U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 AM

2,138 posts, read 4,788,704 times

Advertisements

Do it while you are young. Can't do that ship when you are 40 and have 3 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,100,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Offhand, it seems that a lot of "heart following" costs money, too- train horses, travel, supplies for one's artistic endeavor, a peaceful roof over the head. Money for services that you might want (learning/medical/repair) or need (same).
It seems artificial to see either "big money/buy lots of junk/care what others think" *versus* a simple life of real people. Isn't most real life somewhere in between?
Exactly. I think you need a balance. Being a full time musician would be fantastic... But then I wouldn't have a steady pay check, I'd constantly be on the road, and after a while I could get burnt out and lose interest in music.

My job isn't the most satisfying (and I am looking for one I'd enjoy more), but I have no worries about job security, I'm able to afford certain things that I want (not just need), and I can pursue hobbies in my free time.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,672,995 times
I'm 35 and have not grown out of the "follow your dreams" phase, but with a husband, two kids and two cats, I'm a bit more realistic about it than I used to be. Anyway, check out Niall Doherty's Disrupting the Rabblement. It's a blog. Google it because I'm on my phone and its a pain to c/p. His whole premise is that you should do what suits you and not worry about what others think. He also has good tips for making that happen. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
A lot of times, what others think isn't the roadblock; at least, it never has been for me (then again, I'm told I was "raised by wolves," so what do I know). It's just really hard to do what you want if you don't have resources to execute that doing. Say you really want to make furniture. You need a workshop. You need tools. You should have your own health insurance. It has nothing to do with others' expectations, but being able to try out your own.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:33 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
Quote:
I am intrigued by what appears to be a false dichotomy- either earn big money or be authentic and happy. First of all, how many of us have an option of earning big money at the cost of our souls or anything else? I know I don't, and haven't. It's never been an option.
So, work as a waitress so I can write the Great Novel in my spare time? Don't think so. A soul-eating job can earn big money or can be grinding at low money. It's not the money that grinds the soul, it's the working.
Offhand, it seems that a lot of "heart following" costs money, too- train horses, travel, supplies for one's artistic endeavor, a peaceful roof over the head. Money for services that you might want (learning/medical/repair) or need (same).
It seems artificial to see either "big money/buy lots of junk/care what others think" *versus* a simple life of real people. Isn't most real life somewhere in between?
I only shared MY experience so I'm sure it is not exclusive.

And I agree with you- it's not the money, it's truly the grind involved. For me it was ''soul sucking''.

Everybody has their own vision of how they want their lifestyle to be.

I'm just saying ''go for it'', whatever IT is!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 AM

8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbomb1987 View Post
Recently, I've came to the conclusion that I need to follow my heart for a year, as an experiment. I'm under the impression that by following their heart and intuitions, you'll have greater success and live a happier life in terms of career satisfaction. At the moment, I'm working whatever job I can to make ends meet - but what's the point if it's not satisfying on a personal level? Might as well take a chance and not care for money.

To me, it seems like a reasonable clause. Who's in with me on the challenge?

As long as your 'heart and intuitions' have enough savings to pay the bills, I say go for it.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,273,911 times
Quote:
I am intrigued by what appears to be a false dichotomy- either earn big money or be authentic and happy. First of all, how many of us have an option of earning big money at the cost of our souls or anything else? I know I don't, and haven't. It's never been an option.
So, work as a waitress so I can write the Great Novel in my spare time? Don't think so. A soul-eating job can earn big money or can be grinding at low money. It's not the money that grinds the soul, it's the working.
their is no cost if you enjoy what you are doing

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
I mean a cost in concrete terms, as I said above. If you enjoy bird-watching or meditating, you only need money for your basic support, and you can decide how basic that is. If you enjoy restoring old cars, you need money for what you enjoy. I find it soul-satisfying to adopt unadoptable senior dogs. Have to have a place for them to live with me and money to support their needs.
For those who want to do art or play music I've wondered. Does playing wedding gigs or teaching when you don't want to teach better than finding something reasonable to do for money? Does playing wedding gigs hurt the playing that matters to you? How does it affect you if you don't have the money to fix a broken tooth or need new glasses? Money is always big corporate earnings (I know very few of those people) and what ones needs money for isn't always "stuff", especially in perceived competition with people who have said stuff. I always say that following your heart is worth every honest effort, and you often have to know what to call it quits. That's all.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbomb1987 View Post
Recently, I've came to the conclusion that I need to follow my heart for a year, as an experiment. I'm under the impression that by following their heart and intuitions, you'll have greater success and live a happier life in terms of career satisfaction. At the moment, I'm working whatever job I can to make ends meet - but what's the point if it's not satisfying on a personal level? Might as well take a chance and not care for money.

To me, it seems like a reasonable clause. Who's in with me on the challenge?
I congratulate you on your desire to do this. So many of us are stuck in the rut of doing what we think we "have to do" when our lives are just passing us by. If this is what you want, I say go for it and don't let nay-sayers discourage you!

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search