and I was nervous and felt it would be weird if the interviewer heard me turn on the engine.) So all I could do was turn the fan on full blast. I also didn't open the windows out of fear of others from my company eavesdropping on my interview.

So now, I was sitting in an overheated car under the noon sun in 100+ degree temperatures. I was sweating like a pig at this point.

In the beginning, I held myself together answering basic interview questions like "tell me about yourself", "why you want to work for us", etc.

About 15 minutes into the interview, the interviewer started asking brain teaser and technical questions. You know, the type where someone has 10 black balls and one is slightly heavier and they want you to find the heaviest one.

I don't have a clear memory of this particular period in the interview.. but I'll say it was a mildly traumatizing event with the swealtering heat, considering it was at least 115 degrees inside the car and I was being asked very difficult technical questions. Needless to say, I didn't make it past the phone interview.
Lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM

12,245 posts, read 17,982,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
I

But the worst interview ever:

I was young (very early 20's). The position was a clerical/office assistant spot, or at least that's how it was advertised. It was a small office, for an appliance chain (three stores total in the county). The office was dark, cramped, and filthy. Like, Ebenezer Scrooge would have said it was too dark and dismal. The woman who interviewed me was a heavyset, gruff woman in her 50's. She walked me around the entire perimeter of the office on the way to her desk, I realized later that she was parading me past the closed but windowed office doors of the owner and his son. She glanced in one door, and got a nod from the man behind the desk.

Next door was a sleazy hotel, the 'hourly rate' type. During the interview, I was told that part of the job description was to entertain the owner's son when he needed 'stress relief'. The comment was made with a nod in the direction of said hotel.

Being very young, and VERY naive, it took a minute for the implication to set in. I shook my head, stood up, and told her that I didn't think I was right for the job. Then I ran like the wind!
Omg, when was this? No offense, but that must have been as long time ?? Did you tell anyone? Sounds almost illegal :-!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,960,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I was expecting some horrible story. That was highly disappointing.
I consider this a horrible story. All this bs for a clerical position??? "Back in the day" I had one interview and was hired (I worked only 2 long term jobs in 27 years). Both were clerical/customer service/confidential positions. Even the 5 "fun" jobs I have worked since moving to Texas have been "one interview and hired". My heart goes out to all of you who have to "play the game" to live in today's world.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
this was just posted the other day, there are some doozies:

Interviewers Behaving Badly

i think i've talked about it here before, but my worst interview was for a job assisting the head of a small software company.

i wasn't really sold on it from the beginning so i e-mailed the guy and just asked him the pay, because it was an 8 hour drive, i didn't have any other interviews scheduled, and i wanted to know if it was going to be worth it for me to go all the way out there. he responded and asked if we could talk on the phone.

so we talk on the phone and he tells me a bit about the job but mostly about himself, his marital troubles, his kid, etc. still nothing about pay. but then i got some other interviews in the area so i said i'd come out in person.

i show up and it's this weird cluttered office in an old factory building. the person before me is still being interviewed and being shuttled around the office in front of me. i try to be friendly but she won't look at me.

i finally go into the office, but then the guy's assistant (who i called the dungeon master in my head because he looked about 18 and like he was into d&d and/or rush) called out and said "hey, ______(the person before me)'s not in here!" and the boss was like "oh she left? oh well, no big loss!" and his assistant said "no, she's not in the system to fill out our online application!". so the guy went and messed around with that while i was waiting.

then he spent about 15 minutes talking to me about his school, some stuff about the job he already told me, his ex-wife, his kid, which of his female employees his ex was jealous of when they were married, etc etc. when he was done i asked him if he had any questions for me and he said "no not really, i like you but i'd just need to see how we work together, can you come back and work with me for a day?" i was basically like "well, no." and he said he might be working in my area soon and he'd be in touch. so i came 400 miles for an interview in order to learn that the interview wasn't really necessary. cool.

then i went and filled out the application thing (designed by the company, which you may recall is a company that designs software) and it looked like it was from 1982 and had all kinds of weird redundant fields and stuff.

i never heard back. OH WELL, NO BIG LOSS!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,013 times
I am a teacher and wanted to substitute teacher prior to getting my own classroom. I went to one interview where the principal tried to 'scare' me by asking what I would do if....and the stuff that she asked was horrible. Okay, we get through this ignorance and we were in her office talking. Something happened at the school and she asked me to step out of her office for a minute. Unfortunately, she told me that I could leave my purse and coat in her office since 'she' would only be a minute. Fast forward, one hour and I had to ask her secretary to get me my things. Praise the Lord, I never heard from hre again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search