U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 22,555 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've came to the conclusion that I need to follow my heart for a year, as an experiment. I'm under the impression that by following their heart and intuitions, you'll have greater success and live a happier life in terms of career satisfaction. At the moment, I'm working whatever job I can to make ends meet - but what's the point if it's not satisfying on a personal level? Might as well take a chance and not care for money.

To me, it seems like a reasonable clause. Who's in with me on the challenge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,788,649 times
Follow your heart? What the hell does that actually mean?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 PM

827 posts, read 944,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

It means do what you want, and rainbows will appear offering you money!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,518,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbomb1987 View Post
Recently, I've came to the conclusion that I need to follow my heart for a year, as an experiment. I'm under the impression that by following their heart and intuitions, you'll have greater success and live a happier life in terms of career satisfaction. At the moment, I'm working whatever job I can to make ends meet - but what's the point if it's not satisfying on a personal level? Might as well take a chance and not care for money.

To me, it seems like a reasonable clause. Who's in with me on the challenge?
Have at it, kid. I tried to make a run as a professional golfer at about the same age. Failed, learned some lessons, made some connections, and consider myself pretty darn successful now.

Time cannot be purchased, only spent.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,071,715 times
It would cost me at bare minimum $20,000 a year to live. How do you intend to finance your life if you have no job or responsibilities?

Sure it would be nice to have a year long paid vacation, but being unemployed and broke has 0 appeal.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 PM

104 posts, read 415,405 times
I plan on following my dream of pursuing a PhD next year, so I will be in essence putting my career on hold for five years....the timing on following your dreams is never perfect; of course I am fortunate enough to have a supportive husband who will be able to provide our family for the basic necessities but I foresee lots of rice and beans in our future! But I am glad that I am finally getting ready for that next step in my life.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,418,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,772,698 times
My dog follows his heart & intuition every day. He doesn't have much choice, since he's not very smart and I didn't train him well. Today he stole baloney sandwich from the toddler, then took several used kleenexes from the waste basket and left them under our bed. Now his heart has led him to peacefully nap for the entire afternoon without a care for the future.

I prefer to live a more conventional, logic-focused life. It can get a boring at times, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. My dog seems to enjoy his life more than most people, however, so maybe he's on to something...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,418,107 times
Try to get your dog to pay the rent or at least pay for the kibbles and see what happens.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,212,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
My dog follows his heart & intuition every day. He doesn't have much choice, since he's not very smart and I didn't train him well. Today he stole baloney sandwich from the toddler, then took several used kleenexes from the waste basket and left them under our bed. Now his heart has led him to peacefully nap for the entire afternoon without a care for the future.

I prefer to live a more conventional, logic-focused life. It can get a boring at times, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. My dog seems to enjoy his life more than most people, however, so maybe he's on to something...
I gotta give you rep points for that answer. Couldn't have given a better example!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search