U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,942,233 times

Advertisements

A few friends of mine had recommended me for a clerical position to their department director. He then contacted me and asked me if I was interested in interviewing etc. I of course said yes as it meant higher pay/better benefits and this company was very hard to get into. Friends told me the interviews can be a bit long and be prepared.

I arrive at my interview, and had a 20 minutes or so first interview with the director. He said he is pleased with my qualifications and he would love if I could stay for the next interview with his boss. I did so and that was about 30 minutes. She liked me and said I can go through to the next round. (??) I stayed and met with HER boss. That was another 20 minutes or so and he said I was clear for the interviews. I then met with 3 coworkers in 3 separate mini interviews. (if you are counting that is 6 total people...) I then waited for an hour or so in the lobby to be told that I "passed" and can take the tests now. I then took about 2 hours worth of tests from filing, typing, categorizing, data entry and a general personality/theft type test.

By the time this was all done, I was completely wiped out. I had been there for several hours and all this for a freaking CLERICAL position. A few days after that I was offered the position but my goodness, if I wasn't, I would have been pissed. lol So while the outcome was favorable, the interview itself was grueling.

Your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 PM

287 posts, read 548,855 times
You got the job so why was that interview the worst?? I consider the worst ones which results in no job offers whatsoever - complete waste of time.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
You got the job so why was that interview the worst?? I consider the worst ones which results in no job offers whatsoever - complete waste of time.
Our definitions can differ on what constitutes the worst interview. For me personally it was this one for the amount of time it took to interview. I never had another one like it.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,821,743 times
I was expecting some horrible story. That was highly disappointing.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 AM

834 posts, read 1,521,653 times
A recruiter once sent me to an interview years ago where I failed right on the spot. I clearly did not have the right skills for the position. It was obvious during the interview. The hiring manager stopped midway through the interview, and politely told me that I was clearly not qualified for the role. He was absolutely right. I thanked him for his honestly, and was grateful that he didn't waste any more of my time. We did speak for a few moments afterwards as he asked me about the recruiter agency that sent me for the interview. I told him that the recruiter said I should just go on the interview, and see what happens. He seemed a bit annoyed (not at me), because he did not appreciate the mentality of just throwing whatever up against a wall and seeing what sticks.

I called the recruiter back, and explained to her what happened, and how the hiring manager seemed a bit annoyed about having candidates with the wrong background being sent over to him. She tried to play it off as if the hiring manager was being too demanding. It was a learning experience for me, because I realized that some (not all) recruiters think of the people they send on interviews as nothing more than mere cattle. The good news is that I did eventually land a better job a few months later through another agency. Nevertheless, I stopped dealing with that specific recruiter agency, because they seemed more interested in a quick sale then trying to actually develop a professional relationship with the people they send out on interviews.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,774,539 times
I've had so many bad ones, but if you get the job then it's OK. All my worst interviews have begun with a long wait for the interviewer. I think that's a sign right away that you aren't a serious candidate - if they wanted you at all based on your resume, they wouldn't keep you waiting.

Once I was kept waiting for over an hour while they interviewed the candidate before me. I had driven 9 hours for the interview and hadn't been told there were other candidates, or that it was a panel interview (8 people). Even though they had seen my resume, and knew that I had no experience with one particular task (filling out a particular form), the last question they asked me was "Where on form X is the signature line?" It was clearly a pointless question that I could not know the answer to. I didn't get the job - it went to the candidate they kept me waiting for.

Another time I was kept waiting for 20 minutes - in the hallway of a hotel room. There was nothing to do but stand there like an idiot. But when my interview time was over, the interviewer brought the other candidate in right on time - before he was even done with me - and then basically shoved me out the door in a rush. Got invited for a second interview (along with a million other people), but did not accept.

Another time, after driving an hour and a half in traffic and waiting maybe 30 minutes, the interviewer didn't know who I was and it turned out they had meant to cancel my interview since my start date was too late for them. She insisted on going ahead with it anyway, "since I was already there," but it was a waste of time and I was so angry that I didn't even try to hide it.

Now I think if I'm ever kept waiting or get a bad vibe right from the beginning, I might just cut and run right then.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM

341 posts, read 571,060 times
I had a job interview one time, lol, I'll never forget it.

The interview went great and then I got the obligatory "let's go walk around the office and meet everyone" invite.

At the point, the job was mine and we went around. We met up with a guy who was working in an area that I wanted to work in. After shaking his hand I asked him a couple specific questions and he didn't have an answer as he blankly looked at the boss who was leading me around.

After we walked away, I thought it'd be a good time to tell the boss the answers and how I knew all about it.

The boss looks at me, "Well, making my workers look bad like that is certainly not a great way to get the job."

I knew the job was now off the table, told him to not get touchy about it and told him I'd see myself out.

Foot in mouth.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,049,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
For me personally it was this one for the amount of time it took to interview.
That's standard these days, congrats on your job.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's standard these days, congrats on your job.
Oh it was years ago. Really interviews are that long and with that many people? I haven't heard of that from friends and family around me. That's nuts.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I had a job interview one time, lol, I'll never forget it.

The interview went great and then I got the obligatory "let's go walk around the office and meet everyone" invite.

At the point, the job was mine and we went around. We met up with a guy who was working in an area that I wanted to work in. After shaking his hand I asked him a couple specific questions and he didn't have an answer as he blankly looked at the boss who was leading me around.

After we walked away, I thought it'd be a good time to tell the boss the answers and how I knew all about it.

The boss looks at me, "Well, making my workers look bad like that is certainly not a great way to get the job."

I knew the job was now off the table, told him to not get touchy about it and told him I'd see myself out.

Foot in mouth.
Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search