U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,215,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbomb1987 View Post
Recently, I've came to the conclusion that I need to follow my heart for a year, as an experiment. I'm under the impression that by following their heart and intuitions, you'll have greater success and live a happier life in terms of career satisfaction. At the moment, I'm working whatever job I can to make ends meet - but what's the point if it's not satisfying on a personal level? Might as well take a chance and not care for money.

To me, it seems like a reasonable clause. Who's in with me on the challenge?
If you have nothing better to do and can afford to lose a year worth of time/salary/opportunities - sure, go for it!

If you have a plan or direction - sure, go for it! Hope you find success.

If you just want to follow your heart without listening to your brain - well, sure go for it! Its your life!

But do remember - career satisfaction is a "nice to have". You will do (relatively) fine without being satisfied with your career your entire life. A career that pays for your family and you is a "MUST have"! You cannot do without one even for a couple months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,514,750 times
I'm sorry, but so far most of the responses to the OP have been just plain stupid.

It is a legitimate diiscussion question.

It is interesting that most of you interpreted it to mean to not work at all. You all must be ''miserable bastards'' in your own jobs! LOL

OP, I say ''follow your heart'' in life- period. Life is very short. Much of it is frittered away in misery and compromise.

Thoreau said, ''Most men live lives of quiet desperation'', or something like that.

Find work that is fulfilling as you can and if not, then take something to put food on the table and a roof over your head and take up fulfilling hobbies and interests.

Put your focus on friends, family, your health, and enjoying each day as it comes.

I spent years being miserable while making big money. No more.

Now I live on less, live simply, and enjoy each day more thqn I ever did when obcessed with work and money.

Anyone can do it if they have the vision and go toward it.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,214,499 times
I followed my heart to get a Mech Eng degree but everything just hasn't worked out.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM

156 posts, read 381,995 times
"Following your heart" and being successful at work are not mutually exclusive. As a matter of fact, for many people, they're closely related.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
"Following your heart" and being successful at work are not mutually exclusive. As a matter of fact, for many people, they're closely related.
That too!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I followed my heart to get a Mech Eng degree but everything just hasn't worked out.
LOL

Maybe time to move on then to something else?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,044,350 times
The best advice from a proven winner Mark Cuban " Don't follow your passion follow your effort "
Dont Follow Your Passion, Follow Your Effort | blog maverick

Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 5,070,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbomb1987 View Post
Recently, I've came to the conclusion that I need to follow my heart for a year, as an experiment. I'm under the impression that by following their heart and intuitions, you'll have greater success and live a happier life in terms of career satisfaction. At the moment, I'm working whatever job I can to make ends meet - but what's the point if it's not satisfying on a personal level? Might as well take a chance and not care for money.

To me, it seems like a reasonable clause. Who's in with me on the challenge?
What if my heart resents a career of any kind and sees it as a necessary evil I can't avoid? How can I follow my heart's wishes and keep roof over my head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

Put your focus on friends, family, your health, and enjoying each day as it comes.
It takes a loss of income, a loss of career (meaning a career with reasonable social status) for most of us to see that we have no real friends and frequently family. Everything in our world is social class centered, your social class is linked to your career success. Your friends and family, your health and enjoyment linked to your social class. The end.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What if my heart resents a career of any kind and sees it as a necessary evil I can't avoid? How can I follow my heart's wishes and keep roof over my head?

It takes a loss of income, a loss of career (meaning a career with reasonable social status) for most of us to see that we have no real friends and frequently family. Everything in our world is social class centered, your social class is linked to your career success. Your friends and family, your health and enjoyment linked to your social class. The end.
Well, I lost EVERYTHING meaning job/career/professional status, all savings, my car, most of my possessions sold to get money after unemployment income ran out, car, and was eventually evicted. Multiple lay offs and long term unemployment for a period covering 7 years.

It was because of what I went through that I learned who my real friends and family were. And there were few but they have become ''rocks'' in my life and I in theirs.

I also got my priorities straight and for me found the focus in life that was important and it was no'longer having a lot of money or buying stuff all the time that I did not need.

Yes, I saw clearly that classicism is alive and well in this country and that unemployed or the economically poor are looked down on and ostracised.

But I'd moved beyond caring about these people and came to realize that I had more joy, richness, and depth to my living in my condition than any of them ever did or will.

My identity changed with this move away from all the preoccupation with money and shopping.

I found inner freedom, peace, and contentment.

It's all in how you look at it and how you see yourself.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:01 AM

13,334 posts, read 25,590,184 times
I am intrigued by what appears to be a false dichotomy- either earn big money or be authentic and happy. First of all, how many of us have an option of earning big money at the cost of our souls or anything else? I know I don't, and haven't. It's never been an option.
So, work as a waitress so I can write the Great Novel in my spare time? Don't think so. A soul-eating job can earn big money or can be grinding at low money. It's not the money that grinds the soul, it's the working.
Offhand, it seems that a lot of "heart following" costs money, too- train horses, travel, supplies for one's artistic endeavor, a peaceful roof over the head. Money for services that you might want (learning/medical/repair) or need (same).
It seems artificial to see either "big money/buy lots of junk/care what others think" *versus* a simple life of real people. Isn't most real life somewhere in between?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search