Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Where does it stop? What's the next intrusion, medical history?
It generally stops when the information provided by the applicant is shown to be accurate.
The value of the data presented (good news vs bad news) is almost immaterial
compared to whether the applicant can be considered reliable in what they say.

When discrepancies show up responsible people will insist on knowing what is actually correct.
Don't start the process with known falsehoods or misrepresentations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,395,088 times
Quote:
Where does it stop? What's the next intrusion, medical history?
Next will be retinal scan. Pretty soon we will all need security clearance to work at Micky D's to ensure we don't steal the secret sauce.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,723,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Next will be retinal scan. Pretty soon we will all need security clearance to work at Micky D's to ensure we don't steal the secret sauce.
I worked at a company where they purchased hand prints for the time clocks. You should have seen the uproar over this. Back then I didn't get it but now I do. I balked myself recently when my husband had to get minor surgery and part of the outpatient registration/check in they required his fingerprints. They said the insurance companies now require them. Which was BS but it's a bit daunting.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
They are the same. They usually screen for the following:

1/ Criminal convictions
2/ Previous jobs held & companies worked for
3/ Education verification
4/ Previous addresses/residences
5/ Driving record

Number 5 would only be for a position that involves driving.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,542,403 times
actually background checks are divided into 2 types--mandated background checks for example where a govt agency mandates that an agency fingerprint applicants from state or FBI databases(for example the banking dept mandates that all bank tellers be fingerprinted or the state office of mental health fingerprint all counselors to check for certain felonies).

the second kind are discretionary--the employer isn't under a mandate to fingerprint applicants or they cannot access fingerprint records so they use CRA's (Consumer Reporting Agencies) to obtain criminal records thru the courts where the info is public record

it would seem that many private companies use the latter whereas many govt agencies use the former

Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,968,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Added one more. It was explained to hubby that they check the credit report for extensive short term/gambling debts. (ETA For jobs that does not handle money/in financial fields etc)
Not just for short term and gambling debts. The only thing employers are not interested in is your credit score. Everything else is fair game. Any collections or litigation on your report will raise serious doubts about your ability to handle and manage company assets. A string of late payments shows irresponsibility, poor decision making and lack of judgment. If your monthly payments are larger then what salary will be, which will lead to financial duress, you will be a risk for committing financial exploitation.

There is probably more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,674,440 times
Some states like mine have made it illegal to run background checks unless it relates to the field you are applying for. Personally in the times we are in running credit checks seems like a waste. It makes even less sense when I hear about the ridiculous process one must go through for a $10/hr job.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Number 5 would only be for a position that involves driving.
Not necessarily. That information could be useful for screening for many types of jobs. DUI would be an indication of drug and alcohol abuse, and dependency problems. Reckless driving or speeding is an indication of recklessness. Which could make you a liability risk.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,395,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Some states like mine have made it illegal to run background checks unless it relates to the field you are applying for. Personally in the times we are in running credit checks seems like a waste. It makes even less sense when I hear about the ridiculous process one must go through for a $10/hr job.
Right and what's to say the company you are proposing working for, and running this check, isn't late paying or short paying their vendor. What's to say they aren't spread so thin they think well if we pay Colorado we can't pay our suppliers and we need them to conduct any business so we will screw Colorado over because he is easily replaceable. Where is the credit check for employers because as you said in today's age no one is sure who has good finances.

Now of course we have a relative health of an employer if they are large biz, small biz no way, and yet they just about want to do a full cavity search on us? But alas they hold the cards for now.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Driving? Who knows, I'd imagine since you earned the license.
Driving records are generally limited to ten years. But some information for serious violations such as DUIs can stay on your record longer, and I think your address history can go all the way back. At least here in California.

For all the driving jobs I've ever had, I was able to get away with just providing a three year print out. Which usually looks pretty good for me. I'm a pretty good driver, but when I look at my ten year print out. There are things on there that I forgot all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search